Crime | Lawrence King | News

BigGayDeal.com

Prosecutor: Brandon McInerney Planned King Murder

Url The defense and prosecutorial teams today offered opening remarks in the trial of Brandon McInerney, who's accused of murdering his classmate, Lawrence King.

As predicted, McInerney's defense team claims King, a gay 14-year old, was an "aggressor" who taunted and tormented McInerney with his sexuality.

"[Brandon is] a confused, emotionally torn 14-year-old from a violent home who saw no other way out than to shoot Larry. It was a heat of the moment decision," said defense attorney, Scott Wippert.

Prosecutors, however, insist McInerney planned and plotted to shoot King.

King was bullied by McInerney and other boys at the school, Deputy Dist. Atty. Maeve Fox said in her opening statement in the trial, which is being conducted at a courthouse in Chatsworth. But shortly before his death, King had begun wearing high heels, makeup and earrings to school and had become more confident in himself, she said.

“Larry King for the first time in his life wasn’t taking it anymore,” Fox said. “And he started to give people what I prefer to call the proverbial chin. Only it was more profane. The proverbial ‘f ... you.’”

The day before King was shot, the two boys had been bickering in a eighth-grade science class, she said. When King got up to get a drink of water, “Brandon said ‘I am going to shoot him.’ And this is what a student will testify to.”

I wonder if this trial will get as much attention as Casey Anthony's trial. I hope that it does; as tragic as King's death was, perhaps this will help open the nation's eyes to how dangerous homophobia can be...

Comments

1. This was always one of the most horrific things I've ever heard of happening in my entire life. Such a sad story, with no possible good conclusion. Whatever the defense cooks up, there's no way he brought that gun into school without at least some intention to use it, which is the very definition of first degree murder. Hopefully, the "gay panic" defense has finally gone the way of the dodo bird.

Posted by: Ryan | Jul 5, 2011 5:25:14 PM

2. I truly hope this trial gets the same amount of attention as Casey Anthony. As for people seeing how dangerous homophobia can be, I'm not holding my breath.

Posted by: SPIguy | Jul 5, 2011 6:04:56 PM

3. I think this sounds a bit more like trans-phobia, but whatever the case is, one life has been lost and for now, the remaining others, seemingly irreparably damaged. Hopefully this will not be just another case of "string the kid up", but rather, what can McInerney do for the rest of his life to change minds...and what about his parents? Will they, aside from years of courtrooms and visiting their son in juvenile detention until he's old enough for prison, be prosecuted in any way? I can't say with any accuracy that Brandon McInerney wasn't a difficult child, but his parents can't be without blame here.

Posted by: ESA | Jul 5, 2011 6:09:37 PM

4. The fact that McInerny is even fighting this means that I have no sympathy for him. He wanted to kill someone and he did and now he wants to get away with it when he should instead strike the best plea deal that he can and spend the rest of his life in remorse. I am sorry that both boys had such hard lives, but lots of people do. Larry King never harmed anyone in his short life, so there's no excuse for McInerny being a cold-blooded killer.

Posted by: ohplease | Jul 5, 2011 6:10:07 PM

5. I can't help wondering if there was a history of sexual encounter between the two boys. Such murders often have a back-story of that kind. Remember the case of the boys two guys who were going to be on Oprah?

Posted by: Danny | Jul 5, 2011 6:20:25 PM

6. Unless a pretty little white girl was involved, I don't see the media covering this case very much.

Posted by: searunner | Jul 5, 2011 6:56:02 PM

7. What a sad story however I can't help but feel that Fox laid it out very nicely with the 'proverbial' comment..

Posted by: S | Jul 5, 2011 7:28:21 PM

8. "...saw no other way out than to shoot Larry."

If this is true, Brandon is a seriously dangerous individual, and should be kept separated from the rest of us.

If this is really going to be the defence, Brandon needs to get himself a new lawyer.

Posted by: Randy | Jul 5, 2011 8:22:28 PM

9. Does anyone else think "Cardassian" when they see this kid? Both in looks and attitude.

(And no, I DON'T mean "Kardashian", although they're nasty too.)

Posted by: NoCaDrummer | Jul 5, 2011 9:49:08 PM

10. In my opinion ..it sounds like Larry had finalee decided he had ENOUGH, and was gonna be himself ..and IF they thought he was a faggot..well hell yea, he's gonna be one and shove it in thier faces..this backstory that they seem to be conjuring up about some romantic feelings is ludicrous.....I can definitely see where Larry would be coming from...6st grade sucked for me too, and yes I was bullied on Ocassion.

Posted by: Disgusted American | Jul 5, 2011 10:08:11 PM

11. Unless a pretty little white girl was involved, I don't see the media covering this case very much.

Posted by: searunner | Jul 5, 2011 6:56:02 PM

=================

Agreed. Always helps when the victim is 'pretty'.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 6, 2011 12:17:44 AM

12. Fry the Nazi.

Posted by: Attmay | Jul 6, 2011 2:04:20 AM

13. We lost Larry... I hope not to lose Brandon. God bless Brandon's heart and save him we all deserve second chance!

Posted by: today | Jul 12, 2011 6:41:36 PM

14. It's a clear case of murder (sneaking the gun into school? Come on!) - & yet if a girl did this because some boy actually raped her, she'd still be going to jail, because, as we all know, rape is always "alleged." Sign me DISGUSTED!

Posted by: Susan | Sep 7, 2011 4:21:34 AM