News | The Real World

'Real World' Cast Member Threatens to 'Beat the Gay' Out of His Lesbian Housemate: VIDEO

Rw

Real World: San Diego housemate Zach learned the phrase "beat the gay out of you" somewhere and decided to casually use it against his lesbian housemate in last night's episode, which didn't go down too well.

TV Squad explains:

This week, when Sam approached Zach to let him know that she and Ashley were waiting on him, a verbal argument over the ping-pong paddles escalated. Zach accused her of wanting him to go get ready so she could play, and she countered by saying she would throw the paddles over the edge of the porch.

"I will beat the gay out of you if you throw these paddles off the porch," he snapped. "Don't play that game with me."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Kickm in the fuckin Nutz

Posted by: Gay American | Oct 27, 2011 2:57:20 PM

2. I missed this episode. Now I'll definitely have to watch it tonight.

(Yes, I still watch Real World but only when somebody from the LGBT community is part of the cast.)

Posted by: Sam | Oct 27, 2011 3:06:48 PM

3. foreplay?

Posted by: udderly ridiculous | Oct 27, 2011 3:11:58 PM

4. This years' real world pretty much sucks because there are two LGBT cast members, but three OPENLY homophobic cast members. Nate, Ashley and this dude Zach. All three from small town areas, and carry small-mindedness with that. MTV shouldn't have allowed these individuals on the show, and the fact they're getting support messages on twitter about how they are being made to look bad for their "beliefs" shows MTV is not doing their job to send the message that anti-gay attitudes are unacceptable. The show should air some sort of PSA about gay suicide prevention or a message against anti-gay hate before any episode where there is homophobic content.

Seems like MTV took the most contentious of social issues in America today and decided to cast people who would turn it into a huge drama within the house.

Posted by: Francis | Oct 27, 2011 3:19:54 PM

5. What's the name of the show?
    Oh, that's right.. "Real World". I think MTV has done a good job of showing that this kind of bigotry stills exists and still exists in our youth. I have been surprised by the actions and comments on the show but it serves a purpose. Just like last night, I really got a sense of why pride is still important. You can't just sterilize everything on tv and expect things to go away.

Posted by: Trace | Oct 27, 2011 3:43:02 PM

6. MTV is trash. Has always been. I also believe it is homophobic.

Posted by: jason | Oct 27, 2011 3:50:47 PM

7. The sad part is if you watch the "aftershow", (which is obviously taped after the entire season was filmed) it shows that the homophobic cast members didn't grow or change at all. Which is the whole point of the show.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Oct 27, 2011 3:53:28 PM

8. It's unfortunate that Zach is so closed-minded. Frank is certainly not doing the LGBT community any favors, however, with his erratic, annoying behavior.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Oct 27, 2011 4:05:56 PM

9. this is where my prep-schooled WASP brain gets all confused ... is it a hardcore insult, or is it just meaningless trash-talk?

An African-American woman with whom I work recently joked to me that she was so angry with her teenage son (15yo and took one the family cars out for a joyride) that she threatened "to beat the black off of his ass."

I thought it was a hilarious way of putting it, and isn't Zach's comment in that same vein?

Posted by: mike | Oct 27, 2011 4:12:49 PM

10. I like Nate. I don't think he's homophobic at all. He acted childish and silly in that one episode - I think he realized how he was acting and is already starting to come around. I wasn't as much offended by Zach's "beat the gay" comment - I was more disturbed he would say he was gonna beat up a 105 lb girl.Real toughguy. PS - Shaving his pits, shaving his legs, tweezing his brows? can he really take himself seriously when he says "You act like a girl?" Sounds like someone is projecting.

Posted by: JJ | Oct 27, 2011 4:17:43 PM

11. also, Zach and Ashley are just rude. You don't have to share the same beliefs but show some respect/support. If a jewish roommate invited them to a gathering that was important to them for example - would they be so dismissive of the person? I hope not.

Posted by: JJ | Oct 27, 2011 4:21:03 PM

12. @Mike

It's not the same thing.

Your co-worker said that to her teenage SON (and your co-worker was nice...I can just imagine what my Mom would have said).

That's one of those things where you have to be a) inside the group or b) an honorary member of said group to get away with saying that.

Exhibit #1- Alec Baldwin and his problems with uptight queens.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Oct 27, 2011 5:19:31 PM

13. @Chitown Kev

OK, thanks, I can see that. (but for the record, I do consider Alec an honorary homo club member)

Posted by: mike | Oct 27, 2011 5:34:19 PM

14. Oh Zach - your face is so soft and pretty with all that stuff you put on it.
    Just bend over and take it like a man!

