Brandon McInerney | Crime | Education | Lawrence King | News

Self-Expression, Abuse, Tolerance Issues Raised at Trial of Lawrence King's Teen Killer: VIDEO

Testimony continues in the trial of Brandon McInerney for the murder of his classmate Lawrence King, the AP reports:

Kingmcinerney Jill Ekman told jurors that 15-year-old Larry King wore even more makeup after she told him to stop drawing attention to himself, the Ventura County Star reported.

She said King told her the school's assistant vice-principal, Joy Epstein, said he could. She said she went and spoke to Epstein, and was told King had constitutional rights to do so. Later, an email message was issued telling teachers that King's attire was allowed and that they should try to teach students tolerance.

Ekman said she incorporated the message of tolerance into her lessons, but that the problem continued. She said boys complained to her that King was chasing them into the bathroom.

"I explained to him that what he was doing was inappropriate and he laughed and said that he could go into the boys' bathroom and he liked to see them squirm," she said.

Four days after Ekman went to Epstein again and received the same answer, King was shot in the head in the classroom.

Yesterday I mentioned that McInerney's brother testified on Tuesday about the abuse they suffered at the hands of their father, in a home filled with drugs and violence.

Watch the FOX11 report on that testimony, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Lawrence King was annoying and so he had to be killed.

Lawrence King's killer was a vicious bully, so he had to and was justified in killing Lawrence King.

Lawrence King's rotten family and abusive background caused him to act out and that meant that he had to be killed.

Lawrence King's killer's rotten family and abusive background meant that he had to and was justified in killing Lawrence King.

Because Lawrence King was the queer kid, he was the one without any rights.

Because Lawrence King's killer is presumably straight, he was the one doing the world a favor by killing a queer kid.

If the jury falls for this, and I assume they will, I weep for our world.

Posted by: justme | Aug 4, 2011 11:05:21 AM

2. Sad story all around. IMO Ms. Epstein was particularly irresponsible, and has blood on her hands.

Posted by: ratbastard | Aug 4, 2011 11:12:40 AM

3. Wow, even in California, the trial as descended into a gay bashing fest with no homo going unvillainized. The murder victim, the lesbian Principal and even the very idea of teaching tolerance has been elevated to vile criminals committing vile criminal acts.

I would expect this from my home state of Mississippi but I had, for some daft reason, expected better from California. California continues to disappoint me with each and every opportunity they've been given to live up to their reputation of being a forward thinking, progressive and live and let live state. I still think California looks more like Mississippi than anyone wants to admit once you get out of San Francisco and LA (and all too often even in San Francisco and LA).

Posted by: TampaZeke | Aug 4, 2011 11:13:02 AM

4. Agree with JUSTME. Even where minority sexuality is not involved, these trials can deteriorate into a focus group on how sympathetic the defendant is compared to the victim.

Home abuse could conceivably be relevant to the penalty phase, but not to guilt or innocence, absent an insanity defense.

One would think that shooting a kid a couple of times in the head is simply not allowed.

Posted by: Russell | Aug 4, 2011 11:14:18 AM

5. If the kid's gay then of course it's allowed.

The perp's gonna walk.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 4, 2011 11:21:46 AM

6. Lawrence King was executed because he was gay. Period. I don't care if he came to school looking like Boy George's love child EVERY day, he did not deserve to be shot in the back of the head. A child, still a baby to most of us, was shot like a dog in front of his peers.

I don't care how much abuse the shooter endured. He knows right from wrong. He brought a gun to school. He thought about this.

Posted by: Verdon Coleman | Aug 4, 2011 11:29:55 AM

7. Do I feel sorry for Mr McInerney for the suffering he endured at the hands of his father? Yes. But it isn't relevant.

I had an abusive father. I did not think nor plan to kill my presumed tormentors at school. Even at times when I was physically assaulted in classes for which there was no provocation and in which teachers turned a blind eye. I did not.

There is no justification for what Mr McInerney did to Lawrence King. None.

If he is found innocent, there will be riots and chaos, the likes of which have not been seen since Harvey Milk's and George Moscone's assassinations for there will have ceased to be any justice.

Posted by: Marc C | Aug 4, 2011 11:33:39 AM

8. We must demand justice for someone braver than anyone else on this forum. When are we gonna get angry enough to do something? I mean something beyond gym, the office, happy hour and shopping away our gay shame.

Posted by: Haga | Aug 4, 2011 11:34:11 AM

9. It doesn't excuse the murder, but King's behavior is part of this story and is important to understanding what happened. I thought that he "sassed" McInerny as a way of getting back at a bully. But it seems that he was harassing multiple boys, even chasing them into the restroom to "watch them squirm". He seems to have been mentally disturbed and should have been suspended or expelled. I don't think it is fair to put this case in the same category as the others from last September.

Posted by: Priya | Aug 4, 2011 11:52:14 AM

10. The kid's gonna get manslaughter or 2nd-degree murder, and it'll probably be reduced to "time served" or somesuch.

Marc and Haga are right; if this miscarriage occurs, folks had better be in the streets, "White Night riot" style. If we don't stand up and say "this is not acceptable," we're going to keep seeing more of this sort of thing, especially now that "DADT" is done and gay marriage is OK'd in New York--all one crazy person with a gun needs is an opportunity.

