Education | Facebook | Florida | Gay Marriage | News

BigGayDeal.com

Same-Sex Marriage-Hating Florida Teacher Jerry Buell Talks to TMZ, Won't Discuss Homosexuality: VIDEO

Jerry_buell

Florida teacher Jerry Buell, suspended earlier this week for anti-gay remarks on Facebook, talks to TMZ:

"I am opposed to same-sex marriage. I don't like it. As far as the individual, the person, that has no relevance in my classroom whatsoever. It doesn't matter what color, race, background, sexual orientation. If you could be flies on the wall tomorrow morning when my kids come into my classroom and see this strange face and wonder who this guy is, I'm gonna make sure that they know that I'm going to treat them with full respect and I tell them, I could care less about where you come from, what race, what nationality, sexual orientation..."

Buell refuses to discuss his views on homosexuality with the hosts, reiterating: "I have a deep moral objection to same-sex marriage."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. What an insufferable tool. He'll be elected to public office in Florida in 3...2...1...

Posted by: The Milkman | Aug 26, 2011 12:32:09 PM

2. I really hope he has some students that make the school year miserable for him.

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Aug 26, 2011 12:38:18 PM

3. Sorry, hater. You say your bigotry has no relevance to any of the impressionable kids who are put under your charge in a classroom? Tell it to Lawrence King...

Posted by: kit | Aug 26, 2011 12:40:18 PM

4. I had teachers like this in school (1973-85). I was very miserable from the treatment of my classmates, who singled me out as sexually different. And to add insult to injury, through the years as a student, there were several teachers who also pegged my sexual orientation and attempted to make a mockery of me in the classroom. I feel sorry for gay students they have another level of stress they have to content with on a daily basis and bigots like this only add to their angst.

Posted by: stevenelliot | Aug 26, 2011 12:44:18 PM

5. That makes about as much intellectual sense as "I have no problem with black people, I just think they shoudn't be allowed to marry white people."

Which is to say none whatsoever.

newsflash - the only reason one has a problem with Gay Marriage is because one has a problem with GAY PEOPLE>

fact.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 26, 2011 12:48:08 PM

6. How does one "disagree" with homosexuality? That's absurd and akin to disagreeing with gravity. Homosexuality exists, period.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Aug 26, 2011 12:49:24 PM

7. I give the TMZ guys credit for persistence, but that was frustrating. They kept talking about Buell simply "taking a position" on same-sex marriage. It wasn't a "position". A position is "I am opposed to same-sex marriage". He said it made him want to throw up, and he called gay life a cesspool. He wasn't calling same-sex marriage a cesspool. Those are the things that should make a gay student, or relative of someone gay, feel uncomfortable in his classroom. I wish the TMZ guys had mentioned Buell's own words.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Aug 26, 2011 12:55:06 PM

8. I'd like people to start calling out the language of "moral objection". On what moral basis do you object to gay marriage? Where is the morality in denying committed couples the right to legal protections?

Posted by: mike128 | Aug 26, 2011 1:08:51 PM

9. He's a History teacher ...*rolls eyes*... and we all know current events have nothing to do with history.

Posted by: Roger | Aug 26, 2011 1:12:24 PM

10. Doesn't matter what "deep moral objection" you have, wrong is still wrong.

Just like when people had a "deep moral objection" to blacks and whites going to school together or getting married.

When are we going to stop allowing people to use that excuse?

Posted by: KevinVT | Aug 26, 2011 1:22:02 PM

11. i have a deep, moral objection to bigots.

Posted by: dattexas | Aug 26, 2011 1:31:05 PM

12. @Steven Elliot

I had a teacher like that in school in the 80s too, though maybe not quite so obvious about it. One day he made a comment about "that fag Boy George" (this is when Culture Club was a new group) and I decided I'd had enough. I did a caricature of him in Hasidic hat and braids with bows on them like Boy George wore at the time, with the words "Boy [his name]" written on the hat. Then I silk-screened T-shirts of it and sold them in school on "Awards Day," one of the last days of school. I probably would have gotten into all sorts of trouble except my art teacher helped me make them and she was his wife! :-)

I still remember it fondly as the day I got a little bit of revenge for the educational homophobia I received in his class.

The good news with this Buell schmuck is that if he DOES say anything in class it's likely students will stand up to him and probably have cell phone video of it as proof!

