Brandon Flowers | Mormon | News

Brandon Flowers Touts Membership in the Mormon Church: VIDEO

Flowers

Killers frontman Brandon Flowers, who has said that many of his heroes are gay men but whose positions on gay rights have never (at least not recently, to my knowledge) been clearly expressed, has recorded a video touting his membership in the Church of Latter Day Saints. If you're gay and a fan of Flowers' music, it's hard not to feel slighty disillusioned by it.

"My name is Brandon Flowers. I'm a father. I'm a husband. And I'm a Mormon."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I have known a few liberal Mormons who advocated against their church's participation in the Prop 8 campaign. They are proud of their religious heritage but annoyed with the church as its currently being run. Does that make them bad people? Does that make them "collaborators" as one poster put it?

Clearly the church is trying to combat being branded as a cult. Although they have some cult-like practices, they are moving away from those. Just my opinion...

Posted by: ColinATL | Oct 18, 2011 3:21:45 PM

2. @Jon, right on. I like the way you approach the world.

Posted by: Aaron | Oct 18, 2011 3:24:13 PM

3. Here is the thing, even if he isn't anti-gay, and it doesn't appear he is at least from those quotes above, the fact of the matter is, the Mormon church is. So even if he as an individual has gay-accepting principles, he willfully is a part of and defends a cult that has been at the forefront of the anti-gay (plus the sexism/racism that has long been apart of the Mormon sect) battle in this country in recent years. It reminds me of the guy from MTV, Chet Cannon, who speaks in approval of gay rights yet is a Mormon.

These individuals such Flowers, Cannon and others can't have it both ways. You can't support a group that goes out of their way to discriminate against entire segments of the human population, and still call yourself a supporter of said discriminated groups. You either defend homophobia or you don't, and supporting the Mormon church is defending their homophobia.

Posted by: Francis | Oct 18, 2011 3:26:06 PM

4. the mormons are trying to make themselves more mainstream....Thanks ,but No thanks- I want nothing to do with any religion

Posted by: Gay American | Oct 18, 2011 3:26:15 PM

5. SILUS GROK

I'm sure there were nazis who didn't want to actually kill the Jews. There is no middle ground. And go talk to your elder--if you are an out gay man, you can't be a mormon. They are not compatible at all. No run along and go find yourself several wives.

Posted by: dms | Oct 18, 2011 3:26:22 PM

6. I hate double standards, so I guess this means we will have to reject anyone who stands up and says they are Muslim. That religion is not simply trying to stop us from marrying--it wants to behead us! Think about it--shouldn't we be more vocal about opposing Islam than we are about Mormonism?

Posted by: George | Oct 18, 2011 3:27:14 PM

7. "Religion is institutionalized insanity. There is nothing normal about it."

When homophobes say such things about GLBTQ people, we call it hate speech.

It is useless to fight one prejudice, like homophobia, by exalting another, such as atheism.

Posted by: Cassandra | Oct 18, 2011 3:32:10 PM

8. Flowers sang w/ Gaga and the Pet Shop Boys in a tribute to the latter at the Brits...

Posted by: starquisha | Oct 18, 2011 3:32:22 PM

9. So he's mentally ill. Sad.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Oct 18, 2011 3:33:31 PM

10. George

There are even atheists who actively promote homophobia and support measures like Prop 8, using science as their excuse.

Worse yet are the atheists who insist that anti-gay theology is the real, true Christian theology, and that liberal/progressive Christians are wrong, just so they have something to vilify Christians about. They legitimize anti-gay theology and endanger GLBTQ people, in order to promote their prejudice against people of faith.

Posted by: Cassandra | Oct 18, 2011 3:36:22 PM

11. I'm not as anti-religion as some of you are on here. I know there are some sane, decent religious folks out there. The thing for me is, when I see these individuals who proclaim their Mormonism or whatever they believe, if they say they aren't anti-gay, then they need to prove that by speaking out against their churches' anti-gay activities. If these individuals aren't homophobes, show that by action. Brandon has a "liberal" view on gay rights, OK. So, the question needs to be asked "what do you feel about your churches' involvement in Prop 8." "What do you think about your churches' stance on homosexuality."

It's one thing to say you stand with our community, and it's a different thing entirely to actually do so. Actions speak louder than words, and so does money. That's pretty much what this comes down to.

Posted by: Francis | Oct 18, 2011 3:36:53 PM

12. Quite sad.

I always assumed he was one of those progressive, renegade mormons. I allowed myself to believe this because I couldn't possibly support an artist who blindly supports such a bigoted organization.

Shilling for this giant corporation of a church... doesn't pass the smell test. No more Killers music for me. I couldn't live with the feeling that a percentage of of money spent on their music would be going to a church that would attack me and my rights.

Posted by: John | Oct 18, 2011 3:40:26 PM

13. @DMS: Yeah. That's useful — invoke Nazis.

Being gay and being Mormon aren't incompatible. It's certainly not as easy as it should be — but I'm willing to cut my church some slack. It's an institution that is engineered to resist cultural shifts. And this, in my opinion, is central to its value in the world. 15 years ago, pretty much everyone shared the leadership's opinions on homosexuality … and today, most religions do, still. We're certainly not at the front of the pack when it comes to progressive positions — but nor are we the last.