Posted by: Dback | Aug 4, 2011 11:55:25 AM

11. The law takes into consideration PROVOCATION. In no way did Lawrence King deserve to be executed [he was calmly, coldly executed] but his deliberately provocative behavior [not just acting and dressing like a girl, but deliberately harassing others because got off doing it] is an important part of the story. And his being encouraged by an adult in authority [Ms. Epstein, who should have known better the possible negative, even violent, ramifications] was egregious.

Posted by: ratbastard | Aug 4, 2011 12:16:08 PM

12. This was a sad read. Tragic.

I have a friend of mine that was abused beyong belief by his father. And he is perhaps the kindest soul that I know.

They need to hang this killer.

Posted by: Mitch | Aug 4, 2011 12:27:01 PM

13. Everyone here is guilty, including King.

Posted by: Craig in Portland | Aug 4, 2011 12:28:01 PM

14. Lawrence didn't harass any goddam body. He was responding to harassment in a way which is often used by feminine boys: to become even more flamboyant and daring in the face of cruel treatment. I remember that defense mechanism very well.

Craig,

what the f.ck are you?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 4, 2011 12:40:37 PM

15. OK - SO there's something that I'm not getting... he was different, he was annoying, so that was a good enough reason for someone to kill him? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that appears to be the message that his defense is sending out...

Posted by: pdxblueyes | Aug 4, 2011 12:41:07 PM

16. Unless Lawrence King pulled down the shooter's pants and forced a blow job on him, what is the provocation? Being who he is? No excuse for executing him.

Posted by: Verdon Coleman | Aug 4, 2011 12:48:22 PM

17. At the end of the day, we can discuss the ins and outs all we want, but ultimately, Brandon McInerney shot Lawrence King in the head for being gay. And there are zero excuses for what he did. ZERO. There may be reasons he became such a disturbed individual that he would seek out such a crime to commit, but that doesn't excuse in any way the fact he got a gun and killed Lawrence because he didn't like Lawrence's sexuality.

Posted by: Francis | Aug 4, 2011 1:12:33 PM

18. If this killer gets a free pass for executing this child, then what's stopping a killer from some day getting a free pass for executing you or someone you love for the crime of existing.

If I killed everyone who annoyed me, my life would be a 24-hour bloodbath.

Of course Lawrence King didn't deserve to be executed for being who he was or for living his life the best he could. Of course he should have been told there was nothing wrong with him, because there was nothing wrong with him.

It's beneath contempt to "blame" the only adult who was in this child's corner, especially while nobody is saying a word about the uncounted adults who let Lawrence King's killer develop into a vicious bully and a child murderer. There was nothing wrong with this killer, apparently, but everything wrong with the queer kid.

And THIS is on an LGBT blog comment's section. Imagine what that jury will be saying in deliberation.

Posted by: justme | Aug 4, 2011 1:12:40 PM

19. I still think that they should not be trying this kid as an adult. Sure, he's every kind of bad, but I think we are backward country if we are trying 14yos as adults--even in crimes as hateful and disturbing as this.

Posted by: Kyle | Aug 4, 2011 1:35:27 PM

20. Dear rat bastard. The law "takes into consideration" legitimate legal defenses to murder. Provocation (and harrasment) are not defenses to murder. You are wrong. Signed, a former prosecutor for the same county which is now prosecuting Brandon King.

Posted by: John | Aug 4, 2011 1:39:27 PM

21. @ Derrick in Philly.

It's stated in the article that King was told to stop harassing boys at the school by following them into the bathroom. To which he grinned at the advise and said "it was fun".

I'm not saying murder is appropriate.
    But in the animal kingdom, when you tell the kids to stop pulling the growling dogs tail, you don't blame the dog when he finally bites the kid.

I'm saying everyone played their part to make this tragedy happen. That is all.

Posted by: Craig in Portland | Aug 4, 2011 1:42:40 PM

22. @Craig In Portland: What you are saying is that this murder is justified. You are, in fact, blaming the victim, no matter how you want to spin it.

The moment you said "Everyone here is guilty, including King", you are saying "He got what he deserved."

Posted by: Verdon Coleman | Aug 4, 2011 1:58:08 PM

23. Don't assume to tell me what I think. I said what I think.
    It's wildly inappropriate for a gay student to take advantage of his "gayness" to harass others. Period.

BUT, MURDER IS NOT an appropriate response. The Irish kid deserves what he gets also.

Posted by: Craig in Portland | Aug 4, 2011 2:03:26 PM

24. If the line in the sand for murder is provacation and annoyance, half of this thread would be six feet under.
    Thats how ridiculous those arguments are. Yes, the poor poor boy was flirted with and chased into a bathroom. Man, I wish my problems in HS were as BAD as that. (rolls eyes)

Posted by: JT | Aug 4, 2011 2:03:27 PM

25. Everyone in this case stopped caring about how the people involved might feel. This is really why it's so tragic.
    Mcinnerny's parents didn't teach him to respond appropriately.
    Kings parents didn't handle his harassment appropriately.
    The school didn't act on any of this appropriately.

It's just all tragic.
    But yes, everyone here is guilty.

Posted by: Craig in Portland | Aug 4, 2011 2:11:06 PM