Fashion Men | GQ | Mark Sanchez | News | Sports

Jets QB Mark Sanchez Mocked by Packers QB for GQ Fashion Spread

Sanchez

Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers this week mocked a photo spread of Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez which appears in this month's GQ, appearing to suggest that it wasn't manly enough.

Said Rodgers of the photo, which shows Sanchez in Tommy Hilfiger sunglasses, white Gucci jeans, and a tight black Dolce & Gabbana tank top with a Gucci coat slung over his shoulder:

"Look at this, that's embarrassing. Page 94 of this GQ thing here, that's terrible."

Sanchez responded to the remarks:

"I think he was, obviously, making a joke out of it, and that's fine, giving me a good ribbing like the guys on our team. That's totally understandable, but I'm just happy that it ended up working out for a good cause and we got to partner with two great companies and one great charity, with Hugo Boss and Tuesday's Children. It worked out for the better and I can take a little razzing for the way it ended up. I know he's just joking around, so that's totally fine."

Duane Roggendorf sounds off in This is FYF:

In all seriousness, my primary irritation with all of this is the fact that it's even a story. Why? Because in being published, this just perpetuates the idea that Sanchez has anything whatsoever to be ashamed of in wearing clothes that fit, which further perpetuates a permeating element of sports culture in general - and, ultimately, the concept of manhood itself - which is the idea that our masculinity is constantly called into question and must be proved EVERY SECOND OF EVERY DAY by completing asinine "tests" like not flinching when someone punches you, denying you've ever enjoyed the sound of music that isn't Pantera or Santana(??) (or enjoyed The Sound of Music, period!) and a thousand other patently ridiculous "proofs" that have nothing to do with being truly manly and everything to do with being a lemming who'll follow anyone off a cliff for fear of being ridiculed.

As far as we're concerned, Sanchez should keep doing these types of photo spreads as long as he wants.

What's next, Tom Brady in a commercial for Uggs?

Well, yes, AFTER THE JUMP...

Brady

Comments

1. Roggendorf's comments are completely on point.

Posted by: Aaron A. | Sep 9, 2011 10:53:05 AM

2. I remember Joe Namath in his pantyhose ads -- sexy! Didn't stop Joe from winning his Super Bowl ring. Maybe that is a good luck charm for the Jets, again.

Posted by: Mike in Asheville | Sep 9, 2011 10:55:31 AM

3. A professional football acts like a neanderthal. Shocker. That photo of Mark is hot.

Posted by: daws | Sep 9, 2011 10:59:37 AM

4. LOL, Sanchez is going through the usual fate of an USC QB (the glamour boy) and the Cal-Berkeley guy is jealous.

Film at 11.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Sep 9, 2011 11:01:47 AM

5. Rodgers is just jealous because GQ would never pick his ugly mug for a photo shoot and he knows it!

Posted by: Matt | Sep 9, 2011 11:05:40 AM

6. very cool post! thanks alot!

Posted by: thesis samples | Sep 9, 2011 11:18:12 AM

7. Mark Sanchez looks like Freddie Mercury in this shot. Very hot.

Posted by: Brian | Sep 9, 2011 11:22:00 AM

8. they are idiots...could be making a TON more money than even just sport..Euro footballers and the likes have got wise to that fact and regularly pop up in Armani, dolce and gabanna ads. Big big big dollars for wearing clothes in ads and editorials. If there macho credibility means they have to turn down big money then more the fool them. Even Rugby players know they can strip off for a calendar and make a stash of cash (but i think they give that to charity). Why are your yankee footballers so uptight ?? Perhaps they haven't got enough to fill out there armani undies or tight fitting dolce trousers ?

Posted by: paul | Sep 9, 2011 11:31:25 AM

9. @Paul

it comes and goes with our "yankee"
    ballplayers in the sports world.

In the 60's and 70's alone...Jim Brown, Joe Namath, and Jim Palmer always did clothing ads...it died off a little bit in the 1980's (even though Michael Jordan did got in those Hanes)...

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Sep 9, 2011 11:43:20 AM

10. The only reason Aaron Rodgers said "Ick!" was because he felt a tingle in his wee-wee when he looked at Sanchez's photo. Mary, get out of the closet!

Posted by: Tweety | Sep 9, 2011 11:55:33 AM

11. As a huge Packers fan and someone that follows all the players, I don't think Rodgers was trying to imply that Sanchez wasn't being masculine enough. Of course you can read it that way, but I think if you know anything about Rodgers you'll understand that he's a very private person and avoids the spotlight. He even said directly after commenting on the photos: "It’s just not really my style. I like my anonymity, I like my privacy. I like to be the quarterback during the week and, in the offseason, be able to do what I want to do and not be in the public eye.”

I think he thought it was embarrasing because it's too Hollywood for Rodgers. He's a very laid-back no-nonsense kind of player. If you watch him in interviews he's very soft spoken and quiet. I just think it's truly "not his style" to be flashy with a fur coat thrown over his shoulder or splashing around in a bath tub. I don't think he was trying to imply that there's anything wrong with Sanchez's masculinity.

And considering he grew up just outside of Berkeley and attended Cal for college--I'm only speculating here--Rodgers probably isn't ignorant. But go ahead and fabricate the nfl-player-as-homophobe storyline if it makes you feel better.

Posted by: anthony | Sep 9, 2011 12:11:00 PM

12. nice spread....I mean photos in GQ.

Posted by: Chris | Sep 9, 2011 12:27:06 PM

13. @Anthony

Yeah, for the longest time Tom Brady was the same way as far as advertisements and endorsements were concerned; Brady's only really started doing them in the last three or four years.

