Facebook | Firefighters | Nashville | News

BigGayDeal.com

Nashville Paramedic Suspended for Telling 'Perverted' Gay EMTs to 'Crawl Back into the Closet' on Facebook

Kevin Kennedy, a 20-year-veteran of the Nashville Fire Department, has been suspended for making anti-gay remarks on Facebook, The Tennesseean reports:

Kennedy Fire Chief Steve Halford ordered the two-month suspension after a departmental hearing last week for paramedic Kevin Kennedy. Kennedy was accused of posting on his own Facebook page and the Nashville Fire Department Emergency Medical Services’ page that homosexuality was a perversion. He also said two gay EMS workers should “crawl back into the closet,” said Deputy Chief Kim Lawson, spokeswoman for the department.

Kennedy must "show proof of his participation in an anger management program and diversity training" before coming back on the job, according to Deputy Chief Kim Lawson.

Said Lawson: “We have not faced this issue before, but as social media expands, it is a concern. In no way did we want people to think the department was associated with anti-gay comments.”

Comments

1. The only problem I have with stories/comments such as these is that the prevailing mindset seems to be if you don't support gay rights you are a bigot. I don't verbally attack or think less of anyone who does support it but, on the other hand, if you're a person who does not, you're branded a bigot, anti-gay, evil, and the list goes on - even though you're not a person who ostracizes or persecutes homosexuals. But it seems, and this is just an objective observation, that the more gay people try to make it mainstream, open, etc., the more it pushes the straight people who usually keep quiet and keep their opinions to themselves to speak up. Maybe it was mostly "in the closet" because it "kept the peace." But to each his own. It should just be fair and even - whether your support or not support, if you're not denying rights and physically attacking people, everyone should have a right to their opinion, pro or con, without being automatically labeled.

Posted by: Carrie | Sep 26, 2011 5:13:59 PM

2. I know I should have used better judgement in this day and age. I would love to tell my side of it in detail but it's something I would rather just let go of. However, two years after the fact these people are still posting this garbage. So, for the record, I will say this much. I was home, Off duty, and had some to drink. I turned on my computer and seen two male coworkers kissing as a profile pic and made a knee jerk comment. It bled over to a shared page and the guys took it to the gay media and made a crusade out of it.

Posted by: KEVIN KENNEDY | Feb 27, 2013 9:44:16 PM

3. i HAVE CONSULTED AN ATTORNEY AND IF THIS POST REMAINS IT IS MY INTENT TO SEEK DAMAGES

Posted by: KEVIN KENNEDY | Feb 27, 2013 9:45:43 PM

4. I know I should have used better judgement in this day and age. I would love to tell my side of it in detail but it's something I would rather just let go of. However, two years after the fact these people are still posting this garbage. So, for the record, I will say this much. I was home, Off duty, and had some to drink. I turned on my computer and seen two male coworkers kissing as a profile pic and made a knee jerk comment. It bled over to a shared page and the guys took it to the gay media and made a crusade out of it.

Posted by: KEVIN KENNEDY | Feb 27, 2013 9:49:57 PM

5. iVE ALWAYS DONE THE RIGHT THING IRRESPECTIVE OF PEOPLES LIFESTILES. i WOULDNT HAVE LASTED 32 YEARS AS A MEDIC, OR THE LAST 20 WORKING WITH NASHVILLE IF I DIDNT. THANKS FOR UNRAVALING MY LIFE!

Posted by: KEVIN KENNEDY | Feb 27, 2013 9:57:23 PM

6. Why is it that the most racist people I know are gay,the most closed minded people I know are gay,and the most intolerant people I know are gay. Why don't you put your little bitchass's in someone elses shoes for a while. We get that your spoiled little brats.How about we go about slandering your good(?) names,huh, cupcake.If you want to take it up the ass that's your business,when you make it public your just disgusting faggots.

Posted by: rick | Feb 28, 2013 12:12:29 AM

7. Just to be clear. The pic was not of two coworkers. It was of one and his partner in a completely appropriate picture that, had it been a straight couple, wouldn't have even been noticed. Additionally, neither of the employees he referenced in his facebook rant went to the press. In fact, we both declined EVERY request for comment and the person who took it to the media is someone Mr. Kennedy thought was a friend. When the initial post was noticed, I contacted the page admin to have the post removed BEFORE Mr. Kennedy got into trouble. Myself and the other employee took no part in "unraveling" anything. Despite what he may think, I hold no ill will towards Mr. Kennedy. I support his right to free speech and wish him well.

Posted by: John | Oct 11, 2013 1:40:59 PM