Don Lemon | Rick Santorum

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Rick Santorum Tells Don Lemon He Has Gay Friends

Rs

Hard to believe but Rick "frothy mix" Santorum is yet again claiming that he is not a homophobe. This time he tells interviewer Don Lemon that he had just spent time with a gay friend a couple of days beforehand.

Watch the clip, in which Lemon has the same incredulous reaction I had when I first heard his response, AFTER THE JUMP...

Here's more:

Comments

1. The whole point of a gay person having any kind of a relationship with this dbag is the maybe someday change that cold black heart. Not working so far. Keep trying I guess,. Elton did sing at Rush's wedding for just that reason. didnt work yet either...

Posted by: Tigger | Jun 12, 2011 1:22:39 PM

2. "Having a gay friend doesn't prove you aren't a bigot, it only proves that your friends aren't paying enough attention."

Posted by: Jerry | Jun 12, 2011 1:25:24 PM

3. me thinks Ricky needs to look up the definition of friend.

Posted by: banshiii | Jun 12, 2011 1:50:40 PM

4. I love Don Lemon's body language, its like hes interviewing a spraying skunk.

Posted by: ggreen | Jun 12, 2011 2:03:51 PM

5. Reminds me of way-back-when people who wanted to seem "open-minded" would toss out such bon-bons as "some of my best friends are coloured people".

Rick Santorum has "gay friends"? I doubt it. Unless they're the Log Cabinettes or the GOProud Girls. I'm sure they would support such a candidate. After all, Rick is for free-markets, smaller government, strong national defense, less regulation and states' rights. You know, the things that make those Log Cabinettes and GOProud Girls quiver in their tighty-whiteys.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 12, 2011 4:19:57 PM

6. As always:

Do please shut your fool mouth, Frothy Mix... you're spraying santorum everywhere.

Posted by: Richard Farias | Jun 12, 2011 4:40:06 PM

7. www.spreadingsantorum.com...that is all that I will say on this guy...we're gonna bury him deep in this stuff of his own making.

Posted by: Todd | Jun 12, 2011 4:49:04 PM

8. I'm sure Santorum has gay friends-there is a difference between a public and private persona- he is obviously going after he rabid conservative vote. By the way the other night TCM ran Gore Vidal's "The Best Man" and Cliff Robertson who plays the slimy ( and possible closet case) reminded me of Santorum ( and no please I'm not suggesting the scumbag is gay)

Posted by: jaragon | Jun 12, 2011 5:28:57 PM

9. Friends don't disenfranchise friends.

Posted by: Attmay | Jun 12, 2011 5:57:43 PM

10. @brenda - Good points, and not just for the U.S., here in Australia we have the same issue with "journalists" seeming to ask the questions the politicians want to / can only answer and with very little follow up.

Watching American politics (yes I have become a loser) is now a past time of mine, I find it very fascinating.

As a gay middle aged male I've seen a lot of changes over the years but things have changed or seem to be changing and we unfortunately seem to be going the same way as the U.S.; that is it seems for every step forward there are two back.

I wish the religious "extremists" would either get out of my bed and life for that matter or totally adopt their bible and not pick and choose.

Posted by: Lez | Jun 12, 2011 7:18:29 PM

11. I'm sure he does have gay friends and I'm sure that they are all just like Roy Cohn.

Posted by: brent | Jun 12, 2011 8:29:08 PM

12. You know, at first I was going to jump on the bandwagon saying I'd love to meet these "gay friends" of his (and I still would--get on that 60 Minutes!), but then I started thinking about it, and I'm probably someone's "gay friend" too. I grew up in the South, and while I wasn't out in high school, I've since come out to a handful of those friends (the ones I still keep in touch with), and I would be willing to bet that several of them (not to mention my very conservative extended family) are probably against gay marriage, adoption, etc.

When we talk or hang out, however infrequently, I guess it just gets compartmentalized. I'm not saying that's the upstanding or even the healthy thing to do; I'm just saying that it happens (at least in my experience). Obviously there's a tension, and we'll never be super close because of that, but there's also an inertia to the relationship that extends back to the closet. Does the friendship just stop cold turkey when I come out? You can't just write off everyone who doesn't have a PFLAG bumper sticker on their car.

