Bradley Manning | News | Wikileaks

Bradley Manning Update

Manning
A reminder from Wikileaks. And some commentary from Reddit.

Comments

1. You know, I blame about 99% of everything that's wrong with our government on Republicans. It probably should be about 60% since my own party, the Democrats, have become such corporate shills of late. But, I dare ANYBODY to blame Bradley Manning's treatment on even one Republican. Obama owns this one. It is for SHAME.

Posted by: Justin N in OakLawn, Dallas, T X | Oct 6, 2011 12:58:53 PM

2. Obama can't be expected to micromanage every military prisoner. Is Bradley Manning being treated any differently than any other military official imprisoned for allegedly committing a crime? We have to remember he is not in the civilian justice system. It's a whole different set of rules and clearly it seems that Mr. Manning broke the law by stealing and leaking classified documents.

I hope he gets his day in court soon.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Oct 6, 2011 1:33:11 PM

3. The sad tale of Bradley Manning just gets worse. I wish they would let him write a book.

Posted by: Fenrox | Oct 6, 2011 1:34:39 PM

4. He broke the law. Period.

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Oct 6, 2011 1:45:34 PM

5. @FernLaPlante

If you break the law, period, you get a fair speedy trial, period. It's in the Constitution, period.

Posted by: tranquilo | Oct 6, 2011 1:51:31 PM

6. @TRANQUILO: Thank you. I think many people choose to ignore the Constitution when it suits their purposes. I think George Carlin stated it accurately when he said (I'm paraphrasing, the exact words are available on Youtube) "We have no rights. We have privileges." When rights can be ignored or taken away arbitrarily, they are not rights, they are privileges.

Obama and his military (he is C-in-C) have decided to take away Manning's privileges and can to do likewise to any American citizen at any time. Not only can Obama revoke your privileges at will, he can have you killed without charge or trial.

We won't even start to discuss the cruel and unusual treatment Manning has been subjected to. That's a whole other chapter. To me, Manning is a hero, not a villain or a traitor. I'm an honorably discharged Vietnam veteran and this is not the America I fought to preserve.

Posted by: Bob R | Oct 6, 2011 2:09:01 PM

7. The guy gave thousands of pages of classified documents to a foreign national. No sympathy.

Posted by: Aaron R | Oct 6, 2011 2:26:01 PM

8. FERNLAPLANTE and AARON R:
    One of you says "he broke the law - period". The other says "He gave pages to a foreign national." And you KNOW this because you have EVIDENCE, right? OH, no... you DON'T have EVIDENCE. Because that's what trials are for...
    So IF Mr. Manning broke the law, wouldn't it be in everyone's best interests - yours, mine, the military's, and even Mr. Obama's for this to be PROVEN as fact in a court of law?
    More importantly, there is supposed to be a tenet, even in MILITARY justice, that one is presumed innocent until proven guilty. No one has even brought charges against him, much less proven squat.
    Neither one of you has a clue what this man did or didn't do. And, neither do I. That's what the justice system - military or civilian - is for.

Posted by: Justin N in OakLawn, Dallas, T X | Oct 6, 2011 2:57:37 PM

9. Maybe they are stalling to go to trial because they would look stupid having been duped by a mere kid. Maybe the American public would become upset if they knew how lax security was/is?

Maybe security is no better today than it was 500 days ago?

Posted by: legal issues aside | Oct 6, 2011 3:18:57 PM

10. I believe that the defendant's attorney is the one asking for the delay to gather more information before trial. If you do a little research, you'll also learn that the defendant has admitted to giving restricted information to a third party.

Posted by: Jeff | Oct 6, 2011 4:56:37 PM

11. Don't try to confuse "Brian of TexASS" and his herd with little ole things like the Constitution. Why? See below.

"President Obama not only retained the controversial Bush policies, he expanded on them. Some insist that they are simply motivated by realism: A Republican would be worse. However, realism alone cannot explain the utter absence of a push for an alternative Democratic candidate or organized opposition to Obama's policies on civil liberties in Congress during his term. It looks more like a cult of personality. Obama's policies have become secondary to his persona." - Constitutional law expert and professor Jonathan Turley, "Obama a Disaster for Civil Liberties," LA Times, September 29, 2011, [and he doesn't even GET to the issue of untried, unconvicted Manning's treatment]:

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Oct 6, 2011 5:31:20 PM

12. Manning is a traitor who admitted what he had done. He well knew that the military justice system and regulations were not conducive to his peculiar brand of social activism (some might say terrorism) when he VOLUNTARILY enrolled.

