BigGayDeal.com

News: Roy Lichtenstein, Steel Magnolias, God, Venus, Google+

RoadFor $4,000, you can be you for Halloween.

RoadBank of America to reimburse gay employees for tax inequalities.

Roy-lichtenstein-christies-auctionRoadAuction piece set to break record for Roy Lichtenstein work.

RoadIs Christina Aguilera partying so hard she's afraid she's going to die during the night?

RoadPrince Harry proves chivalry is not dead.

RoadKings of Leon's Caleb Followill returns to the stage, not wasted this time.

RoadLifetime remaking Steel Magnolias.

RoadOutServe hosting first-ever gays in the military summit in Las Vegas this weekend: "OutServe is expecting about 200 LGBT and straight military personnel and their loved ones, veterans, and allies to participate in the various workshops and panel discussions slated for the historic event. Such topics will include marriage and spousal benefits; transgender service; military chaplaincy; and serving in leadership positions while openly gay. Military officials from allied nations that allow openly gay service will also be in attendance to discuss how THEY dealt with the issue."

GodRoadGod created Adam and Steve.

RoadAFA hate group leader Bryan Fischer said Obama not "authentically black", now says President Herman Cain will end racism in America.

RoadRachel Maddow: New Tennessee law disenfranchises voter of 75 years.

RoadLawmakers call on NYC to implement LGBT history curriculum in classrooms: "ueens City Council Member Daniel Dromm, who is openly gay, introduced a resolution asking the Department of Education to implement such a curriculum and acquire the textbooks needed to teach it."

RoadScientists discover ozone layer on Venus: "The discovery will help astronomers better understand the composition of Venus' murky atmosphere, and by comparing it to the atmospheres of Earth and Mars, the findings could even help shape the search for life on other planets, the researchers said.

RoadRick Perry concludes debate performance with quote from Langston Hughes, poet and gay rights advocate: “Let America Be America Again."

RoadZachary Quinto prepping for Star Trek 2.

TatumRoadEverybody's stripping down on the set of Channing Tatum's new stripper fim, including Tatum.

RoadHot Dudes captured on Google Street View.

RoadGoogle engineer accidentally publishes rant bitching about Google+: "Google+ is a prime example of our complete failure to understand platforms from the very highest levels of executive leadership (hi Larry, Sergey, Eric, Vic, howdy howdy) down to the very lowest leaf workers (hey yo). We all don't get it. The Golden Rule of platforms is that you Eat Your Own Dogfood. The Google+ platform is a pathetic afterthought."

RoadMiuccia Prada and Elsa Schiaparelli to get show at the Met.

RoadAn interview with Survivor's "Papa Bear" Caruso: "I was New York City police detective. We have a diverse community; a diverse city. I pretty much know people's behavior. Everything that's caught on Survivor is pure luck. When we were rowing in I saw my tribe and I was like, ‘Oh my god it's Barbie dolls and Kens and a nerd,' and I turned around to the other side and was like, ‘Oh my god, I belong on that other team.' So that's where the "Papa Bear" came from, because I had to figure out a way to survive. Obviously I'm different from these people, so I knew immediately that there were problems and that's where I started working myself. So do I know human behaviour? Trust me my friend, I know human behaviour."

Comments

1. Isn't it still a cash equivalent advantage when your company pays (part) of your tax burden for you, which therefore you would have to pay taxes on again?

I'm german so our tax law is obviously different, but I still don't get it.

Posted by: Max | Oct 12, 2011 4:59:42 PM

2. The African American "Steel Magnolias" sounds like fun to me. I just hope they do a better job at authentic accents than the original.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Oct 12, 2011 5:08:54 PM

3. Steel Magnolias (movie) is a classic but it's based on a play from 1987, which has been performed countless times before and since. So if Lifetime wants to do their own adaptation with an all African-American cast, I say go for it.

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Oct 12, 2011 5:10:54 PM

4. It's pretty damn disgusting how GOP-controlled state legislatures are setting up to rig the next elections by making it easier to disenfranchise voters through these ID laws. No one wants voter fraud, but there's no proof of any widespread fraud that would warrant these changes. It's all about striking enough elderly, minority and college-age voters off the rolls before they can possibly vote Democratic next year. Hope the Justice Department pushes back on these slimy efforts.

Posted by: Albert | Oct 12, 2011 5:44:30 PM

5. Channing Tatum looks gross. Blech. What happened?

Posted by: John | Oct 12, 2011 6:05:44 PM

6. re: Tennessee. The house, senate and govenor are republican controlled. They have the population in TN by the throat and strangling our rights more and more each day. Also, they are redrawing the districts....to get even more control. We are under seige here and it doesn't look good!

Posted by: Billy | Oct 12, 2011 6:05:44 PM

7. For non-gay readers, please note that the gay "gross" is the rest of the world's "amazing".

Posted by: justme | Oct 12, 2011 6:36:30 PM

8. Steel Magnolias

Posted by: Stasy Miller | Oct 12, 2011 7:57:06 PM

9. @Max: sometimes they pay the benefit plus the tax burden. I don't know if that's the case here because I don't know enough about the tax burden of straight staff---if they have to pay taxes on the benefit, gays will too.

Posted by: Paul R | Oct 12, 2011 8:04:52 PM

10. Billy, so what are you doing about it? It's not new to us in Europe that your gay community has no leader, is splintered by selfish right wing gay men-even one of our gay MP's Crispin Blunt publicly thanked the left for the work they did in gay rights in the UK-and the left would rather sanctimoniously talk amongst themselves, then actually design a strategy with deliverables!

Urgh Channing is too big! I much prefer Matt B's and Alex P's bodies. Personally.

Posted by: Rowan | Oct 13, 2011 2:55:51 AM

11. I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work.

Posted by: sample thesis | Oct 13, 2011 6:08:57 AM

12. @Bill, employees would be taxed on the extra income, but companies reimbursing their employees this way can come pretty close to covering everything including the additional tax.

Posted by: Tom | Oct 13, 2011 9:20:07 AM

13. The sad story about the woman in Tennessee who won't be able to vote because of the new voter ID law strikes fear in my heart. Remember Karl Rove's initiative to create a permanent Republican majority in Congress? Now we have Republicans working to disenfranchise minorities who generally vote Democratic. Are the Republicans trying to destroy democracy in the U. S.?

Posted by: Jay | Oct 13, 2011 12:50:34 PM

14. I can't believe that you read the whole rant by the Google employee and what you got from it was that he was bitching about Google+. I don't think you read it at all and maybe just posted that one snippet, which was the only bit in the 1000's or words that mentions Google+.

A majority of the rant was about how bad it is to work for Amazon. And how Google does everything right, but could do stuff better. If you haven't bothered to read it all then I recommend you do, and next time before you post a quip and a link.

I get that you're probably busy and that it was a very long piece, but if you can't be bothered to read something for yourself, don't bother putting it in your "news" updates.

Posted by: tyroga | Oct 13, 2011 3:36:20 PM