Does it mean that I'm self-hating or weak-willed because I didn't cut off half of my Christmas card list when I came out? Hmm...possibly. Or maybe I'm an operative for the cause, trying to change hearts and minds from the inside? I really think it's more of a status quo thing than either extreme. And I would guess that a lot of red-state gays could identify on some level.

Santorum's supposed gay friends probably occupy a similar position: they're on the periphery of his circle (an acquaintance from the PTA, coworkers, wife's cousin, etc), and he's using them to shield himself, but they're not close enough to cause him to re-examine his positions on the issue. With that said, I find it really repulsive that he's using his gay friends the way he is--trying to imply that his positions have some kind of gay friend stamp of approval.

Posted by: Hans | Jun 12, 2011 11:02:59 PM

13. Lemon's posture is like--eww, I don't want it on me!

Posted by: Gary | Jun 13, 2011 12:33:25 AM

14. Some of the worst of homophobes alway say they have gay friends,

Perhaps it is their way of hiding their guilt for people they knew who were gay........

Whom these religious creeps helped drive to suicide.

Or is it just another blatant lie. From the same people who talk about sin.

Last time I looked the bible said something about not bearing false witness etc.

Posted by: billy wingarden | Jun 13, 2011 1:26:07 AM

15. BTW, Santorum is a baptist minister. the worst of the worst of the homophobes. the group that gave us slavery, the KKK and segregation.

Posted by: billy wingarden | Jun 13, 2011 1:27:33 AM

16. What a bigot.

He said that the phrase "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance and voluntary student prayer groups... should be less strictly policed. "

In April 2008 he challenged party members to "get in church, reach out to evangelicals [and] link faith with the work that we do." He said "those of us of religious faith [have to] translate our language into a universal language that can appeal to everybody." Secular Coalition of America 2008

MSNBC reports him saying that he "felt a beckoning of the spirit and accepted Jesus Christ into his life." 2008

The PBS Program Religion and Ethics notes that he warned his party "not to run away from religion. He has spoken openly about his own beliefs, and his campaign has employed a vigorous faith-based outreach strategy. Experts say this has earned him support within the religious community, but religion has also generated controversy for him."

"As a starting point, it means I believe in — that Jesus Christ died for my sins, and that I am redeemed through him. That is a source of strength and sustenance on a daily basis.... I believe that marriage is the union between a man and a woman. Now, for me as a Christian — for me — for me as a Christian, it is also a sacred union. God’s in the mix." Transcript, Saddleback Presidential Forum beamed and streamed live to millions on Fox, CNN and MSNBC.

Oops. That's not Santorum. I got my christer bigots all mixed up.

Posted by: Bill Perdue | Jun 13, 2011 2:54:25 AM

17. "I have gay friends" has no relation to the question. He is homophobic, so ask about discrimination in general. Im sure he has black friends, Jewish friends, and women friends, too!

Posted by: Tommyboy | Jun 13, 2011 1:21:45 PM

18. Umm, nope.

If they are not self-loathers, they are at best polite to him. And they probably amount to silly house-gays for bothering with much politeness when it comes to this guy.

He's saying the same thing as Maggie Gallagher and the Mormon "prophet"--and all the other religious tyrants like Dobson and Robertson. These people pray to the hate-gays-god becuz it pays them by riling up haters on their behalf. Never mind that they are supposed to be "Christian." Please.

Posted by: just_a_guy | Jun 13, 2011 11:01:37 PM

19. the saddest thing of all is that he is right about having gay staffers...

some gay republicans either agree that there should not be marriage equality, or they'll do anything for tax cuts and corporate interests

Posted by: r | Jun 14, 2011 2:45:57 PM

20. So if the purpose of marriage is for procreation, what does that mean for the couple that experiences infertility. Must they divorce? What about the elderly couple who marry after losing first spouses. And then Santorum says, marriage and procreation, has been tradition for thousands of years. Well, ummmmm, shouldn't he take care of that troubling divorce rate of more than 50%? What my wife and I do in our bedroom is no one's business but our own.

Posted by: evan | Jun 14, 2011 5:10:10 PM

21. Look let's get real. I like Mr. Lemon when it comes to his professionalism and his ability to cover the story. But when HE OPENS the door to his personal life and his practices by commenting on it in the public, he opens the door to the ramifications of it. Don Lemon is contributing to the demise of the black women, check this story out, and I bet after reading it you won't dare call me a LIAR!!!!

Posted by: Republicanblack | Jun 17, 2011 5:53:22 PM