Brandon McInerney | Crime | Lawrence King | News

Defense in Brandon McInerney Case Suggests Lawrence King Asked for What He Got by Sexually Taunting His Killer

The L.A. Times reports that in the trial of Brandon McInerney for the murder of classmate Lawrence King, the defense has been loading up the "he asked for it" witnesses:

Kingmcinerney How school officials handled King has emerged as a major theme of McInerney's defense attorneys, who acknowledge that the boy pulled the trigger but say that he was pushed to the breaking point by King's taunts.

That King taunted McInerney:

It wasn't just that King, 15, had begun wearing makeup and women's spiked-heeled boots, witnesses testified. It was that he seemed to relish making the boys squirm at his newly feminized appearance and was taunting them with comments like "I know you want me."

And gay panic drove him to put a bullet in King's brain:

On the following Monday, the grievance was denied by the school's administration, Ekman said. King, meanwhile, continued to clash with boys at school and paid special attention to McInerney, according to court testimony. After lunch that day, he passed McInerney in a corridor and mockingly said, "Love you baby!"

History teacher Arthur Saenz testified that on that same Monday, Feb. 11, 2008, he noticed King "parading" back and forth in high-heeled boots and makeup near a bench where McInerney was sitting after school waiting to be picked up. A group of boys was laughing as McInerney grew visibly angry, Saenz testified.

Closing arguments are likely next week.

Comments

1. Your headline is inaccurate. The defense said nothing like " he asked to be murdered" ///your whole coverage of this has been keen to overdraw every element of the facts of the story. The defense has raised the factual evidence that king was no passive victim in the months precedeing the awful murder. King is also on record for having sexually assaulted another boy in 5th grade and they would not allow it into evidence. There is a web page that has both prosecution and defense arguments side by side. That is a good thing to read for anyone who wants to know the cases being made by the two sides.

Posted by: JH | Aug 12, 2011 8:44:57 AM

2. and it is not a gay panic defense. It is a sexual harassment defense against a boy already on record for sexual assault

Posted by: JH | Aug 12, 2011 8:47:18 AM

3. So nice to see the defense reads towleroad. What's next for Brandon after he gets acquitted? Marriage to Casey Anthony?

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 12, 2011 8:54:40 AM

4. Once again, as usual, "JH" comes on to angrily show us all that his father never loved him and that he just wishes he hadn't been born a homosexual. We get it, JH, you're a resentful and reluctant homosexual who was a disappointment to his father every day of his f****ng life. Get over it and piss off.

JH - one more wimpy uncle tom who blame "the faggy ones" for the hatred and bigotry of others.

King simply did what angers a bigot most - to embrace and own the very things that had previously been used against you.

The bully becomes "emasculated" because the intended victim defies them with their own colours.

The defense is playing ugly and they know it. And JH is intentionally contrary because his daddy hated him for being gay and he needs to say and do "the opposite of what the other gays say and do" to get through the daily struggle it is to be himself.

Not our problem, wimp.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 12, 2011 9:18:26 AM

5. THIS is "JH" and his fellow wannabe-Contrarians - http://youtu.be/2R6jqMysHaA

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 12, 2011 9:26:00 AM

6. Great, so America is the land where I can get shot by another boy because I'm gay, and even though I'm dead, it is still all my fault... Then Michele Bachmann wins for president... then I get prosecuted and burned in public display.

Posted by: Rafael C | Aug 12, 2011 9:34:24 AM

7. Yes, "sexual harassment=should be shot"

If that were the case, the male population of the U.S. would be cut in half.

JH, you are an apologist to murder.

Posted by: Polyboy | Aug 12, 2011 9:54:20 AM

8. Seems like a murdered gay child is worth even less to society than a live one, 'cause when he gets put down 'it was his own fault, he brought it on himself, ect.'

I know countless cases like these won't be covered as much and scrutinized or garner as much sympathy from the public, but it always makes me grieve.

Posted by: trev | Aug 12, 2011 10:03:32 AM

9. An effeminate kid gets murdered in cold blood, and Christian apologists will tell you that Jesus wouldn't have approved. But the Xtian apologist position is deeply hypocritical and irrelevant to Christian theology. Jesus didn't found the Christian religion, Paul did, and Paul is responsible for the theology that Christians accept. Does Paul have something to say about the Brandon King case? Yes! In one gem from the New Testament, Paul tells people that the "effeminate" are unrighteous and will not inherit the kingdom of God. (I Corinthians 6:9-10)

JH's comment above merely reflects modern Christianity in practice. Saying otherwise is hypocrisy.

