Ghana | News

BigGayDeal.com

Presbyterian Church of Ghana to Set Up Gay 'Cure' Centers

Following calls from a regional Ghanaian Minister to arrest all homosexuals, the Presbyterian Church of Ghana says it plans to "pray the gay away" at special therapy centers, Ghana News Agency reports:

Ghana The church has therefore called on the government to come out with a clear position on homosexuality in the country, to enable the church to offer the necessary support in helping to reduce the spread of the practice in the society.

The Moderator of the General Assembly of the PCG, Right Reverend Professor Emmanuel Martey said this at the commissioning of 36 Ministerial Probationers of the church at the Ranseyer Congregation, at Abetifi.

He said homosexuality was spreading fast in the society and urged the country’s leaders and Ministers to put up effective measures to check it and transform the destiny of the country.

Meanwhile, Think Progress LGBT reports that Commissioner on Human Rights and Administrative Justice Lauretta Lamptey says she was misquoted by media in recent reports and she does not favor the decriminalization of homosexuality:

I did not advocate that homosexuality should be decriminalized. My view is that, it currently isn’t clear whether it is even criminal and that if the view of the society is that it should be then, there should be a debate about that. [...] In my view I don’t think as a society we are ready to give homosexuals, lesbians the whole category of people any of those kind of rights.

Comments

1. While continuing to fight America's bigots, let's be grateful for this great country and our great luck in being born here.

Posted by: Jack | Aug 10, 2011 9:46:47 AM

2. This whole 'pray away the gay' thing-doesn't it imply that one religion is better than another? What if you're not a christian? Can 'the gay' still be prayed away?

Seems like Ghana is in witch hunt mode. Grasping at straws for a solution to that which there is no understanding of, nor a desire to understand. Religious intolerance at it's finest! And everyone is afraid.

Posted by: kodiak | Aug 10, 2011 9:49:17 AM

3. gay cure centers = concentration camps

Posted by: gaylib | Aug 10, 2011 10:05:34 AM

4. Oh, who cares. Not people on Towleroad and the majority of us queers in the west couldn't care any less either. Those people are too poor, too black and too far away.

Posted by: Marc C | Aug 10, 2011 10:11:22 AM

5. I think the allowance of "Gay Cure Centers" allows the idea that gay=wrong gain a major toehold. The next step would be criminalizing it the next step would be eradicating it. I believe NOW is the time churches in the USA like the Episcopalians, the Presbyterians (I mean the Presbyterian Church of USA and Canada not Ghana) and the Lutherans that for the most part are pretty gay friendly need to start spending their money and time eradicating this kind of scourge.

Posted by: Jeff | Aug 10, 2011 10:14:28 AM

6. @ Marc C: I care.

Posted by: mike128 | Aug 10, 2011 10:19:30 AM

7. Marc C I care too. Lets be reminded about the Holocaust

First they came for the communists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
    and there was no one left to speak out for me

Posted by: Jeff | Aug 10, 2011 10:25:39 AM

8. A lot of African countries seem to have let itself be caught in the Evangelical trap and to be unaware of how much they expose themelves to ridicule (as teabaggers do). Africa seems to opt for a future without future.

Posted by: Roman Bolliger | Aug 10, 2011 2:01:38 PM

9. Hmmm... maybe they shouldn't have mutilated all of their women's clitorises, because that's clearly turned much of their poulation gay... did I mention the genital mutilation?

F O Ghana