It's actually nice to see pro football QB's that don't have the last name "Manning" doing things like this (because I am so sick of the Mannings, especially Peyton...Eli I don't mind so much but Peyton just wrecks my nerves.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Sep 9, 2011 12:33:18 PM

14. Rodgers can go to hell with his jealous remarks.

Posted by: joe | Sep 9, 2011 12:37:49 PM

15. Sanchez just made me throw away my white Armani jeans, because they are never ever gonna look like that on me :-(

Posted by: Jerry | Sep 9, 2011 12:57:07 PM

16. I fail to see how his remarks can be construed as a dig at Sanchez's masculinity any more than anything else? His remarks are pretty vague - "that's terrible." Um okay. The clothes? The fact he did a GQ spread? That awful shearling lined coat? White pants after Labor Day? Who knows what he meant?

And frankly, at the presser after last night's Packers game, it's pretty evidence Aaron Rodgers has zero fashion taste. That shirt he wore was heinous.

Posted by: Sam | Sep 9, 2011 1:27:04 PM

17. 1] Multiple wars, with more to come.

2] Financial Armageddon on the horizon

3] A future that looks bleak for many. A present that is bleak for many.

4] A society and government that's perniciously dysfunctional and out of touch with reality.

People are hot and bothered over whether one multi-millionare pro athlete 'insulted' another. Pardon me if I save my empathy for average folks in hard times, or the rambling, homeless schizophrenic man I saw on the street 1 hr ago.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 9, 2011 1:29:37 PM

18. thx for the call-out Andy! upon re-reading: holy run-on sentence! glad anyone was able to follow...

@anthony - point taken. that is certainly a valid and likely interpretation that was missed due to the way it was reported in the Daily News (shocking, I know.).

i think my point is still merited re: the antagonistic culture of sports...particularly professional, however (albeit not exemplified by this instance or by Aaron Rodgers, per se.). it's not so much that sports is homophobic as that it's highly misogynistic (i.e. - promoting masculinity and the social construct of manhood by actively opposing and demonizing all expressions of femininity and/or sympathy towards, or identification with, the social construct of womanhood) in such a highly exaggerated way that sportswriters know they'll get a rise out of readers for calling a player out for wearing tight jeans.

think about this: if you constantly have to PROVE how much a man you are, how far will you eventually go - or be "forced" to go - in a world where everyone else is proving the same?

though i really don't know a lot about him, the little i've heard and read about tyler the creator make me think he might be a good starting point for exploring this question, except via the ever-escalating, but not dissimilar, stakes in the "who's the baddest/illest/sickest/whatever-est rapper" contest.

for an example of how out-of-hand it can get once you start a battle of "top this!" see also: Madonna vs. Gaga.

Posted by: Duane | Sep 9, 2011 1:36:55 PM

19. ...and thanks, RATBASTARD, for keeping things in perspective.

to support, as well as rag on sports further: the fact that they are paid what they are...? galling.

Posted by: Duane | Sep 9, 2011 1:41:23 PM

20. @Duane, I totally agree about the misogynistic/homophobic culture of sports and entertainment. At times it's tough to be a fan of mens pro sports and also be gay because there it can be an unforgiving and narrowminded culture. The same is true with much of music, television and movies. And this isn't directed at you personally, but just to folks in general: I think there's plenty of homophobia and misogyny to go around without us having to smear people based on scant (or in this case, no) evidence that they intended their comments to be that way. I think we do ourselves a disservice by presuming that everyone hates us until they prove otherwise. There are some great athletes and celebrities that support us, and I'm not going to assume Rodgers isn't one of them until I hear something more conclusive than a 5-second razz of Mark Sanchez on a radio show.

Posted by: anthony | Sep 9, 2011 2:00:12 PM

21. "...or the rambling, homeless schizophrenic man I saw on the street 1 hr ago"

Not much sunlight on the east coast, RATBASTARD, and you're in Boston. How did you manage to see in that store window?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 9, 2011 2:22:33 PM

22. Maybe he just didn't like the shiny tight tank wool-lined coat combo. I think it's kind of ridiculous.

Posted by: kirkyo | Sep 9, 2011 2:45:48 PM

23. Stop pretending, Duane. You belong to that group of gay men who are masculinely deficient and would like to destroy masculinity as a consequence.....which is what lead to your over-reaction/misinterpretation (Notice that Sanchez, himself, was not offended by Aaron Rogers' comments).

You and most other effeminate gay men don't even understand the concept of masculinity to begin with....ergo your pathetic attempts to align yourselves with women by referring to sports culture as "misogynistic".

Same ole, same ole--most of you grew up in a culture that told you that homosexuality and masculinity were incompatible, so instead of fighting against that notion, you internalized it, turned yourselves into quasi-women (ergo the "misogyny" reference--I mean what the hell do women have to do with this discussion, at all?), idolize and live vicariously through women (ergo the "iconization" of female--and only female--entertainers).....and alienate yourselves from other men in the process.

Truth is, you call tests of masculinity "asinine" because you cannot pass them, not because they are and not for any other reason, and that applies to all effeminate gay men.

Which is very sad, indeed, because your inability to do so is all of your own making.

And by the way, Aaron Rogers is way hotter than Mark Sanchez will ever dream of being.

Posted by: Rick | Sep 9, 2011 3:16:01 PM

24. ten bucks says you can't post a link to a webpage or profile of your own, RICK.

i was more man at 16 than you'll ever be.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Sep 9, 2011 3:25:21 PM

25. ".....and alienate yourselves from other men in the process."

No, Rick, that's what public parks are for. Didn't you read the other story on the blog today about park cruising? Plenty of penises and masculine booties to go around...no alienation. No indeed.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 9, 2011 3:38:32 PM