Posted by: Artie Rimbaud | Aug 12, 2011 10:29:57 AM

10. Wrong, Artie.
    "effeminate" is not the correct word - effeminate, remember, is a societal concept that does indeed change meaning from era to era, culture to culture. Scripturally It is in no way a condemnation, nor even a mention, of anything to do with "being effeminate"

it's a mistranslation from the Greek - originally meant to specifically refer to the young male prostitutes that worked in the temples.

i repeat, "effeminate" is a mistranslation. it has nothing at all to do with that word, nor the modern concept of what that word supposedly means.

the original greek was directly referencing young men working as prostitutes working in temples.

so, that's the truth about your post. thanks. hope it enlightened you.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 12, 2011 10:37:12 AM

11. I don't care what happened, who taunted who, who had a panic attack, who got abused by their father, or who wore makeup. None of that matters. There is no excuse for murdering someone. He's guilty - plain and simple.

Posted by: Davey | Aug 12, 2011 11:06:18 AM

12. Maybe King was acting like an ass, I don't know since I wasn't there. Yet who bloody well cares? He was an emotionally immature teen just like McInerney, as most are at that age especially when it come to sex and sexuality. Heck, I was teased, bullied, etc. as most kids were at some point growing up and guess what? Not once did I take a gun, walk up to my 'nemesis' and shoot him in the back of the head in cold blood. That is the only salient fact of this case as far as I'm concerned. Now if I and just about all the others I grew up with - gay and straight - could refrain from such behavior I fail to see why McInerney should be given a free pass. No. He crossed a line and whatever King may or may not have done is completely irrelevant now.

Posted by: JohnAGJ | Aug 12, 2011 11:09:40 AM

13. After enduring the bullying of this lowlife degenerate child-killer, Lawrence King fought back in the only way he knew how. Unless Lawrence King held a gun on his killer, his killer had no right or reason to kill Lawrence King.

Of course, Lawrence King couldn't threaten his killer with a gun, since the lowlife degenerate coward executed Lawrence King FROM BEHIND as he sat in his class at school.

I only wish there was a hell so that his degenerate killer, his killer's family, and his entire defense team could burn in it for all eternity.

Posted by: ohplease | Aug 12, 2011 11:20:34 AM

14. No, guys, all I am saying is read the real progress of both sides of this trial, you can find it here:

no one on earth would suggest that any child was asking for murder. I never said it, and I have never heard anyone say it.

Posted by: JH | Aug 12, 2011 11:30:32 AM

15. Well, the multiple charges in the case mean that the defense can try for a manslaughter conviction rather than an acquittal. The benefits of juvenile court is that the impaired judgment of the young is taken into account with the indictment process and with sentencing. If things are done in adult court you end up with a lot of gamesmanship.

Posted by: anon | Aug 12, 2011 11:33:39 AM

16. as far as I know, there is no one who contests that Mcinerney did not murder King. There are still a lot of facts to know so this doesn't happen again. Everyone at the school knew there was trouble brewing and no one did anything about it. Both boys complained to teachers and counselors. Where were the adults?

There are reasons for the travel advisories to Jamaica for gay men who want to show affection publicly. It is not because hatred is OK, it is because if they act that way, they may get killed, and gay men have been killed in Jamaica. Glad we have the travel advisory.

Posted by: JH | Aug 12, 2011 11:35:19 AM

17. @ Little Kiwi,

I understand that the original scripture has been mistranslated into English. Nowhere in my post did I say otherwise. You are not "enlightening" me, you are putting words in my mouth. You are attacking a straw man that is not present in my comment.

Please read my post:

"JH's comment above merely reflects modern Christianity in practice."

I was not arguing in my post that the bible hasn't been mistranslated. I am stating the obvious fact that the vast, vast majority of English-speaking Christians (and almost all of the hateful ones) do not regard "effeminate" as a mistranslation. If you think they do, you're on another planet. So really, what difference does it make in the real world if you and I both know that this is a mistranslation? The sentiments expressed in the present translation reflect "modern Christianity in practice", as I said in my comment.

