News | Rihanna

Rihanna Debuts New Track 'We Found Love': LISTEN

Rihanna

Rihanna's first single off her new album, "We Found Love", debuted this morning after being "unlocked" on Facebook, was produced by Scottish singer, DJ, and producer Calvin Harris, and has his electronic dance music stamp all over it.

Listen, AFTER THE JUMP...

Rihanna f/ Calvin Harris - We Found Love (Radio Rip) by headphonesupiii

Comments

1. Why on earth is Towleroad promoting Rihanna? She's not particularly gay-friendly, has failed to say anything postive about gay rights to the media, and refuses to speak out against gay rights abuses in her home country of Barbados.

Moreover, Rihanna's image is manufactured and designed to titillate sleazy straight guys of the type who hate gay guys. Oh, and did I mention that she can't sing?

Posted by: jason | Sep 22, 2011 10:13:30 AM

2. Yet more computer-generated sounds combined with a vocal that is looped and AutoTuned. Yaaawwwwwnnnn.

Posted by: bruce | Sep 22, 2011 10:15:41 AM

3. More of this? Yawn x 2.

Posted by: evanb | Sep 22, 2011 10:18:35 AM

4. I swear I have heard this sound before. It sounds like version 1,0024 from the school of no-talent synthesizer-fixated DJ/producers with too much time on their hands. The lyrics are dreadful and repetitive.

Posted by: bruce | Sep 22, 2011 10:20:55 AM

5. Mediocre. Sounds like any washed out dance song from 10 years ago. Even her vocals aren't that interesting after they've been through the autotuner.

Posted by: Bart | Sep 22, 2011 10:21:42 AM

6. Bart, exactly my thoughts. This type of sound has been around for at least 15 years. It just seems that Calvin Harris has re-gurgitated the exact same sound and set it to Rihanna's distorted, AutoTuned vocal.

I really was expecting much better.

Posted by: bruce | Sep 22, 2011 10:24:49 AM

7. Thank you to every comment above. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who thinks this over-hyped, untalented woman is dreadful. Towleroad does realize that gay people listen to music other than repetitive auto-tuned pop, right? That being said, I do look forward to a lot of this site's music roundups, can't wait to hear what they think of the new Tori Amos and Kate Bush albums.

Posted by: Christian | Sep 22, 2011 10:26:43 AM

8. I actually don't mind her, but did anyone else notice the homage to Madonna in the photo? Looks very early 80's/Burning Up/Borderline to me. Looks like Gaga isn't the only co-opter of her style. Wannabe's. :)

Posted by: graphicjack | Sep 22, 2011 10:48:36 AM

9. I don't see why people are complaining. It's pop music, and for the most part this is what today's pop music is. I'm not a fan of pop, but it is what it is. If you want music reviews then go to Pitchfork.

I do however, like that electronic music has seeped its way into nearly every genre now.

Posted by: TyN | Sep 22, 2011 10:55:11 AM

10. sucks

Posted by: Chris | Sep 22, 2011 11:10:41 AM

11. She's the only one doing '90s dance the way we liked it, but fresh. if you don't like it, move on.

Posted by: hmhm | Sep 22, 2011 11:45:01 AM

12. If Lady Gaga sang this, how many of you would be praising it as genius? I'm guessing quite a few

It's a dance/pop song, not gonna change the world. Three listens from now, most of you will be singing the chorus to yourself... and of course dancing to it in the clubs.

Posted by: BEAHBEAH | Sep 22, 2011 11:48:37 AM

13. I like Rihanna in general, but this is a single I'll pass on.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Sep 22, 2011 1:22:46 PM

14. Well that's as generic as it gets...

Posted by: RDUB | Sep 22, 2011 1:31:52 PM

15. Huge hit. Mark my words. Very early 90's club. Can't you just see Victor Calderone remixing this? I'm hearing echos of ultra nate free.

Someone do a mash up!

I didn't know we were supposed to be boycotting rihanna.

Truth be told, I'm not even really a fan. I don't own her music and I sort of think she exploits violence against women. Her videos seem portray her as a virago who seems to tempt men to beat her. Creepy. And I've heard her interviews. Not a bright girl.

That said, i do think this sounds like a huge hit and will be big with gays in the clubs.

Posted by: dms | Sep 22, 2011 3:00:17 PM