2012 Election | Mitt Romney | News

Mitt Romney Says 'Corporations are People', Gets Heckled at Iowa State Fair: VIDEO

Romney

Mitt Romney was heckled after defending corporate rights on the campaign trail at the Iowa State Fair today, TPM reports:

Responding to a question from an audience member as to why Social Security should be included in deficit talks when it doesn't add to the deficit, Romney drifted into a defense of corporate rights.

"Corporations are people, my friend," he said. "Of course they are."

After receiving jeers from the audience over the quote, he elaborated: "Everything corporations earn goes to people. Where do you think it goes? Whose pockets? People's pockets. Human beings, my friend."

Romney also raised his voice at another heckler (at 2:00 into the second clip):

"If you don’t like my answer, you can go vote for someone else."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Romney raises his voice at another heckler:

Comments

1. God save America.

Posted by: Michael in Toronto | Aug 11, 2011 1:51:08 PM

2. lol. that's a good sound bite now, my friend.

Posted by: Trey | Aug 11, 2011 1:54:39 PM

3. There's Romney's vaunted common touch in action.

Posted by: Really? | Aug 11, 2011 1:55:48 PM

4. Social Security doesn't add to the deficit? What? It went into deficit mode in 2010, so that deficit is made up through general fund revenues.

Posted by: joe | Aug 11, 2011 2:00:51 PM

5. No according to you and your cronies they are BETTER than people just admit it Mitt.

Posted by: Jeff | Aug 11, 2011 2:01:18 PM

6. Right into people's pockets, yes! That's exactly where the money's going right now, nevermind the $2 trillion that they're all sitting on instead of actually hiring people.

Posted by: Ben | Aug 11, 2011 2:03:56 PM

7. they are people with deep pocket to push their own agenda and their own self interests not that of the regular citizen. the politicians spend more time protecting corporate interests and deeply controlled.

Posted by: walter | Aug 11, 2011 2:06:37 PM

8. I'm fine with corporate personhood assuming that, just like us, corporations are limited to $2,200 in donations per candidate. Very simple.

And @Joe: Social Security has a multi-trillion dollar surplus to draw open. It has been *loaning* money to the general fund, which the general fund must now pay back. It's not drawing from the general fund; it's getting repaid.

Posted by: Dan E | Aug 11, 2011 2:06:45 PM

9. This isn't just a minor gaffe. It sums up the true attitude of
    Romney, who spent years at Bain and grew up in the corporate world. I think that this will virtually kill his campaign. "Corporations are people," is the kind of line that will resonate with people. Gaffes take on a life of their own when they reconfirm a pre-existing belief.

If Rick Perry had any doubts about entering the race, they just became much smaller. Bye bye, Mitt.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Aug 11, 2011 2:06:51 PM

10. Another open mouth, insert foot comment from Romney. Keep blowing your lead.

Posted by: Max | Aug 11, 2011 2:07:24 PM

11. The whole "my friend" bit makes my skin crawl.

Posted by: Vladd | Aug 11, 2011 2:11:45 PM

12. soylent green is people too mitt

Posted by: jim morrissey | Aug 11, 2011 2:19:07 PM

13. Mittens' magic underwear is a little two tight.

Posted by: Ninong | Aug 11, 2011 2:19:41 PM

14. I'd say this just cost him the election, but he was never going to win it in the first place. There simply isn't enough Republican election fraud possible to bridge the gap that would be between Romney and Obama. And I write that as no fan of Obama.

Posted by: ohplease | Aug 11, 2011 2:25:12 PM

15. Romney likes people, he likes Corporations. In fact, all his best friends are Corporations. He likes to spend a lot of time with them, cuddling and bromancing. Mitt is my favorite Corporation, I like his intelligence! And his corporate identity is quite Mormon! I'm extraordinarily impressed!

Posted by: Roman Bolliger | Aug 11, 2011 2:33:24 PM

16. They all believe that. He just was stupid enough to say it out loud.

It's a sad fact that to win an election, you have to have corporate $$$.

Posted by: nodnarb | Aug 11, 2011 2:37:58 PM

17. Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid account for half of the federal budget?

Social Security is required by law to be self-finan­cing. So, the government DOES NOT spend one penny of their budget for it. Medicare and Medicaid account for less than a quarter of the budget (23%).

Answer: Romney is Lying.

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Aug 11, 2011 2:39:44 PM

18. I like your comment, OH PLEASE (except for the last sentence, of course). Unfortunately, it won't be Romney. It will be that ghastly bastard from Texas. And I fear he could my President a difficult time. I hope and PRAY I'm wrong, but I'm verweee verweee scared....right now.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 11, 2011 2:42:59 PM

19. JOE is wrong.

The Social Security program has, every year, from it's inception until fiscal year 2010 brought in a surplus. It's using that surplus, NOT the federal budget, to make up it's shortfall.

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Aug 11, 2011 2:43:14 PM

20. corporations are people only works if corporations are also held accountable like people

they aren't that is the whole point of a corporation, to protect a business from being held accountable

Posted by: say what | Aug 11, 2011 2:47:44 PM

21. Joe

SS is solvent for the next 25 years

any and all general funds going to SS is to PAY BACK social security the 2.5 teillion that bush and repub congress took to (remember Al Gore's lock box idea that never happened) pay for bush tax cuts and 2 wars

Posted by: say what | Aug 11, 2011 2:50:13 PM

22. If the Democrats were competent, they'd run Romney's "Corporations are people, my friend" and "If you don’t like my answer, you can go vote for someone else" quotes in every single ad they make from here until the election. And these quotes alone would help sink Romney like a stone.

In other words, you'll never, ever see these quotes in a Democratic ad.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Aug 11, 2011 2:53:36 PM

23. I am a card-carrying Democrat and think Mitt is an absolute tool, but, I find him incredibly hot. He's the kind of dude I'd Google Image "shirtless" 10 years ago.

Posted by: fred | Aug 11, 2011 3:01:28 PM

24. This is not surprising in the least. All the Republican presidential candidates believe this, Romney is just dumb enough to say it. And he looks mighty obnoxious doing so.

What's shocking to me is that the predominantly Republican crowd caught on to it and heckled him from then on. They get a small bit of respect for it.

I know a certain governor of a large state would be salivating about this at the moment. And lets see if the spineless Democrats make proper use of this clip.

Posted by: NY2.0 | Aug 11, 2011 3:08:58 PM

25. I can't remember who said it, but: if a corporation was a human being, it would be a complete sociopath. It is only interested in its own survival, nothing else. Anything in its way must be destroyed (including other people). If anything, it's closer to a parasite or a virus (or, if you're thinking a higher life form, a fire ant, or a Great White shark).

Posted by: Dback | Aug 11, 2011 3:50:07 PM