Condoleezza Rice | News | Pat Robertson | Thanksgiving

Pat Robertson Confused by Mac and Cheese: VIDEO

Mac

Not sure whose Thanksgiving would be more miserable, Maggie Gallagher's or Pat Robertson's.

Said Robertson to 700 co-host Kristi Watts following her interview with Condoleezza Rice about favorite Thanksgiving dishes: "What is this 'Mac and Cheese'? Is it a Black thing?"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Just die already, you racist, homophobic, sexist bastard.

Posted by: Rich F. | Nov 23, 2011 1:42:56 PM

2. Why didn't that drag queen rip her weave off and scratch his eyeballs out?

Posted by: endo | Nov 23, 2011 1:50:47 PM

3. Dumb, racist, and clinically insane/religious fundamental (the last two being synonyms).

Posted by: redball | Nov 23, 2011 1:52:40 PM

4. Please tell me this moron is joking about Mac and Cheese being a 'Black Thing'

Posted by: Kim | Nov 23, 2011 2:08:04 PM

5. How could any person who lives in the US and is 200 years old not know what macaroni and cheese is? His senility is so apparent. It's only served in at least a quarter of U.S. restaurants serving traditional U.S. food, especially in the South and Midwest.

And how could any self-respecting woman concede his point and claim that it's "a black thing"? Mind-boggling.

Not to mention, as much as I dislike Condi Rice, it was equally baffling for the interviewer to call her "sister." I guess they've both sold themselves out to work for born-again white men who likely don't respect them.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 23, 2011 2:15:01 PM

6. I grew up on Mac and Cheese, and I'm not black.
    Wouldn't you think Robertson would at least be acquainted with the dish, from watching television commercials? ("It's the cheesiest").
    How out of touch can one man be?

Posted by: Rob Schendel | Nov 23, 2011 2:16:47 PM

7. He knows what Mac & Cheese is, he was commenting on eating it as part of Thanksgiving dinner. Mind you, it was still a stupid remark. I am white and my family had M&C as a side at Thanksgiving! I still make it every year for Thanksgiving dinner.

Posted by: Jim | Nov 23, 2011 2:20:25 PM

8. Come on, he was saying he's never had it at Thanksgiving. I never have either.

Posted by: Markus | Nov 23, 2011 2:22:01 PM

9. Oh give me a break, hyperventilators!

There a thousand things about which to jump on Robertson's case. This is not one of them.

Posted by: oneway | Nov 23, 2011 2:40:19 PM

10. LOL

mac & cheese is more like a poor white trash thing and or poor white college kids eat in their dorm room

In other words what most of the poor schleps who send Pat their hard earned money eat

Posted by: say what | Nov 23, 2011 2:40:28 PM

11. That poor old senile lunatic.

He's simply forgotten what it is, that's all.

Posted by: johnny | Nov 23, 2011 2:43:35 PM

12. Ummmm... excuse me? Mac & Cheese is a white trash thing? You can take a flying leap.

Maybe Kraft Macaroni & Cheese... but most people bake homemade mac and cheese for holidays. And it is a staple for MILLIONS of people, not to mention gourmet mac and cheese is at quite a few upscale restaurants. Ugh... what a classist/snobbish statement.

As for Pat Robertson, he's an idiot if he thinks its a black thing. But he's out of touch regarding pretty much any form of reality, so no surprise.

Posted by: BEAHBEAH | Nov 23, 2011 3:14:36 PM

13. all i want for xmas is falwell to claw his way up from hell and drag his buddy back down with him... choking on his own vile juices, et al.

Posted by: sleepy bear | Nov 23, 2011 3:16:06 PM

14. He wants to know what to feed the slave labor in his African diamond mines.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Nov 23, 2011 3:19:25 PM

15. The 1% aren't familiar with Mac & Cheese. To them, it's fettuccine Alfredo.

Posted by: Michael W. | Nov 23, 2011 3:19:48 PM

16. Ummm...I'm Hungry!

Posted by: Alan Arthur Chiras | Nov 23, 2011 3:19:48 PM

17. Yo, Derrick, Say What, and Kev:

Tell this damn cracker that greens and fatback is what black folk eat on Thanksgiving Day, not macaroni!

