Gay Marriage | Michael Bloomberg | New York | News | Republican Party | Tim Gill

Bloomberg Chairs Gay Fundraiser for GOP Senators Who Helped Pass Marriage Equality in NY

Nygop

Tickets for the reception run $250 to $16,800.

Check out the invite obtained by Towleroad, AFTER THE JUMP...

The National Organization for Marriage (NOM) this week launched a "You're Fired!" billboard campaign against McDonald and has promised to unseat all the pro-equality lawmakers. The NY Conservative Party has made similar threats.

10-13-11 NY Senate Invite and Reply Forms

Comments

1. Any info on how to donate if we cannot afford the ticket price? We news to support these guys so when the win reelection, it is a sign to politicians everywhere that doing the right think isn't terminal.

Posted by: Gay NY Cop | Sep 7, 2011 11:29:41 AM

2. this will help match the money from nom, the catholic and mormon church. these 4 men have to be shown they won't be thrown to the wolves or at least be devoured by maggie gallagher.

Posted by: walter | Sep 7, 2011 12:24:42 PM

3. I have a rather standard comment I post on these threats. NOM promised to defeat the condidates that voted for marriage equality in DC. They utterly failed. In fact, an endorsement from NOM seems to hurt a candidates standing.

They know how to stir up fear and win rerendums and initiates against gay people. But they don't know how to get their candidates elected.

Posted by: Charlie | Sep 7, 2011 12:35:46 PM

4. @Gay NY Cop:

Below are the links to make secure donations to these 4 senators.

I know that many Towleroad readers, including me, are Democrats and are not used to donating to a Republican. But in this one instance, we really need to step up and protect them. NOM is putting real money behind their effort to defeat these guys.

NOM understands that if these brave senators are defeated, it will terrify Republican state legislators throughout the country, destroying any chance of their taking a risk to support us. Since there are only a very few states where we can pass marriage equality without at least some GOP support, NOM's success in punishing these senators could effectively block marriage equality in all but a couple of states.

I am listing the senators in order of how vulnerable they are to a NOM-backed challenge. So if you can't give to all 4, please consider giving to the more vulnerable:

(Click on "contribute")

Posted by: Tim Gorham | Sep 7, 2011 1:56:25 PM

5. Profiles in courage right there. I hope they rake in big bucks.

Posted by: Karl | Sep 7, 2011 2:18:30 PM

6. Mayor Michael Bloomberg, philanthropist and political strategist Tim Gill, and hedge fund manager and marriage equality supporter Paul Singer are chairing a fundraiser on October 13 for Republican New York Senators James Alesi, Mark Grisanti, Roy McDonald, and Stephen Saland, whose votes were instrumental in passing same-sex marriage, at the Union League Club in New York City.

Posted by: jerseys shop | Oct 6, 2011 5:36:27 AM

7. Hey. Brian Ellner is my cousin and he didn't invite me!! No matter. I sent money to all of them the day week after it passed (and after I recovered from Pride in NYC). I don't know if I could vote for a Republican but they deserved that much.

Posted by: Jonathan | Oct 13, 2011 12:44:29 PM

8. P.S. I only think Grisanti is in any real danger of losing.

Posted by: Jonathan | Oct 13, 2011 12:46:32 PM