Allen West | Florida | Fort Lauderdale | News

Rally Planned in South Florida in Response to Controversy Surrounding Congressman Allen West

A newly-formed South Florida LGBT group is planning a rally on Monday in response to recent controversy surrounding the Wilton Manors Business Association's recent invitation to anti-gay Congressman Allen West to speak at one of its meetings.

West Dean Trantalis, an attorney and member of WMBA, hosted the first meeting of the Coalition for Equality and Fairness and stated that their goal is to create an organization designed to protect citizenship diversity and stand up to public officials who are bullying the LGBT community.

The new group announced that it will release its mission statement Thursday, after planning an agenda and venue for its first event -- a rally entitled “Allen West: In His Own Words.” The forum, open to the public, will be held 6 p.m. Monday, August 8, in a location to be announced.

The WMBA withdrew its invitation to West following outrage and calls for a boycott of the organization from the LGBT Democratic Caucus.

West wrote a letter (PDF) condemning the cancelation:

“This boycott would have harmed hard-working small business owners simply because members of the Wilton Manors Business Association wanted to be better informed on business related issue taking place in Washington D.C.,” the statement reads. “In these very tough economic times, I find it intolerable that the Florida Gay, Lesbian, Transgender Democratic Caucus would call upon a boycott to hurt small business owners trying to earn a living and only wanting to better be informed about business related issues from their Member of Congress. Clearly, we have learned who really are the intolerable individuals in South Florida.”

The South Florida Gay News has a timeline of the West controversy, which includes statements he made as recently as July regarding the military's 'DADT' policy:

In Plant City at a town hall meeting West comments on Don’t Ask Don’t Tell. He states: “When you take the military and you tell it they must conform to the individual's behavior, then it's just a matter of time until you break down the military.” He also rejects any comparison between racial integration and the integration of gays in the military. “Let me explain something to you. I can't change my color. People can change their behavior, but I can't change my color.”

Comments

1. THIS IS HOW GAY POWER WORKS, PEOPLE. TAKE NAMES AND KICK ASS!!!!!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 3, 2011 2:41:08 PM

2. “Let me explain something to you. I can't change my color. People can change their behavior, but I can't change my color.”

So he can change is heterosexual behavior to homosexual behavior? Because that's what he's implying. That would make him bisexual. Good to know.

Yet another moron equating sexual orientation with behavior. I am SO sick of this ignorant crap.

Posted by: David in Houston | Aug 3, 2011 2:52:19 PM

3. "Note to readers: several of you have written in complaining about Allen West ads that are appearing on our pages. If you see them, it is likely that they are appearing contextually based on content which we have written exposing his anti-gay positions, and can be difficult to block."

I am dismayed that you have to explain this to anyone.

Posted by: Nat | Aug 3, 2011 2:53:05 PM

4. It's a GOOD thing when West's ads appear here.

Every ad that pops up on Towleroad is paid for by West or his agency. That means West is spending money putting ads in front of a market that will never buy what he is selling.

Posted by: mike | Aug 3, 2011 3:01:40 PM

5. Don't complain about the ads from anti-gay politicians and organizations, CLICK ON THEM!

Every time you click on one of those ads it costs the organization that placed it. It's a quick and easy way to take money out of the pockets of bigots.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Aug 3, 2011 3:06:55 PM

6. That's some tall hair. Does he remind me of Kid, or Play? I can never remember which one had the hairdon't.

The bigots are running scared. The worm has turned, and they know it. It's a beautiful thing to watch.

Posted by: The Milkman | Aug 3, 2011 3:20:35 PM

7. YES YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR COLOR. It's called PAINT. Gay Americans can not change their orientation, but they can change their behavior JUST LIKE Str8 people can (but don't have to change their sexual behavior because it's str8 peoples' behavior and it's okay with them.)

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Aug 3, 2011 4:17:56 PM

8. My AdBlock is awesome - I don't see any ads on Towleroad!

Posted by: Craig | Aug 3, 2011 4:24:26 PM

9. I love the unintended reverse meaning that the typo in his statement results in.

"Clearly, we have learned who really are the intolerable individuals in South Florida."

Posted by: MrRoboto | Aug 3, 2011 4:38:07 PM

10. West may be scum but he is the local congressman. Local business owners do deserve a forum to meet with him and learn about his pathetic decisions in Congress to destroy the U.S. economy.

West and his fellow Tea-Partiers have brought shame to the U.S. and have helped to crush the economic recovery. Given reports that the disgusting debt deal will caused the stock market to crater, will West and his conservative buddies be willing to take "personal responsibility" for their psychotic ideology and actions?

Posted by: Reason's Arrow | Aug 3, 2011 5:55:38 PM

11. Mr. West, you are no lady, and as such I afford you no due respect.

Bwah, ha, ha...

This bigot takes himself far too seriously. Organize a Gay Merchants Assoc & invite the clown in. You've got everything to gain, he has as much to lose.

Posted by: Pete n SFO | Aug 4, 2011 1:45:46 AM

12. Believe you will love it.

We have good reputation, fashion products,

come here quickly== http://www.jordanforworld.com

Opportunity knocks but once

Posted by: zhongeuk | Aug 4, 2011 2:45:37 AM

13. --Something unexpected surprise--

Hello. My friend

Dedi cated service, the new style, believing you will love it!!!

WE ACCEPT PYA PAL PAY MENT

YOU MUST NOT MISS IT!!!

thank you!!

Posted by: youtiaoas | Aug 4, 2011 5:05:54 AM

14. Inviting a mentally defective Congressman to discuss economic problems about which he knows nothing just legitimizes this moron. If the business leaders want to know what's going on in D.C. all they need to do is read Krugman, Ezra Klein or Robert Reich articles. Do they personally have to be spoon fed misinformation by an ignorant bigot?

What has happened to Wilton Manors? I remember when it was almost an exclusively gay neighborhood, an area once in decline and renewed by the gay community. Are the gay businessmen now supporting GOProud and its creepy Republican Quisling? Or has the gay community been displaced by breeders who want to horn in on a good thing?

Good work protesting this defective Congressmen. I hope he will soon be sent packing by the voters. But if the WMBA is any indication, this creep will be around for awhile.

Also, real class spamming your business in the comment section. I wouldn't visit your site on a bet. Is the comments section monitored for spam?

Posted by: Bob R | Aug 4, 2011 7:49:52 AM

15. Let me explain something to you Mr. Freaking West. I can't change my sexual orientation. People can change their HOMOPHOBIC and BIGOT behavior, but I can't change my sexual orientation.

Posted by: FunMe | Aug 4, 2011 12:58:17 PM