Posted by: Silus Grok | Oct 18, 2011 3:47:45 PM

14. I think it's pretty ignorant to ridicule and cast him and his music a side just because he has a different faith than yours. Esp if you loved the Killers and their music.

I like to think people are evolved enough to separate the art from the artist. But these posts are proving me wrong.

Nothing and no one is all good, or all bad. You'll always be disappointed if you expect people to be 100% who you want them to be.

Posted by: yes | Oct 18, 2011 3:49:58 PM

15. @cassandra
    Atheists are people who don't believe in any god as there is no evidence of it.. fairly scientific and totally rational. Other than not believing in a god, there is no "atheist dogma" and many don't have anything else in common but that lack of belief. A prejudice? Do you own a dictionary? When you find a rational, scientific or even reasonable religion... please let the world know, we've been waiting for it. There are so many logical fallacies in your short statement. It's quite sad how little thinking there is in it.

Posted by: Vincent-louis Apruzzese | Oct 18, 2011 3:51:45 PM

16. @Yes,

It's not ignorant to refuse to support an organization that actively fights to strip rights from gay and lesbians.

I could understand if Flowers made a video professing his Mormonism and making it clear he disagrees with their policies toward gay and lesbians etc, but this blanket endorsement of the national church, hook, like a sinker, rubs most of us the wrong way.

I'm won't be organizing a boycott or campaigning to strip him of his right to practice his religion or anything. I just will make a simple statement by not purchasing his or his band's music.

Posted by: John | Oct 18, 2011 4:03:06 PM

17. Hook, line and sinker *

Posted by: John | Oct 18, 2011 4:03:52 PM

18. Give me a break. I assume what "we" want is for the Mormon church to accept gays, so here we have a Mormon who says he has heroes who are gay and yet he is being criticized for being a Mormon (who has heroes who are gay). Anyone who thinks that all Mormons are exactly alike has obviously never been a part of any type of organized religion, whether it's Mormon, Catholic, Protestant, Buddhist, or Hindu -- or even the local Ethical Society.

Posted by: Frank | Oct 18, 2011 4:05:12 PM

19. Who can listen to their music anyway. Their melody signs consist of one note being repeated over and over again from verse to chorus. It's probably the worst music I've ever heard. And whoever the lead singer is sounds like a carnival barker. YUCK. Doesn't surprise me that he's a mormon. The band has always sounded like a bunch of idiots.

Posted by: Jonathan | Oct 18, 2011 4:07:29 PM

20. Sorry, melody LINES.

Posted by: Jonathan | Oct 18, 2011 4:07:53 PM

21. Mormons make so sad. There's so many incredibly creative and talented Mormons out there, and yet they all allow the church -- and embrace the church -- as it lashes out against minorities, particularly gay people. It makes it very hard to support any Mormon, because you know their money may very well go to whatever cause of bigotry their "prophet" demands of them.

It's also sad that a religion that's legit faced a great deal of oppression would choose to take all that pent up fear and anger out on others, instead of deciding to combat all forms of oppression, everywhere.

I guess that's common with basically all forms of religion, though. There are still Christians out there who think they're being persecuted today because the Romans mistreated them (before becoming them) thousands of years ago.

Still, though, I couldn't buy an album from The Killers or Brandon Flowers -- as much as I love his music (and I really, really love his music) -- until he promised his money wasn't going to any causes of anti-gay bigotry (or any kind of bigotry) and wasn't going to his church in anyway that could be used to fund anti-gay causes. I'd also want to hear him say that he supports the civil rights of gay people, up to and including civil marriage.

Posted by: Ryan | Oct 18, 2011 4:11:36 PM

22. He forgot "moron".

Posted by: Chris | Oct 18, 2011 4:17:45 PM

23. Since when was Brandon Flowers actually gay-friendly? I saw nothing that suggested he was. The only people who seemed to think he was gay-friendly were those men and women who run the gay websites. Lady Gaga is also a fake. She censored the word "gay" while performing Born This Way.

Posted by: jason | Oct 18, 2011 4:17:51 PM

24. This is further proof of how dumb gay people are. You keep getting tricked into supporting people who don't really like you. Whether it's a politician who wants your vote or a pop music performer who wants your cash, you're easy pickings.

Posted by: jason | Oct 18, 2011 4:19:19 PM

25. "Atheism is just a prejudice. It is not scientific, it is not rational, it is not reasonable. And while homophobes vilify 10% of humanity, atheists vilify 90%.'

This is one of THE stupidest things I have EVER read.

There are no gods, you idiot. Religion is just a prejudice aimed at those who are too smart to be religious. Religion is not scientific -- it is the opposite of science, obviously -- it is not rational -- it's the opposite of rational, obviously -- and it is not reasonable -- as you amply prove in this one ASTONISHINGLY stupid statement.

Don't want to be "vilified"? Don't be an idiot. You can make that choice. If you're really so damn stupid that you can't tell fantasy from reality, at least have the sense to keep that inability to yourself.

Posted by: ohplease | Oct 18, 2011 4:24:33 PM