Maggie Gallagher Replaced as Board Chair of NOM

Crary

Associated Press reporter David Crary tweets that NOM's Maggie Gallagher has been replaced as the organization's chair by Chapman University Law professor John Eastman.

Eastman UPDATE: NOM announces.

Brian Brown, President of NOM, stated, "John Eastman is one of America's foremost constitutional scholars and has distinguished himself as a fierce advocate for families and religious liberty. As a legal scholar, he has participated in dozens of cases before our nation's highest courts, including the United States Supreme Court. When important constitutional principles are on the line, people frequently turn to John Eastman to advocate a conservative, pro-family position. He will be a great asset to NOM."

John Eastman stated, "Marriage has quite correctly been described as a bedrock of civilization. Protecting the institution of marriage is a critically important issue, and I'm honored to join such distinguished company on the Board of such a phenomenally effective organization as the National Organization for Marriage."

Equality Matters has a load of info about Eastman's "long, disturbing history of anti-gay animus"

Recently…
Anti-Gay NOM Activist Maggie Gallagher Attends Broadway Benefit for Team Challenging Prop 8 [tr]

Comments

1. Erich says

I love seeing Maggie lose her job.

In a kind of random side note, her replacement graduated from University of Chicago Law School in 95, and Obama was a senior lecturer at the same school from 92 to 04. I wonder if he’s a former student.

2. anon says

3. Gay American says

John Eastman stated, “Marriage has quite correctly been described as a bedrock of civilization. Protecting the institution of marriage is a critically important issue, and I’m honored to join such distinguished company on the Board of such a phenomenally effective organization as the National Organization for Marriage….and On a side note – they’re paying me 6 Figures..so I’ll say anything and sell my soul”.

….whats with these SUPPOSED Constitutional scholars who don’t know anything about it?

4. paul b. says

It seems coincidental to me that Maggie would show up at “8” and then quickly be replaced at NOM. Next we’ll hear that she’s hanging out with Louis and showing up at marriage equality rallies.
    Let’s give her a minute to breathe and find out the circumstances…maybe she’s had a
    “Divine” revelation!

5. Dastius Krazitauc says

How can someone who seeks to bar people from marriage, to dissolve existing marriages, attacks people’s sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, fathers, mothers, and so on, be considered “pro family”?

6. justme says

So they replaced a crazy lowlife with no credentials with a crazy lowlife with some credentials? And why are all these people ugly as sin — or does that really explain everything?

The Mormon cultists can do whatever they want, it won’t change the fact that they still have no case, just mindless, stupid, hate-filled crazy bigotry.

7. esther blodgett says

If in fact “marriage is the bedrock of civilization”, why are pre-nuptual agreements permitted? These legally binding contracts anticipate the failure of a particular marriage. I thought this marriage stuff was like, you know, forever.

8. says

“This suggests they are going to try to overturn marriage in NY and elsewhere in the court system rather than do the referendum/voter stuff like before. Also, lawyers=lobbyists, so they are probably looking to get grant money, etc.”

It also suggest desperation. They’ve lost the propaganda war, so they’re going to try to sneak things through “legally.” It’s not going to work either.

9. Oliver says

I’m sure David Boies and Ted Olson are licking their chops. So much more civilized for the two men to win against two men (this Eastman guy and that grunt, Brian Brown).

10. gayalltheway says

I’m sorry but I think the main requirement to be part of NOM is to be butt-ugly. Seriously? Can’t they find a bigot who is at least pleasant-looking and doesn’t look like a chinless troll.
    WTF.

Well, I don’t think Maggie lost her job per se.. she’s probably just taking a more “passive” role in fighting for inequality. Haters probably decided that an unwed, single mom is not really the poster-material to send the message of defending traditional marriage or family.

11. says

A group of my friends at Chapman Law wrote him a strongly worded letter, that went to all faculty, because he used Chapman students to help him write an amicus brief supporting the position on the prop 8 proponents, as an exercise, that he ended up using.

12. alex says

I am a Chapman Law grad and I’m horrified and offended that John has joined NOM. He was our previous Dean and am thrilled he no longer serves in that capacity, though I plan on calling for his immediate resignation from the faculty.

13. Craig says

I suggest some pro-equality group either change their name or be created that uses the word “family” in the title. The haters are co-opting that word like they own it. We are members of families and we create our own families and they want to deny that reality. Problem is “NOM” describes exactly what we are – FOR marriage, our own marriages. I also suggest we leave off the word “equality.” I suggest “Family Rights Council.” Or maybe we just try to confuse folks and call it “Families For Marriage.”

14. Abel says

I’m going to miss her. She was such an easy target. Farewell, Ms. Gallagher. Her replacement looks creepier than Brian. But as the Prop 8 case looks SCOTUS bound (maybe) NOM probably feels the need for some legal expertise on its board.

15. Mary says

Is there actually a picture of Maggie in her stocking feet with the feet up on the balcony rail during the Prop 8 trial? It seems hard to believe she’d do this. Not accusing anyone of lying, but this seems overly casual for someone who is in the public eye and would know that her every move is being scrutinized. And I’m having a hard time believing that she blew her nose into the playbill during the performance of “8.” If she had food with her then obviously she must have carried a napkin or sheet of paper towel she could have used.

I saw Maggie on TV with Daniel O’Donnell after marriage equality passed in NY. She kept referring to him as “Mr. O’Connor.” For a minute I wondered whether or not she was doing this to be spiteful, as if to say indirectly “you’re not important enough for me to remember your real name” But when corrected she replied meekly “I’m sorry, sir.” She seemed sincere.

16. Mary says

And future historians will surely ask themselves which was the bigger achievement – passing marriage equality in New York, or getting Maggie Gallagher to refer to a gay liberal man as “sir”?!

17. Randy says

I’m seeing a visual resemblance between Maggie and the new guy. Does NOM hire based on face?

Anyway, NOM must be getting desperate if they’re bringing out the big guns.

They know that videotape is coming out, and their professor is going to have to spin the words of professors Miller, Nathanson, and Young, and their other expert Blankenhorn.

18. Tom R says

Can someone PLEASE explain to me: Why does a hot-shot constitutional lawyer like this frog face consent to take a position with a two-bit organization which does nothing but bash the gays? Seems like he could be making a lot bigger bundle out there doing some real work. Doesn’t make sense to me.
    Perhaps Brian Brown will be next out the door and Kermit can run the whole show.
    So long Maggie! You were such a vicious slapjaw. NOM finally saw that she was not only offensive but ineffective as well.

19. Grego says

logic would suggest that they should be railing against divorce as the biggest challenge to marriage. I bet there are more divorces in the USA then there are GLBT people.