2012 Election | Gay Marriage | Iowa | News | Rick Santorum

BigGayDeal.com

Rick Santorum Says He Will Go to New York to Overturn Same-Sex Marriage: AUDIO

Rick Santorum frothed up at a campaign stop in Iowa yesterday, vowing to go to New York and help overturn the recently passed marriage equality law.

Santorum Said Santorum of pro-equality advocates:

"They have to have the word. And with THE WORD comes a complete change in society. I am NOT, as some in this race have said, OKAY with New York doing what they're doing. What New York did was wrong. I will oppose it, and I will go to New York, if necessary, and help overturn it."

Listen, AFTER THE JUMP...

As Think Progress notes:

New York, unlike other states, doesn’t have a referendum process by which laws can be overturned, thus requiring opponents to lobby the legislature to approve a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage and then convincing a majority of New York voters to approve it.

Conservative Wall Street Journal columnist James Taranto agrees, calling NOM's campaign in NY to overturn the law a "futile measure" that amounts to "deceptive advertising".

Comments

1. The thing I find most interesting about all of this is...that the majority of the people who are spending their time and money to "Overturn", and before, to "fight", don't even live in NY State. If you don't like our laws, then you don't have to live here, or even visit for that matter. I am against a lot of the laws in Arizona, so there for I don't go there. But I fully support the right of Arizona to make their own laws. New York State made a law that is equal and fair, and takes Religion out of the picture...and these people are at a loss as to what it is they have to stand on to be against it.

Posted by: Reacenyc | Jul 27, 2011 12:01:46 PM

2. Ps. My partner of 7 years and I got our License on Sunday, and we will be married on Friday...we even won a free honeymoon from the city of NY...I love NY, now more than ever......

Posted by: Reacenyc | Jul 27, 2011 12:03:13 PM

3. Okay Dan Savage... time to redefine "Rick."

Posted by: Craig | Jul 27, 2011 12:08:50 PM

4. He can only stay 3 nights though before his account is overdrawn.

Posted by: nodnarb | Jul 27, 2011 12:12:12 PM

5. He just needs to meet the right man. I mean, anybody who protests this strongly......

Posted by: Barry C. | Jul 27, 2011 12:18:03 PM

6. I wonder what these people will finally do when a "vote" actually approves gay marriage. I'm not saying I think it should be put to a vote, ever, but you know at some point one of these "votes" is gonna backfire on them and then what do they do? Go to the "activist" judges to have it overturned? Of course, I think this is just all a ploy to keep GOP voters from thinking about the real issues. The GOP can't really campaign on a platform of no taxes for the rich and taking away entitlements to all others... they know that wouldn't allow them to win but that is what they really stand for.

Posted by: Randy | Jul 27, 2011 12:18:15 PM

7. Thank you for reminding me to google "Santorum".

Posted by: Mike | Jul 27, 2011 12:25:14 PM

8. Not that I should totally dismiss him, but does anyone really care what Sanitarium is up to?

Posted by: jakeinlove | Jul 27, 2011 12:32:11 PM

9. Since he's not a resident of New York, shouldn't he just STFU?

Posted by: jaymax | Jul 27, 2011 12:39:24 PM

10. Dan Savage is gonna get you, Rick, and your first name too!

Posted by: Jeffrey in St. Louis | Jul 27, 2011 12:43:30 PM

11. if this piece of filth tried to set foot in new york he's going to get a rather direct and in your face lot of attitude from the people who live here. Santorum you are not welcome.

Posted by: paul | Jul 27, 2011 12:46:01 PM

12. wow - talk about a One Trick Pony! Santorum's wife should be asking herself..."WHY is my husband Sooo Obsessed with Gays? ...and What IF one of Our children could be/or are gay....will they run away,take drugs,kill themselves because of thier father"???? This man needs serious HELP!

Posted by: Gay American | Jul 27, 2011 12:54:41 PM

13. Is it just me or does it seem like he's talking to a room of 5 people...

Posted by: Dan | Jul 27, 2011 12:58:44 PM

14. Stay out of my state Ricky!

Posted by: AJ | Jul 27, 2011 12:59:13 PM

15. Why should anyone have the right to campaign against a law in a state in which they don't even reside? Why have legislatures to pass laws if idiots like this scumbag want to overturn them? Mob rule is never okay otherwise we're not living in a democracy.If NOM's HQ isn't in New York, we should be suing to force disclosure of its major donors. Under section 501(c) 4 of the IRS code, non-profits must disclose the source of donations of $1000 or more by individuals and $5000 or more by corporations. NOM has ignored a recent court request I believe in Minnesota or was it Maine, to satisfy the court ruling. Why is nothing happening I wonder? Not even a prosecution for failure to comply?

Posted by: robert in nyc | Jul 27, 2011 1:00:08 PM

16. ok...I'm sorry...but I expect a presidential hopefull to wear something a bit nicer than the stafford collection from JC Penny... he looks like he stepped out of a sears add in 1993...that is the ugliest effing tie I have EVER seen!

also..hes a misguided illspoken tard who has no chance of becoming president.. so..BAM!

Posted by: Amaezm | Jul 27, 2011 1:01:51 PM

17. Everyone wanting Jobs and for the government to focus on Jobs, and this man prioritizes interfering in a specific New York Law. Your late to the battle Santorum, and you lost. Your run was over before it even started.

Posted by: Redebbm | Jul 27, 2011 1:02:15 PM

18. If someone as odious as ex-Senator Santorum went to New York to try and overturn same-sex marriage, it would probably have the effect of solidifying support for Same-sex marriage.

Posted by: Hank | Jul 27, 2011 1:02:50 PM

19. I love the picture accompanying the story. He looks like a big frothy mess!

Posted by: Leto | Jul 27, 2011 1:03:23 PM

20. He will have a lot of time on his hands shortly and he needs another paying gig. This will be his audition tape for one of the various hate groups trying to make a buck out of gay hate.

Posted by: PLAINTOM | Jul 27, 2011 1:08:57 PM

21. Message to Rick Santorum, Stay the Fu*k out of NY!

Posted by: NY2.0 | Jul 27, 2011 1:12:18 PM

22. His attempt to gain traction through social issues is not going to work. NY was partly sold on the marriage issue because it would bring more tourist dollars to the state where UE is over 9%.

Posted by: anon | Jul 27, 2011 1:19:06 PM

23. Congratulations and best wishes to Reacenyc!

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Jul 27, 2011 1:19:21 PM

24. The nr 1 issue in his life - gays getting married. What the ... ?

Posted by: Matt26 | Jul 27, 2011 1:33:34 PM

25. why is he coming here we don't want him and apparently neither does pa. they voted him out by double digits. the man can't raise any money doesn't he know expensive n.y. is? he will have to take a second mortgage on his trailer.

Posted by: walter | Jul 27, 2011 1:53:16 PM