Let him continue to enjoy the hospitality of the American taxpayers for a long time.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Oct 6, 2011 5:49:55 PM

13. @Fernlaplante:
    Applying your logic why are Bush,Chaney, Rumsfeld, Bybee, Woo, not in jail?

They are war criminals after all .

Doesn't "enhanced interrogation techniques " sound a bit bogus to you ?

No ? Well what about "extraordinary rendition" ?

Sounds like Alice in Wonderland words to me; words mean what i want them to mean.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Oct 6, 2011 5:52:34 PM

14. @Fernlaplante
    @AARON:

You both prove my point.

You sound like the Red Queen in "Alice";
    "Verdict first, evidence later".

My my, what great shining examples of Constitutional justice you both represent.

Free Bradly Manning now.....he is entitled to the presumption of innocence until the contrary is proved in a court of law.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Oct 6, 2011 5:57:39 PM

15. I like Jonathan Turley, but he like Glenn Greenwald are ideologues. They serve a purpose, but often make the good the enemy of the perfect.

It would be asinine for someone to try and mount a primary challenge to President Obama unless they were hoping to ensure that the white house falls back into republican hands. Just look to Jimmy Carter and Ted Kennedy. The primary only served to weaken Carter and we got 8 years of Reagan.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Oct 6, 2011 5:58:40 PM

16. GMAB, Chenery, Bush, Rumsfeld SHOULD be in jail. Bradley should get a fair and speedy trial, I agree. However, from my point of view Bradley is a traitor. Should be be treated fairly, yes. Should he get special treatment simply because he is gay and/or has (in his words) a "gender identity disorder"? No.

If Bradley Manning were straight and did the same thing then I bet most people here would be fine with the delays.

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Oct 6, 2011 6:01:43 PM

17. In addition to, of course, simply trying to change the subject, YOU have the gall to call ANYONE else an "ideologue," Brian? YOUR "ideology" is Obama idolatry...and your drool above claiming he could not POSSIBLY share any responsibility for this is just more all-purpose apologia, the kind of boiler plate excuses you've prematurely ejaculated everytime anyone remotely suggests ANYthing negative about him. I guess he really is the Messiah for who else could so be incapable of sin?

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Oct 6, 2011 6:35:17 PM

18. Bradley Manning is presumed innocent. He has not been convicted of anything. So your point is moot.

The issue here is a speedy trial and by all indications, he is as much to blame for how slow it is progressing as anyone.

That said, as it has been pointed out, military trials are not civilian trial and variations on constitutional protections have time and again been pronounced by the Supreme Court.

I don't necessarily think he should not have the same right to a speedy trial the rest of us would, but I'm also not convinced he is being treated any differently than any other military prisoner. I just think he's getting attention becuase of what he did.

Posted by: FancyPants | Oct 6, 2011 6:57:41 PM

19. What happened to a swift and speedy trial? and the way most people speak of Manning is terrible. Republicans in particular. This man has not been proven ANYTHING yet. There is a innocence until proven guilty precedent that needs to be followed and out government has the burden of proof.

Posted by: Redebbm | Oct 6, 2011 7:03:47 PM

20. He's a traitorous turd, gay or not. I hope he rots in his cell.

Posted by: Tom | Oct 7, 2011 12:10:16 AM

21. Thank god for the comments section. Clearly gay kids need to learn that gay people can be horrible, wrong, cruel bastards just as bad as the people that oppress them.

When I came out and made some gay friends I thought we were so cool. I was so proud to learn about gay history and meet gay role models (Dan Savage lived near me). It came as a shock that gay people could actually be racist, or stupid or terminally tricked.

In my college gay history class I learned the sad history of the first gay groups and the racism that divided them and I am thankful for that lesson.

This comment section is a quicker example!

Posted by: Fenrox | Oct 7, 2011 2:04:00 PM