Catholic Church | Gay Marriage | New York | Timothy Dolan

Archbishop Timothy Dolan Was Deceived By Politicians On Gay Marriage

TimDolanKnights

On the ominously titled program World Over, Timothy Dolan, the Archbishop of New York, explains how he an his co-religionists were deceived by his state's politicians in the run-up to New York's gay marriage vote this summer. Apparently, his back-room conversations with the state's power player's left him convinced the gay marriage vote was a sham and was "not going to go anywhere." Watch, AFTER THE JUMP ...

Comments

1. like this defender of Kidfuckers Worldwide has anything to complain about.

oh, no! gays got the right to marry! and you know what else? Jews have the right to practice their religion, non-Catholics the right to practice theirs, and you fools can continue to be pious out of one corner of your mouth and hypocritical out of the other.

I'd love to know if Archibishop Dolan believes the more 6 million Jews exterminated in the Holocaust are in Heaven or Hell. just curious.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Nov 26, 2011 1:02:56 PM

2. I wont even go into a long comment here...lets just say,2 letters to the ol' arch-enemy..I mean Bishop....FU

Posted by: disgusted american | Nov 26, 2011 1:06:04 PM

3. Awww. Poor Timmy!

Unfortunately, Timmy, you can continue with your stupid religion so long as there are fools who will pay you. Nobody can do anything about that.

Posted by: Joel | Nov 26, 2011 1:19:44 PM

4. Was that back-room conversations, or back-door conversations?

Posted by: Bobby | Nov 26, 2011 1:20:53 PM

5. Obviously, the Catholic Church is deeply enmeshed in U.S. Politics. Why isn't it taxed?

Posted by: Kevin | Nov 26, 2011 1:23:09 PM

6. I'm so happy he's unhappy -- that's a sure sign the country is on the path to justice.

Posted by: K in VA | Nov 26, 2011 1:26:52 PM

7. Gee I thought back-room politics where unethical?

So he thought the politicians were going to play a nice little game of let's yank the homos' chain. And instead he got his own chain yanked.

Posted by: Leo | Nov 26, 2011 1:34:33 PM

8. I wish this higher-up of the global child rape cult would kill himself.

Posted by: Jason | Nov 26, 2011 1:36:42 PM

9. I wish that someone more intelligent & eloquent than I could ever hope to be could explain to people like this Archbishop that religious liberty or freedom is not the same thing as being allowed to discriminate against anyone you so choose; that religious liberty or freedom does not mean we create laws based on your religion; and that the "will of the people" is not always what is "right" in the eyes of either our Constitution or your bible.

A lot of people had a hard time with integration, inter-racial marriage, Black people being allowed to vote, women being allowed to vote, Black people being allowed to own property, women being allowed to own property, etc. If the civil liberties of the minority are left to the vote of the majority, then people in power would never allow the people without power to have any, let alone equal rights.

Am I happy that the government has to FORCE bigots into not discriminating against me, to tell bigots that it is ok for me to marry a woman I love, to keep bigots from firing me, evicting me, sexually harassing me, etc? Of course not. I wish we lived in the kind of world where everyone was born, raised, lived, and died equally; a world with no homelessness, no poverty, no hunger. But unfortunately, we dont live in the kind of world where money is meaningless and people live for their passions, not the almighty dollar.

So in this world, in this unfair, unequal, and sometimes uncaring world, I will take what I can get; and if that means the government has to step in and tell the majority that I am an American too, that I am not a second class citizen, and that I have the same rights as everyone else regardless of what this book or that "man of god" says, then sobeit.

Posted by: Parker | Nov 26, 2011 1:42:45 PM

10. the catholic church upset by backroom politics
    isn't that how they operate. the politicians id what the people wanted not the vatican. isn't swearing an oath to a foreign power illegal. tax the church end poverty. time for a major art auction an put the money to goo use other than feeding maggie or bill odonohue.

Posted by: walter | Nov 26, 2011 2:00:38 PM

11. I wish I could ex-communicate myself from this hateful group of bigots. The fact that they are using the money my parents worked hard for that they threw in the collection basket to discriminate against me-their son makes me ill... I wonder when people in our Justice Department will wake up-this is not a theocrisy ..they have no business getting involved in US politics..

Posted by: Jim Stone | Nov 26, 2011 2:09:02 PM

12. "Oh what a tangled web we weave
    When first we practice to deceive!"
    Thus saith Sir Walter Scott.

Little Timmy Dolan and his fellow bishops, from John Paul II and Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger (aka Benedict XVI) on down, have been weaving such a thick web of lies about those of us who are LGBT, that it difficult to take anything he or any of them say with anything but a shaker full of sea salt.