Posted by: Fred | Oct 27, 2011 6:40:38 PM

15. Perfect proof that despite the progress gays have made there is still a double standard. Would it be acceptable for someone to threaten to "beat the Christian out of you?" There would be howls of indignation against a remark like this.
    Chitown Kev raised a valid point about how comments against a group may be acceptable by a member of the group (although even here there is a limit.) All others should refrain from insults.

Posted by: Mary | Oct 27, 2011 8:42:34 PM

16. I haven't watching this car wreck of a show in almost ten years...until last week. I got to see Zach, I think, visit his first gay bar. And I have to say that I was dismayed with how 'today's youth' was so closed off and tight to even the IDEA of homosexuality. (All Zach could do was grimace when he saw anyone kissing and would essentially yell, 'I'm not gay!!' to EVERYONE who spoke to him.)

Since the days of Pedro Zamora it seems to me that not only the show, but it's participants have devolved. I was shaken to be shown that the other 'kids' of that long ago season in San Francisco seemed so well behaved and, at the very least, polite about the subject (with the exception of Pus, er, Puck; but what's to be said about that guy?)

I think Sean Penn put it best when he described this show as the 'Theater of The Unformed'. Nobody on this show struck me as ready for the real world.

Posted by: princely54 | Oct 27, 2011 9:33:57 PM

17. Reality TV? Remember people, no diving in the shallow end of the pool.

Posted by: DearComrade | Oct 27, 2011 10:16:06 PM

18. Zach is such an idiot. Period. End of story. How can someone be so closed off to homosexuality and so against it when it's so open now. People go throughout their whole lives being scared to come out because of people like Zach. It is truly very sad.

Posted by: Christinak3 | Oct 27, 2011 10:26:19 PM

19. This shocks me to the core that MTV a supposedly modern and forward minded entity would allow such a disgusting individuals even be considered to be in this show. clearly they are just looking for a ratings boost. also the comment ashley made when she was discussing with zach the pride volunteer work that sam and frank were doing for the 300 armed forces who were marching, she says that she didnt think (or know) there were 300 gay people in the army. that makes me sick. Also the fact that Zach has no mind of his own when it comes to his homophobic attitude, he had to ask his friend if it was ok for him to go to pride. i am sorry for the rant but i am so incensed by this blatant disregard for equality and basic human rights.

Posted by: elle | Oct 27, 2011 11:10:35 PM

20. In 1993 I got into the semifinals for the SF season of this crap show. I'm so glad that I dropped out and that Pedro helped raise awareness of real issues. Oh, and I'm glad I'm not in jail because I would have murdered Puck.

Posted by: Paul R | Oct 28, 2011 12:50:05 AM

21. I have become a big fan of this show. It is obvious that the producers clearly knew what they were doing when they cast this season of the show; the close-mindedness and ignorance of some of the cast members is sickening. But it's also important for everyone to see that this type of personality is quite prevalent in the United States. Outside of NYC, San Fran, LA, Miami, and other major cities where GLBT people are out and a normal part of the city's culture, this type of hatred towards homosexuality is pervasive. It might be a shock to some GLBT persons who live in areas where they are openly accepted and consequently very sheltered from these types of attitudes to see it; but it's an unfortunate reality of our great United States of America.

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | Oct 28, 2011 12:56:44 AM

22. He's from my hometown (Brighton, Mi), there is a gay bar/or was the last time I was home. The Gaston flag is a dead giveaway. He needs to get a good beat-down by a gay man; then we'll see how tough he is!

Posted by: Jeffrey Dunivant | Oct 28, 2011 6:38:13 AM

23. This brings to mind the classic scripted show, "All in the Family", way back in the 70s. The show featured a non-apologetic bigot, as well as both progressive and clueless characters. Most viewers "got it"... knew that Archie's rants were crazy, and thus it helped to move society forward. Some viewers identified with Archie, and those people didn't "get it". But, all in all, I think it opened minds.

Posted by: John | Oct 28, 2011 8:46:42 AM

24. Looks like the big butch stud can't stand the fact that the little lesbian girl doesn't want to take a ride on this joystick. The guy is decent enough looking that the probably doesn't get turned down often by the ladies - but when it finds one that isn't obviously not interested in his "charms" it's an affront to his manhood. And you'd think that after 20 years "Real World" (which isn't any more real than any other reality show) would have died a natural death.

Posted by: Tyron | Oct 28, 2011 10:51:01 AM

25. Im actually kind of shocked by many of your comments. I mean, do you ever leave your city condo? ever?

The rest of the world not living in a gay mecca is exactly like that this show portrayed. Maybe MTV should be applauded for snapping you out of your fabulis gay bubbles.

Posted by: Drew | Oct 28, 2011 12:34:55 PM