Posted by: Codswallop | Aug 26, 2011 1:40:09 PM

13. You know there are pragmatic reasons to be tolerant. Had the school authorities simply ignored his position on same-sex marriage, he wouldn't have turned into a martyr persecuted by the gay lobby.

Let me explain how this situation looks like to anyone outside of the gay circles. A teacher of the year voiced a mainstream opinion on same-sex marriage, maybe a little bit too colorfully. Nonetheless, his opinion is shared by a large majority of Floridians. He did it outside of classroom. And now he is at risk of losing his job. This is exactly what the folks who opposed normalization of homosexuality warned us about. The schools would teach the gay lifestyle, and school teachers who opposed it would be fired.

This case confirms some of the worst fears about the gays.

Posted by: AG | Aug 26, 2011 1:43:16 PM

14. "the worst fears about the gays?"

What? that we're gonna stand up tot he promotion of prejudice against us?

look, AG, we GET IT. you never stood up to your family, because they'd rather you were dead than their child, because you suck cock.

we GET it. you're a coward and a wimp and are angry at all the LGBT people who aren't.

grow a pair.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 26, 2011 1:52:10 PM

15. Kiwi, stop being such a caricature of a hateful, angry gay man. Given that you know nothing about me, your insinuations about my family are so off base, they are not even wrong. Stop projecting.

Posted by: AG | Aug 26, 2011 1:58:46 PM

16. "I don't think coloreds should marry whites, but I don't want to talk about being a racist..." - ROTFL - Hatred cannot be defended, so they just clam up and continue with the ugliness. He would NOT be teaching my children.

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Aug 26, 2011 2:15:58 PM

17. The good thing about High School kids, is that if they can put the needle to a teacher, they're going to. There will be a kid at that school that will make it their duty to hold this teacher to his words... it should be good.

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Aug 26, 2011 2:18:32 PM

18. There is no one "outside the gay circle" AG.

We are part of society -- present at every level in it, as much as you'd like to ignore that fact.

Not that a KAPO like you should care.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 26, 2011 2:52:50 PM

19. @AG: He didn't lose his job, and he is not at risk of losing his job over his public Facebook statements. (Though teachers who have said far less hostile things, unrelated to gay equality, have been fired.) He may be in trouble because his immature FB shenanigans have exposed his desire to not only bring God into the classroom but to be Jesus.

As for this case confirming the worst fears about gays, nonsense. Remaining silent in response to this idiot's hateful ramblings would confirm the worst fears about gay apathy and timidity. Do you think that Christians would remain quiet so as not to rock any boats if a gay teacher made similar cesspool vomit remarks about the value of religious liberty? Hell no. People are speaking out against this bigot because speaking out against bigotry is the right thing to do, unless you're a coward or a troll.

Posted by: Ernie | Aug 26, 2011 3:54:47 PM

20. @Ernie, AG is a coward and a troll.

Your average gay white conservative with bigoted parents who resents all LGBT people who have more balls than he'll ever know.

he never stood up to daddy, daddy doesn't love him, and he resents the rest of us who don't suck up to bullies.

GOProud would love his wimpy ass.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 26, 2011 4:00:16 PM

21. What Dastius said.

Posted by: BobN | Aug 26, 2011 4:28:47 PM

22. Do you think that Christians would remain quiet so as not to rock any boats if a gay teacher made similar cesspool vomit remarks about the value of religious liberty? Hell no.
    *****

Ernie, the most Christian and often the most persuasive way is to forgive the one who offended you. (I say this as an atheist.) You may argue that this is not how anti-gay Christians would behave. It's true some (or many) of them wouldn't. But why should we imitate the worst behavior of our enemies? Shouldn't we take the high road? And in this particular case the high road would have benefited us both right now and the future.

Being perceived as hateful is a disadvantage.

Posted by: AG | Aug 26, 2011 4:43:22 PM

23. it's no hateful to defy hateful prejudice and bigoted comments.

it's not hateful to not tolerate someone else's bigotry.

wise up.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 26, 2011 4:48:00 PM

24. AG: Speaking out against bigots (in this case, a social studies teacher who doesn't understand the constitution or civil rights) teaching gay kids and kids from gay families IS the high road. Silence is the low road of cowardice.

Posted by: Ernie | Aug 26, 2011 4:50:17 PM

25. talking to AG is like talking to a GOProud member. the Stockholm Syndrome is so intense they can't see reality.

he thinks defying bigotry is wrong, but the poor sap also thinks his parents love him. and they don't.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 26, 2011 4:54:11 PM