So he says he was deceived? Was he deceived by the state politicians in his back room conversations, or was he perchance too caught up in his own web of lies to see the writing on the wall?

How bizarre of the obedient servant of the last absolute dictator in Europe (the pope of Vatican City), a bishop who keeps reminding people that the Catholic Church is a democracy, to call for a vote by the people on the rights of fellow citizens in a state in which he lives only because his boss the pope sent him there!

Posted by: john patrick | Nov 26, 2011 2:12:06 PM

13. Oh yeah there is a real wisdom in putting civil rights up to a popular vote. No one in there right mind would agree that the civil rights act of 1965 would have passed a "popular vote" nor would have miscegenation laws been repealed by popular vote.

Posted by: QJ201 | Nov 26, 2011 2:16:13 PM

14. Correction to my post above - it should read "a bishop who keeps reminding people that the Catholic Church is NOT a democracy"

Posted by: john patrick | Nov 26, 2011 2:46:20 PM

15. this man is a pathetic liar who will burn in the false hell he believes in; he blasphemes the words of the christ he says he believes in but ignores the gospels of love and acceptance and listens to the pathetic saul of tarsus and the old testament;

Posted by: mike/ | Nov 26, 2011 3:16:31 PM

16. Damn, but Raymond Arroyo is a cutie!

Posted by: ludovico | Nov 26, 2011 3:17:42 PM

17. @KEVIN: I always wonder about that, too. Like, of you are a tax-exempt institution that owns half of Manhattan and most of upstate New York, then you should keep your @$$ out of politics. Marriage equality and civil equality are secular issues, Timmy, not religious, no matter how much you want to make it your business.

Posted by: jamal49 | Nov 26, 2011 3:42:41 PM

18. Every one should keep in mind that he is an adult who believes in angels, devils, and holy ghosts. That is an intellect on the level of the average five year old.

The pompous Catholic Church is splitting apart at the seams. Godspeed!

Posted by: jaime jones | Nov 26, 2011 3:44:49 PM

19. Priests need to stay the F*** out of politics.

Posted by: Jexer | Nov 26, 2011 3:46:45 PM

20. here they go again playing the victim...damn x-tianity is so good playing victim...oh i forgot they have been playing the victim role for 2,000 years

Posted by: Silas | Nov 26, 2011 4:23:48 PM

21. Since when do hateful religious clerics get a say in politics and legislation? Tax the bastards with impunity. What about the backroom deals they made to shuttle pedophile priests from parish to parish and covering it up and looking the other way. What a hypocrite. The roman cult is morally bankrupt and has no business judging others.

Posted by: Robert in NYC | Nov 26, 2011 4:23:53 PM

22. Hes pissed because the church as he knows are leaving to be come open and affirming churches
    http://gaychurch.org look your self how many churches open there doors to GLBT people

Posted by: Richard Golden | Nov 26, 2011 4:42:21 PM

23. If Timmy Dolan is so worried about "the women and the children," then why doesn't he do something about divorce? Divorce is the greatest threat to "traditional marriage," not gay marriage. Gays don't want to destroy "traditional marriage," they want to sign up. They want equality!

I can't believe he's talking about contraceptives as an evil force that will destroy civilization. Is the Catholic Church still pushing the proposition that it is the duty of every married couple to have as many children as God wants them to have? I believe even PapaRatzi himself has reluctantly agreed that it would be okay for condoms to be used to prevent the spread of AIDS in Africa, but only by married men and only in intercourse with their wives. Or something like that.

Timmy is delusional. He's still working from the premise that the Catholic Church is a force for good in the world. You don't have to go back to the Inquisition to disprove that, just look at the recent criminal history of the Church worldwide. The Catholic Church is more worried about the reputation of the church than they are about the welfare of the children of the church.

Posted by: Ninong | Nov 26, 2011 5:03:44 PM

24. Yet another scumbag in the heirarchy of the most primitive regressive organization on earth. I have come to really despise the lunacy and ignorance of the RC church!

Posted by: dancobbb | Nov 26, 2011 5:26:27 PM

25. The church is against contraception because there will likely be fewer babies to brainwash into the primitive mentality of Roman Catholicism. Just DISGUSTING beyond words. In Europe, when the reformation took place, the Protestants thought of the Catholics as the weaker intellects in society. It's the same today. NO wonder they feel this way when you consider the lunacy of this bumbling fool.

Posted by: dancobbb | Nov 26, 2011 5:28:32 PM