Australia | Gay Adoption | Gay Marriage | Modern Family | The Family

Australian Lesbians Propose A Trade

BabyNiniAndrea and Alisa are a lesbian couple in New South Wales, Australia. They want a baby. They don't want to adopt, and they don't want to use the genetic material of some anonymous donor. Of the search for appropriate DNA, Elisa says: "It's not like looking through a catalogue for a pair of shoes. This is a potential child."

The couple sought an appropriate sperm donor through an ad in a gay publication. They met with a few putative papas, but none clicked.

Then, according to the Sydney Morning Herald:

... the pair conceived the idea of approaching heterosexual couples and arranging an egg-for-sperm swap.

''That way both families would be in a like-for-like situation,'' Elisa said. ''We realised they would only be looking for eggs if they have already tried to conceive.

''They understand the challenges of assisted reproductive technology. A sperm-for-egg swap is what I like to call an altruistic, reciprocal gift of life.''

They placed an advertisement in the popular parenting publication Sydney's Child two months ago and have already received a few responses from couples willing to discuss the arrangement.

''There are hundreds of women out there who need eggs and all these gay women who need sperm,'' Andrea said. ''This is an ideal arrangement if you can work something out with the right people. That said, it does have lots of complications as well.''

Of course it will! But those problems do not seem to include the opprobrium of the heterosexual community. Elisa and Andrea have reportedly received some inquiries from interested straight couples already, and so far, there's been not a peep of criticism on the interwebs. Though it is nice to think that, somewhere, the Hon. David Clarke is quietly seething.

Comments

1. Ugh, Brandon, shut up with your commenting. It's not insightful and it's certainly not funny.

Posted by: Lill | Oct 23, 2011 5:19:12 PM

2. opprobrium? Yikes! The ghost of William F'Buckley lives...

Now that I've googled the word and clicked on the speaker icon I know that the accent is on the second syllable. And (sigh) that I really like the voice of whoever pronounces words for Google.

Posted by: EnzoInOmaha | Oct 23, 2011 5:24:59 PM

3. They really couldn't find a single gay man they'd want to use as a donor? Their idea sounds like a fine option but it seems like they're being too picky. Sometimes even the person you fall in love with (and have a baby with, for straight people) isn't who you thought you'd end up with.

Posted by: Bart | Oct 23, 2011 6:12:43 PM

4. (Not sure I should go here but...) My husband and I turned to our sisters. His sister is divorced with two while my sister is unmarried gay. Both were willing to provide eggs but neither wanted to go through pregnancy. We turned to a surrogate who gave us our son (my sister's egg/my husband's sperm). We have not had the second child yet but will when Steven (son) is 6 (he is 4 now) and will use the same surrogate. Our son looks like both of us with my husband's coloring and my blue eyes. I'm blond, husband brunette. Odd thing? I knew we would have a boy and painted the nursery blue long before his sex was revealed.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Oct 23, 2011 7:39:26 PM

5. Dear OS2Guy:

What an awesome story! Thanks for sharing.

- BKT

Posted by: Brandon K. Thorp | Oct 23, 2011 7:45:03 PM

6. liked this story's tone. and also LOVED OS2's personal tale. there's hope :--).

Posted by: just_a_guy | Oct 23, 2011 10:47:12 PM

7. The foto of the baby is really cute. I hope to one day have kids. Current boyfriend is not interested. :-(. I'll keep looking. :-)

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Oct 24, 2011 12:29:30 AM

8. This is very tacky behavior on the part of these two women. It's women like this who harm our movement. Children are the not the product of an egg and sperm, they are the product of love between a man and woman. Reducing it to a recipe like making bread is disgusting and counter-productive to the cause of gay rights.

Posted by: jason | Oct 24, 2011 8:25:02 AM

9. Why can't same-sex couples just adopt? It's very noble.And if you get rejected because you are deemed unfit(not because you're gay),then it means that you're not right to be a parent.

Posted by: J | Oct 24, 2011 12:52:21 PM

10. Instead of a heterosexual couple (or man), why not ask a gay couple (or man), for his sperm? They could have the same egg for sperm exchange and help another gay family have a kid. Granted, they would also have to either be a surrogate or involve another surrogate in that case.

Posted by: DB | Oct 24, 2011 6:08:53 PM

11. OS2Guy, I know two male couples that followed your approach (using a sister-in-law's egg) to have their kids. My husband and I considered this but ultimately decided to adopt (using open adoption). Given the state of overpopulation on this planet, we were happy to do so and our son is amazing.

Posted by: DB | Oct 24, 2011 6:12:06 PM

12. Lesbian isn't only about fuckin women.. Its about the attraction, the connection, the feelings you develop for women, leskissing(dot)com

Posted by: akili | Oct 24, 2011 10:05:19 PM