Posted by: Rick | Nov 23, 2011 3:38:37 PM

18. LOL rick

Im white

Collored greens are a southern thing white or black. I actually have a pot in the fridge at the moment. Cooked up with ham (fat back will kill ya) onions and a bit of apple cider vinegar

Collored greens, corn bread, fried okra wether poor or not white or black doesn't matter all that matters is if your southern= then you have eaten them

Heck everyone in the south was poor though once. After the civil war a crow couldn't fly over georgia without packing its own lunch let alone it ended up somebodys lunch. narry a crow or squirrel could be found in the south during reconstruction

They even used to go into the old salt houses and boil dirt then strain the water and let it evaporate to collect the salt drippings

The whole south was extremely poor for a long time

Posted by: say what | Nov 23, 2011 4:57:03 PM

19. Strange. My family has Mac and Cheese all the time. And we have not got an ounce of 'black' in us. WTF? A black thing? Seriously I never think of people as black, red, yellow, etc. We are all the same but with different hangups in life. And as for food... food is food. Why does it get stereotyped as a 'color' food?

Posted by: Crow Mistress | Nov 23, 2011 5:42:47 PM

20. goodchrist...EVERY time he opens his mouth...why do they let him in front of a camera??

Posted by: Danny | Nov 23, 2011 5:46:04 PM

21. So much of him is fake, could his Southern accent be, too?

Posted by: BobN | Nov 23, 2011 6:00:45 PM

22. Bobn, Pat Robertson is from Lexington in western Virginia. It's about 30 minutes from where my grandparents are from. Think Walton's Mountain and you have that kind of area in your mind. One of the hickest places in the world, and the only way people feel better about justifying living there is saying they're from "westERN Virginia," not "West Virginia," because they're oh-so-worse.

Posted by: Mike | Nov 23, 2011 6:30:22 PM

23. I will go to the end of any line of folks that try to defend this smirking doofus.
    Nonetheless: "growing up" in Iowa with mainly farm folks and small town people as relatives, we never had M%C for any special occasion. My Grandma made it from scratch sometimes, and my Mom (who is the only woman I know who could ruin fish sticks, roasts and oatmeal with equal ability) gave us the Kraft stuff sometimes because there wasn't a bunch of money available.
    It wasn't until years later that I enjoyed the really tasty stuff made by the parents and families of Black friends.
    And I have to add that calling something "mac and cheese" seems to fit with the corporate realignment that rechristened "Kentucky Fried Chicken" as "KFC", with ads featuring black actors representing consumers.

Posted by: gregory brown | Nov 23, 2011 7:57:36 PM

24. Several people here have said what I was going to post - namely, that Robertson wasn't saying anything racist but was merely surprised at people who eat Mac and cheese at Thanksgiving and wondered whether blacks had mac and cheese as a special part of their Thanksgiving menu. I'm sure he knows what the dish mac and cheese IS! But at any rate, he seems to have a knack for offending everyone - left and right. Many conservatives gave up on him when he endorsed Giuliani 3 years ago. I was totally perplexed by his actions and chalked it up to senility.

But I'll show you how naive people can be about various ethnic food traditions. My family is Italian-American. We always ate macaroni and meatballs on Christmas. I was 27 before I learned that most Americans ate turkey on this day. It never occurred to me to wonder what the non-Italian portion of the U.S. had as its Christmas culinary staple. It's true!

Posted by: Mary | Nov 23, 2011 8:04:05 PM

25. @Mary: sorry, but you still got it wrong. No offense, but turkey is for Thanksgiving. Christmas is traditionally celebrated with ham, beef, or even fondue. No one I've ever known, of any ethnicity, eats turkey on Christmas because they're so damn tired of the leftovers from Thanksgiving.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 23, 2011 9:49:38 PM