2012 Election | Discrimination | News | Rick Santorum

Rick Santorum Defends Anti-Gay Views By Saying He Has Gay Friends: Video

SantorumGayFriends
Fox News host Megan Kelly yesterday told Rick Santorum yesterday that many of her gay friends think he hates them because of his tenaciously homophobic policies and rhetoric, like his oft-cited comparison of homosexuality with sex with animals.

And, as he did with CNN's Don Lemon, Santorum defended himself with a predictable remark, "I have gay friends," which is akin to a racist saying, "I have black friends," and said that while he "respects" the "decision" to be gay, he won't back down on his socially conservative politics.

"I have friends who are gay, I accept them as they are, but I disagree with them vehemently about what is in the best interest of society with respect to our marriage laws," Santorum insists.

He went on:

Again, I'm going to stand and be very vocal about [my anti-gay marriage views], but that doesn't mean that I dislike anybody or hate anybody because of their sexual orientation. I respect that decision, but you also have to respect me for feeling very differently for trying to take that orientation and then trying to project that agenda on to the American public that is consistent with that, that's where I'll draw the line...

Watch Santorum's lame explanation, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I'm with Sindy and Jones

He may have gay "friends" but he considers them inferior subhumans.

And he wants the law to reflect his judgment of them as inferior beings.

Simple as that.

Posted by: just_a_guy | Aug 20, 2011 11:36:01 AM

2. I can't even imagine what morally corrupt, self hating gay person would have annnnnyttttthinnnnnngggg to do with either of these two vile people? How low would you have to be to call either of these people 'friends'?

Posted by: Geoff M | Aug 20, 2011 11:46:57 AM

3. And yet he still yammering about gay being a choice. Dan Savage needs to be elevated to god like status.

Posted by: dard | Aug 20, 2011 11:49:14 AM

4. No, as I said, glbtq issues are NOT at all their driving force as far as politics come up, and the campaign in question barely mentioned them at all except for a single written line in a position statement about "respecting the sanctity of traditional families" and a single one word answer on a platform questionaire asking if the candidates support repeal of same-sex marriage laws, and he typed in "yes." He is nowhere near Santorum, who I do truly feel is repugnant.

My feeling on the matter is similar to the poster above saying we all have dumbasses we know and love but we don't want them to become president. In this case, these "dumbasses" are really friends of mine, and we have been at utter loggerheads on politics in general since we met, but I do understand how she came to see the world the way she did, and I also know there's more to life than politics. That does not mean these issues aren't vital, that we don't need to fight as smart and as well as we can for full equality. We do. But I don't think making blanket statements intended to dehumanize our opponents as monsters is doing either side any good in advancing their cause -- it only plays in to the other side's feelings of marginalization and paranoia that is exploited by the Santorums of the world to keep and maintain power.

I just see people like my friends as people whose anxieties are being manipulated by a cynical political machine, not as "haters" and "bigots," cuz they're honestly not. And I think recognizing that there are people on the other side who sign onto these views as a result of this kind of manipulation but who are not truly hateful people is just intellectual honesty. And we'd probably have an easier time winning hearts and minds to our side if we could find a way to tone down the anxiety across the board.

Posted by: Shelly | Aug 20, 2011 11:54:34 AM

5. Uh no. As much as you'd like to pretend otherwise they're haters and bigots. LIVE WITH IT!!!!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 20, 2011 11:57:08 AM

6. p.s. how braindead was SHELLY's comment? yeeeeesh!

lady, were you lobotomized???

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 20, 2011 12:02:44 PM

7. Also, to make it clear, I am NOT saying the opposition's sense of persecution is at all equivalent to what we endure. All I am saying is that branding an entire group of people as "hateful bigots" is a poor way to persuade people whose anxieties are already being leveraged, especially when those doing the leverage are using the fact we paint with the same broad brush they do against us. "See?! THEY're the real bigots!" seems it would be much more productive to leave name calling out of it and try and understand the dynamics at work so we can figure out a better strategy to counter it.

Posted by: Shelly | Aug 20, 2011 12:03:09 PM

8. p.s. Megan Kelly's "gay friends" are GOP-styled gays - they're friends over their mutual dislike and distrust of black people.

for real.

sure, megan has gay friends. and they're as racist as she is.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 20, 2011 12:05:11 PM

9. So, Shelly, you're saying that while people like Santorum equate gay people to pedophiles and beastialists, we, the targets of his hate speech and policies, should remain perfectly noble and dispassionate, and then he would learn to treat us with "respect"? That is not going to happen.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Aug 20, 2011 12:23:00 PM

10. @Shelly: Your "friend" is not only blind because she is without sight but also vision. With friends like them, who needs enemies? Wow, your apologistic rationale is pathetic.

Posted by: too boot | Aug 20, 2011 12:28:41 PM

11. Can towleroad please get over posting shite from Fox?

Can towleroad please stop posting articles about a former senator who will not win a presidential nomination?

Can towleroad please start posting real political news?

Maybe from other sources like http://www.politifact.com/ which won a pulitizer prize.

You want marriage equality? I am sure there are very good organisations who are working towards this. Why don't you let people know about these & what they can do.

Posted by: Michael Singh | Aug 20, 2011 12:30:08 PM

12. Santorum doesn't have any gay friends, and neither does Megan Kelly. You cannot "vehemently disagree" with who a person is, call their biological orientation a "decision" and then also call them a friend. The decision is NOT whether to be gay or straight, but rather to live an honest life or die a slow, torturous death.

