Comments

1. Bakeley says

I hate the HRC. We won marriage equality in New York state DESPITE what the HRC did. It wrote off several of the Republican House members who turned out to vote for the bill after all. Didn’t even talk to them! The HRC, it’s clear, is just a fundraising body. I will never help them or a give them a dime because they failed us when we needed them most.

2. Dan says

I don’t think many gay folks think much of the HRC. It’s just for politically ambitious gay Dems, it accomplishes nothing and sets back our cause. All the big policy wins lately have been thanks to others, not the HRC. Ugh.

3. Jim says

Let’s ask whether they support a constitutional amendment overturning Lawrence v. Texas and re-criminalizing consensual “sodomy” between adults of the same sex. Santorum, of course, is already on record. But I bet they’d all agree.

4. says

When I (an openly gay republican) spoke to Herman Cain about it personally he said he was for merit based decisions on hiring. He also said he’d have a gay cabinet member, if you recall that story, so my guess is that at least one person there would say yes.

5. Dennis says

@TED Maybe you should look into the Herman Cain’s record. He is on the record as saying homosexuality is a sin. (video: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20070225-503544.html) He thinks Obama should be impeached for not defending DOMA. Furthermore, he covered up the fact that he had a high level gay staffer because it “might hurt him.” Really, you think he would appoint a gay cabinet member if he can’t even admit he has one on his staff.

6. Dennis says

7. says

Joe S did a good job here. Using the word ‘merit’ at the end puts the best argument for ENDA in the stress position. Very elegant.
    Other than that, HRC has wasted a ton of gay cash on galas and cocktail parties. And they’re still at it with the dinner coming up for President Obama.
    On the other hand, obsessed with looks of brains, mindlessly writing checks to similar orgs, and unable to divert our money into serious PR efforts, we deserve this kind of ‘leadersip’.

8. Dirk says

Sheesh.
    Can’t we just pay him a few extra $$$100K to leave,now?
    I will never give another penny, not one cent to the HRC because of this man.
    When we lose the senate and the presidency to go with the house next year and being gay is once again illegal, it will be largely his fault that Obama did nothing when he could have to anchor our rights.

9. george says

Candidates are likely to “clarify” the question by stating that ENDA is not about nondiscrimination but about special rights for gays and lesbians, or some such nonsense. Maybe they’ll even pull out the victim card and talk about discrimination against businesses that don’t want to treat gays equally. The Fox moderator will treat this as an adequate answer and move on. That’s if this question is aired at all.

10. Danny says

I was disgusted with HRC long before this jerk. I’ve never forgotten how they endorsed Al D’Amato for senator from New York. Everybody in New York knew he was a homophobe, a social conservative, a crook and an ass. But the “pros” as HRC didn’t bother to look into all that. They just used whatever out-of-touch logarithm they use for endorsements. I had just sent them a check too. When I saw this endorsement, I wrote and telephoned demanding my check back. They never sent it–but six weeks later they cashed it. HRC is just a bunch of inside-the beltway low-lifes who happen to be gay. F**k them.