George Michael | Vienna

UPDATED: George Michael's Condition Worsens

GeorgeMichael

Recent news reports on George Michael's health are pretty grim. Yesterday, Andy reported that the star was hospitalized in Austria for severe pneumonia. Today, we have this, from The Vienna Times:

Doctors treating singer George Michael on the 13th floor of the Vienna AKH general hospital say his condition has worsened overnight ... He was taken by ambulance to the city's top Rudolfiner private hospital in the 19th district of the city, where a decision was taken to move him to the main general hospital - the AKH.

The hospital refused to say why the star was moved but it is believed it was decided that the singer's condition was so acute that it would be better if he was moved to the AKH - the biggest in Europe and where many of the continent's top medical experts are based because of the advanced facilities it offers for research as well as treatment.

... [Michael] is currently in intensive care on the 13th floor of the red tower as a result of heart problems believed to be caused by the shortage of oxygen caused by his pneumonia.

On Thursday afternoon he was fitted into a special full-body bed designed to keep all the pressure off his lungs and to help them to function - so far without any sign of improvement.

UPDATE: Not all sources are in agreement on the state of Michael's health. The Daily Mail quotes doctors from the Medical University of Vienna saying Michael's "condition has stabilised and he is responding to treatment."

Here's hoping. But even if the doctors' optimistic assessments are true, the 48-year-old singer will be unable to complete his Symphonica tour, of which 14 dates remain. The doctors offer no estimates of the length of Michael's recovery, but insist that for however long it lasts, "complete rest and peace and quiet are mandatory."

Comments

1. I really hope he will be ok.

Posted by: Rich Monsoon | Nov 26, 2011 1:19:41 PM

2. This does not bode well. Pneumonia is a terrible illness. I really hope he rallies and pulls through.

C'mon, George - you can beat this!!!!

Posted by: CARIBTONY | Nov 26, 2011 1:24:23 PM

3. I swear we were just looking at pics of him at some hotel in Italy with some hot guy. How did this all happen so fast?

What a shame.

Posted by: Joe B. | Nov 26, 2011 1:26:22 PM

4. :( Get well George.

Posted by: Keithy | Nov 26, 2011 1:36:20 PM

5. I like this site!

Posted by: chris hendo_002 | Nov 26, 2011 1:51:56 PM

6. Such a talented musician. Get well soon.

Posted by: The Milkman | Nov 26, 2011 1:58:43 PM

7. Hang in there George. You're not allowed to check out yet.

Posted by: Tone | Nov 26, 2011 2:09:53 PM

8. Some of that semen he has been ingesting went into his lungs and there you are! Nuff said, George has been HIV+ for years and coupled with POOR choices such as drugs and drinking his condition has been made worse. He is NOT young when you look at the HORRIBLE way he has treated his body over the years...get well because your pain George is NOT mine nor my empathy...there are countless numbers of people who have crippling diseases with LESS resources than this man and he has not learned.

Posted by: True Words | Nov 26, 2011 2:20:16 PM

9. Obvious troll is obvious. Please do not feed.

Posted by: Brian | Nov 26, 2011 2:28:07 PM

10. you're such a big man, "true words", to share your bitterness from a place of online anonymity.

coward

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Nov 26, 2011 2:29:27 PM

11. Semen, when ingested, doesn't move to the lungs any more than a roast beef sandwich will. Get a brain, and a moral compass, moron.

Posted by: Joe | Nov 26, 2011 2:50:12 PM

12. @truewords: what an idiot and uneducated person you are! Please go live in a cave..where you belong! Stop saying stupid things about GM! caveman!

Posted by: Genevieve | Nov 26, 2011 2:57:32 PM

13. Get well George, wishing you many more wild parties and shirtless beefcake in your future!

Posted by: DJSauvage | Nov 26, 2011 3:03:00 PM

14. @Brian - I'm with you on that. Sure, the provocation is hard to resist. But not feeding it is the best course of action.

Pneumonia is no laughing matter. I had it last winter and it lasted a full five months. I hope he gets well. No one should have to suffer through that illness.

Posted by: Bobby | Nov 26, 2011 3:38:27 PM

15. he's too young for pneumonia...my understanding is that it almost exclusively affects the elderly & people with compromised immune systems. :( :(

Posted by: redball | Nov 26, 2011 3:49:13 PM

16. Not true Joe, last year I ate a roast beef sammich real quick and it went right to my lungs and that coupled with my "dangerous" lifestyle nearly killed me. Thank god there are some guys like True to help show my the away from my gay semen and roast beef filled ways!

Posted by: Jerry | Nov 26, 2011 3:51:21 PM

17. He has AIDS!!!

Posted by: cindi | Nov 26, 2011 3:52:26 PM

18. I had a friend who acquired double septic pneumonia earlier this year. After a few days he seemed to be improving, they took him off the ventilator, and within a day he was back on it as his condition took a turn for the worse. The next day he passed away.

My friend was 23, healthy, and didn't mess with drugs.

Pneumonia isn't just a killer of elderly and immune-suppressed people.

Posted by: sparks | Nov 26, 2011 3:56:49 PM

19. So sad and painful - I hope he recovers quickly. Pneumonia can strike whenever, whomever, seemingly. There is a vaccine for some types - though he probably got that. We take our lungs for granted. Like we take common decency for granted 'til a troll or two reminds us that the poor ins spirit will always be among us. Though it could be anything, precaution for those who would do as I hope George did would be to nuke your pot - I have had doctors recommend this to friends too - microwave for 30 seconds was what I heard, ten here: http://www.thebody.com/content/art5021.html - whatever won't ruin the weed. Mold is everywhere but directly inhaled is unnecessary. Just saying. GET WELL SOON George.

Posted by: JamesR | Nov 26, 2011 3:59:12 PM

20. god bless,my prayers to you george, i have many good memories listening and dancing to your music.hang tough and get better

Posted by: shirl | Nov 26, 2011 4:14:55 PM

21. I just saw him live a couple of months ago here in Barcelona for his Symphonica show and he was at the top of his game- brilliant.
    Best wishes George!

Posted by: oliver | Nov 26, 2011 4:23:08 PM

22. Now is not the time for anyone to debate anything socio-political or say "he did it to himself." George Michael would probably not like me very much, but I've still enjoyed his music over the years. And seeing people lose someone they love is heartbreaking. And no one should die this young. I'm praying for you, George.

Posted by: Mary | Nov 26, 2011 4:33:01 PM

23. I would just hope that he hasn't been promiscuous and spending his free time in those ghastly saunas and sex clubs with poor circulation and God-knows different types of bacterial spores floating in the air.

In any case, get well, George.

Posted by: jason | Nov 26, 2011 4:38:31 PM

24. Most celebrities are unexceptional people put in place by unmerited marketing and by immature audiences, some are standouts by any measure regardless of their area of expertise. For talent George is somewhere inbetween with a very low score for exemplary leadership. I hope he recovers at least long enough to improve his life and image... and this is entirely possible as witnessed by many who have shadowed death's door, recovered as wiser beings and gone on to become greatly inspired and inspiring people.

Posted by: uffda | Nov 26, 2011 4:41:35 PM

25. I am sorry. I always thought George was a cool guy. If he really is HIV, it will be a tuff fight. Best to George.

Posted by: Tim | Nov 26, 2011 4:41:43 PM