Posted by: Boone | Aug 20, 2011 12:30:20 PM

13. @Shelly um, don't use the term "Uncle Toms" when describing gay men who love the straight men who hate them. I'd prefer you use the term "Auntie Ems" or something like that. Calling someone an "Uncle Tom" just doesn't quite fit here. Oh, and one more thing. Your friends may have "suffered" under communism but that does NOT excuse their inability to grasp that this is a human rights issue. They need therapy for their so-called "conservative" views. They obviously are mimicking their former oppressors by being able to oppress someone else. Sorry, hon. They need help. Or at least Jesus.

Posted by: jamal49 | Aug 20, 2011 12:37:29 PM

14. Santorum also has friends that are unicorns, centaurs, and mermaids. However, just like Santorum's gay friends, they are very hard to actually meet in person.

Posted by: homer | Aug 20, 2011 12:39:46 PM

15. I'll second that. Megan Kelly has gay friends?!?????

Posted by: GMB | Aug 20, 2011 12:41:11 PM

16. Shelly, I see where you're coming from, especially in your second post. That said, for my own good, I decided to slowly dissolve a twenty-year friendship last year. If for no other reason than I no longer wanted her to be able to say "I have a gay friend" when discussing her socially conservative, Catholic, Republican views with her crowd. That was my intellectual honesty. I could easily have still managed another two decades of friendship; in fact, I sort of miss her. But in this particular lifetime, I will not subjugate a portion, even a tiny fraction, of my whole self. Friendships make us stronger, deeper, more encompassing and compassionate beings; not the other way around, and not only unilaterally, Shelly.

Posted by: shane | Aug 20, 2011 12:43:35 PM

17. "that choice".. remark cracks me up. He thinks we "choose" our sexuality? When did he make the choice to be heterosexual? Once again, another Republican showing their disgusting hate towards our community.. and Fox News lets them do it completely unchallenged as usual.

Posted by: shle896 | Aug 20, 2011 12:45:13 PM

18. Many gay men have conservative parents, so it's not really a question of whether gay men should be allowed to have conservative friends. The issue here is how to expose RS as coming from a place of unsettled antipathy rather than sound public policy. You need to attack the relevance of his attachment to the bible rather than his personal quirks. Judge Walker's Prop 8 decision is a good place to start. Also, the term "friend" among politicians means "someone who answers my phone calls".

Posted by: anon | Aug 20, 2011 1:06:03 PM

19. Thank you for understanding, Shane. I was not anticipating the degree of aggression my post would generate, but I guess I should have. And I do understand where you are coming from, but neither has ever used me as their token "gay friend" that I'm at all aware of, and they're both atheists so that whole aspect doesn't even come into it. In fact, though we've clashed over politics in general, glbtq issues as such never came up in debate before this whole election so though I should have guessed if St. Rush said it they're buying it, their wholehearted support of me all through coming out and various relationships and whatnot it really didn't cross my mind before I saw the campaign website. I didn't at all suspect they bought into all that, but apparently they do. And believe me, it HAS been a struggle since learning that, but at the end of the day, they're like family to me, and I do see them as whole, complex people who are MORE than political opposition, and life means more to me than ideology.

To the poster who suggests they need professional help, I couldn't agree with you more! But they adamantly refuse to see that their anxiety has led to an irrational extremist political ideology, and frankly, on the scale of how psychological issues are impacting their lives, being dittoheads really is the least of it. And as pretty much anybody whose dealt with the frustration of knowing someone you love needs psychiatric help but refuses to get it will tell you, you can only do your best to get them to see that, but in the end, it's up to them.

Posted by: Shelly | Aug 20, 2011 1:08:56 PM

20. the only gay friends this asshat has is chris barron and his fellow self hating goproud members. they would accept friendship from any rpuk that would have them. and santorum needs a friend so they are made for each other. hasn't he run out of money yet so he can become an alsoran on the election.

Posted by: walter | Aug 20, 2011 1:22:59 PM

21. Santorum is trying to suggest that he simply opposes same-sex marriage, the anti-gay position that resonates closest with voters. But that's a lie. He's publicly advocated for sodomy laws -- laws that were going out of vogue 35 years ago. If he had his way, gay men would be imprisoned for having consensual sex in the privacy of their own bedrooms.

Posted by: Kevin_BGFH | Aug 20, 2011 1:47:47 PM

22. Where are these friends? I'd love to hear what they have to say about him

Posted by: Derek | Aug 20, 2011 1:53:01 PM

23. i'm just wondering. after i've finished up with that "special guy," do i use a napkin or a paper towel to wipe up the santorum?

Posted by: alguien | Aug 20, 2011 2:08:54 PM

24. @Shelly--life is too short. I don't need any "friends" who see me as 3/4s of a person. There are so many wonderful people out there who will love and respect you for who you are. Why waste a minute on these bigots? Every hour you spend with them could be better spent meeting new friends or enjoying the ones you have who don't see you as inferior.
    He wants to "repeal" marriage equality laws? I assume, then, that he would be all for dissolving my perfectly legal marriage of 3 years. Do you not see how utterly cruel and inhumane that is?? We are often judged by the company we keep. If you have been friends with these willingly ignorant individuals for any length of time and they still haven't evolved on this subject from knowing you....they are NOT your friends. Perhaps they will see the light if you stop seeing them and tell them why. Give them the opportunity to see what a dull life they will have without you in it. Let them ponder if holding on to such hateful ideals is worth losing a dear friend like you. You owe it to them and yourself. It is only when certain people begin to see how they are being left behind that they finally get it. We are heading that way in this country, at last. The haters are painting themselves in a corner and are getting lonelier by the minute.

Posted by: StillmarriedinCA | Aug 20, 2011 3:06:22 PM

25. Any friend of mine hew spewed crap like that would instantly become an enemy. If he does have gay friends they must have no self-respect whatsoever.

Posted by: Bravo | Aug 20, 2011 3:08:29 PM