I admit that, so far, you haven't denied the hateful understanding that most Christians have regarding their "scriptures". To that extent, you're not lying, but merely offering information that is irrelevant to most Christians, especially the overtly anti-gay bigots. Have I enlightened you?

Posted by: Artie Rimbaud | Aug 12, 2011 11:44:14 AM

18. By the defense' logic, the Littleton, Colorado shooters were also justified in their actions. They too were bully victims.

BS

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Aug 12, 2011 11:55:11 AM

19. Alright JH, I'll bite.

I'll concede, only for the sake of argument, that Lawrence King sexually harassed Brandon McInerney. You believe that the appropriate and legally justified response was for McInerney to put two bullets in the back of King's head. No law allows anyone to respond to sexual harassment with violence.

There was, however, no sexual harassment. The evidence at trial shows that King made comments to McInerney, at most, a handful of times and those comments were made during arguments. They were clearly taunts or insults and McInerney insulted King as well.

To be quite blunt, JH, you're an idiot. But what is more offensive than your stupidity are your claims that you are not excusing McInerney's actions even as you are excusing McInerney's actions.

Posted by: Not JH | Aug 12, 2011 12:33:42 PM

20. The best advice my mother ever gave me: "It may be the reason, but it's not an excuse."

Posted by: Andrew F | Aug 12, 2011 12:37:15 PM

21. One child is dead, another is forever changed and will likely end up in jail, two families are torn apart, an entire community is in mourning and confusion, and this is a product of our society. 15? These children grew up in the new millennium. How jaded must one be to justify this horrible incident? Those who spout hatred and homophobia put the gun in his hand, and the impetus to pull the trigger.

Posted by: Jesus | Aug 12, 2011 12:38:16 PM

22. @Little Kiwi, actually, "effeminate" is a perfect translation for 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 (unless you deny Greek Primacy). The Greek text reads "ουτε πορνοι ουτε ειδωλολατραι ουτε μοιχοι ουτε μαλακοι ουτε αρσενοκοιται," "neither prostitutes, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor the effeminate, nor those-who-bed-with-men." Μαλακος literally means "milk-fed," c.f. Russian Молоко, but glossing it as "effeminate" has the full support of the entire Ancient Greek corpus. Now, if you *really* want to argue hermeneutics, go with the term αρσενοκοιται, which may not have any equivalent in English.

Posted by: LFB | Aug 12, 2011 12:55:02 PM

23. We should feel pity for the reasons that @Jesus states, for both kids. Admittedly I feel much much worse for the victim, but I cannot fully justify a lack of compassion toward the other teen as well. The whole situation is absolutely heart-wrenching: there are no winners, there is no resolution, and there will never be justice for this crime.

The only possible positive that may in small part come of this (and thousands of other pointless hate crimes) is that maybe someday this country will get behind the idea that sex is not shameful (and therefore really not that big a deal) or linked to one's core identity and quality; and that gender identity and sexual orientation say nothing about the goodness of a human being. Maybe even young people can be taught that lesson, taking one more burden off their shoulders during this most turbulent period in their lives.

Posted by: Andalusian Dog | Aug 12, 2011 1:27:00 PM

24. Little Kiwi
    I agree with you that modern " christianity" is a big problem for more than just tolerance. But none of my comments were directed to you or were about Christianity. So I don't understand your nasty comments to me at all. I was only suggesting everyone read the best and most complete record of the trial. That's all. I'll stand by that. I've justified nothing, I've excused nothing. I've suggested people be as informed as possible - so these kinds of things can be avoided in the future. I'll stand by that too.

Posted by: JH | Aug 12, 2011 1:36:19 PM

25. @ Little Kiwi,

LFB may actually be more fluent in Greek than you. You never know. Notwithstanding the opinions about translations from the Greek, the main point of my post remains valid. The vast majority of American Xtians don't give a rat's ass about the meaning of the biblical texts in the original languages, and you know that, Little Kiwi. The hateful English bible quotation by Paul, which I included in my original comment, is understood and accepted by Xtians in the U.S., and it's one of the reasons why Brandon King is dead.

Little Kiwi, please tell the other readers that you're not afraid to confront the hate from modern Christians. I'm sure we'll all be proud of you if you say that.

Posted by: Artie Rimbaud | Aug 12, 2011 1:37:09 PM