James Wolk | News | Playing Gay | Television

BigGayDeal.com

James Wolk to Play Gay on 'Happy Endings'

Wolk

James Wolk is joining the cast of Happy Endings, they report.

TV Line adds: "TVLine has learned that the sought-after actor will appear in multiple episodes of the buzzy ABC comedy playing Max’s old new boyfriend. That’s right, he’s a guy Adam Pally’s scene-stealing character used to date and is now dating again."

(image w)

Comments

1. I really like Happy Endings altho I was dismayed of their choice of a straight man to play the gay character. He does a good enough job and during the first season there was some gay plot lines (he fell for a new Coffee House owner). Still, there was no touching or kissing just a lot of joking. James Wolk is not gay either so we've got two straight men playing two gay boyfriend roles. That does not make me happy because gay actors need work just like everyone else. Here's hoping these two straight actors are convincing enough to pull off a real gay relationship but I'm apprehensive.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Nov 16, 2011 11:10:13 AM

2. James Wolk is also playing gay in the play "Next Fall", currently running at the Geffen Playhouse in Los Angeles. In this his boyfriend is played by Geoffrey Nauffts, also the author of the play, and gay. A very good play, and Wolk is plenty convincing.

Posted by: RobG | Nov 16, 2011 11:55:11 AM

3. Max is my favorite gay character on TV. Ever.

Posted by: Craig | Nov 16, 2011 12:11:16 PM

4. Thanks for the info on Wolk's play work and nice to know he has some gay acting history. Perhaps we will see Max and Wolk actually playfully kiss or end up in bed together just as we see the other non-gay couples. I love Damon Wayans Jr, he is very funny and sexy and I like Max too. Would be funny/cute if Wolk played the sex part of the relationship up the way Damon does, i.e., I LOL when Damon dropped his pants unexpectedly and flopped back on the bed in his boxeers hoping to have sex with his wife, very funny.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Nov 16, 2011 12:49:02 PM

5. Umm...if there's a scene-stealing character on Happy Endings, it's gotta be Penny. She's KAH-RAZY! Love her.

Posted by: redball | Nov 16, 2011 1:00:45 PM

6. and isn't damon wayans, jr a gay man playing a straight character? certainly seems that way.

Posted by: shanesoho | Nov 16, 2011 3:11:51 PM

7. shanesoho, i wish--I WISH! he could get it anytime.

Posted by: redball | Nov 16, 2011 4:23:57 PM

8. I don't mind the Max character being played by a straight man, because the character fits me to a T. It's nice to have characters to identify with on tv, no matter who is playing them.

Posted by: Bobsyouruncle | Nov 16, 2011 8:18:46 PM

9. There's an interview of him on Youtube where it's just a closeup of his face the entire time - he's ridiculously breathtaking.
    I have mixed feelings though b/c James and Adam Pally look like they could be brothers or the 'before' and 'after' of a weight-loss commercial.

Posted by: Teddy | Nov 16, 2011 8:44:44 PM

10. There is hardly any such thing as a straight actor, anyhow. It is mostly gay and not gay.

Posted by: Gabe R L | Nov 17, 2011 10:18:57 AM

11. I fell in love with"Jimmy" Wolk in a Hallmark TV movie"Front Of The Class" & include him in "AutoSearch" on my DVR, I am in love with this guy ! Not only is he GORGEOUS, but a very talented actor.Thank gawd @ least now I'll have something else to watch as I drool....

Posted by: Mark Penti | Nov 17, 2011 2:05:59 PM

12. @ REDBALL: I agree - Penny is NUTS!!! LOVE HER!!! I watch the show because overall I love the premise and feel (and because it's set in Chicago). Max being gay is just icing on the cake....kinda have the hots for 'Dave' right now....yummy!!!

But, in relation to this post - it WOULD be nice to see a humorous gay role in an impromptu-based comedy; the scenarios would be interesting....

Posted by: CARIBTONY | Nov 19, 2011 7:27:10 PM

13. terrible show-glad it was cancelled-the Max character was not gay at all-it was all gimmick-it was almost as if they cast a white actor and just said "he's black"

Posted by: Nathan | Jun 21, 2013 7:43:29 PM