News: Scotty McCreery, God and Thanksgiving, Topeka, Cameroon

RoadWingnuts angry that Obama left 'God' out of his Thanksgiving address.

MichaelRoadGeorge Michael hospitalized with pneumonia.

RoadVIDEO: American Idol Scott McCreery's Macy's Thanksgiving Parade lip-sync fail.

RoadLesbian attacked by gang in Australia. "Shannon and her girlfriend and another female friend were on the way home from a night out when they were approached by a gang of up to six men. The men started to harass the three and called Shannon a 'stupid dyke' before punching her in the face and knocking her to the ground. When Shannon stood up to defend herself she was punched to the ground again and kicked."

RoadBeyoncé teases "Dance for You" music video.

RoadDavid Beckham pays a visit to Prince Harry.

RoadRevisiting Richard Gere.

RoadTopeka mayor says he's too old to support domestic partners: “I’m afraid I’m too old for this. What I see happening all throughout this city and across this country is a minimizing of the need for a man and a woman to have a family. You don’t have to do that anymore. It’s accepted, and I think that’s the wrong road to go down.”

XlRoadNYC's biggest gay club prepares to open: "The duo's massive XL Nightclub, which is expected to be the biggest, seven-night-a-week gay club in the city, is set to open in January, Blair said. He is confident that gay partygoers will pack the club once it opens, largely because of its proximity to the growing gay community of Hell's Kitchen."

RoadOnly 39 couples have obtained civil unions since they went into effect in Rhode Island.

RoadSame-sex marriage to be issue for Republicans in New Hampshire: "State lawmakers plan to take up a measure to repeal the law allowing same-sex couples to wed and a vote is expected at some point in January -- the same month as New Hampshire holds the nation's first Republican presidential primary contest. Already, candidates have been put on the spot over the divisive social issue when most, if not all, would rather be talking about the economy, voters' No. 1 concern."

RoadLISTEN: Kelis meets Avicii.

KellerRoadFirst look: Archie comics' Kevin Keller gets married.

RoadAmnesty International urges Cameroon to release jailed gay men: “The Yaounde court must overturn this shocking sentence, which punishes these three men solely on the basis of their perceived sexual orientation,” said Erwin van der Borght, Amnesty International’s director for Africa, in a statement.

RoadNew era for Texas A&M Cadets following repeal of 'DADT': “People call the Corps backward and nothing but a bunch of white Christian men,” he said. “The reality is, the Corps has been progressive,” he added, especially compared to the nation's conservative military academies.

RoadAdam Levine shows off his yoga skillz for Details.

RoadKaty Perry wanted for Broadway version of My Week with Marilyn. “I think Katy would be perfect to play Marilyn Monroe,” said Weinstein, who runs The Weinstein Co. with his brother, Bob. “She would knock it out of the universe.”

Comments

1. Katy Perry can barely sing; I can't imagine her acting would be much better

Posted by: Grover Underwood | Nov 25, 2011 2:59:47 PM

2. I've never been to NYC. I'm guessing most nightclubs/bars are pretty small?

Posted by: Xtab | Nov 25, 2011 3:22:09 PM

3. re Lesbian bashing in Australia, sounds like we export American religion to the Aussies.

Posted by: Danny | Nov 25, 2011 3:23:01 PM

4. Just want to say thanks for all the news from the wingnuts, Geo Michael, and the best tidbit of all, the upcoming Kevin Keller marriage issue coming this January. I'm a big subscriber and have all five issues released thus far from Archie Comics regarding Kevin. I encourage all readers to hit the online Archie Comic site today and subscribe and show your support for this very wholesome gay character.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Nov 25, 2011 3:53:06 PM

5. Just sent this to the mayor of topeka;

Sent to the mayor of Topeka Kansas today

To: 'bbunten@topeka.org'
    Subject: Your opposition to the domestic Partners registry

Dear Mayor Bunten:

I am writing to you as a legally married gay man in California. I hope you will consider taking the time to read my letter and respond.

You said that, “I’m afraid I’m too old for this. What I see happening all throughout this city and across this country is a minimizing of the need for a man and a woman to have a family. You don’t have to do that anymore. It’s accepted, and I think that’s the wrong road to go down.” No, Sir, you're not too old, but I respectfully submit that you are just too stuck in your thinking, so much so that you won't let logic, compassion, facts, and experience bring you to question what you may have been brought up with.

When we gay people ask for legal recognition for our family bonds, we're asking for US. No one is minimizing the need for a man and a woman to have a family. First, not every man and woman either could, should, or wants to have a family. Susan Smith and Casey Anthony should convince you of that. Second, gay people come from families, want families, and want to protect them. I have many friends that have been devoted couples for three to five decades, longer than all seven of Limbaugh's and Gingrich's marriages combined, but my friends are legal strangers to each other. I know many gay couples with children. Oftentimes, those children-- 70,000 in California ALONE-- are adopted, and usually the castoff, unwanted products of irresponsible heterosexual procreation. We are prevented, by attitudes like yours, from providing our families with the legal, financial, and social protections and benefits of marriage. It does no good nor provides a singe benefit or protection for any heterosexual family, but it harms ours immensely.

And YOU would deprive us of the limited protections of a city-only domestic partnership registration. And all because you are "too old" to think it through and challenge your beliefs. Are you "too old" to care as well? Can you tell me why the families and family bonds of heterosexuals are more important than ours?

But there is a third reason, the most important of all. You should think about this. 97% of the population is heterosexual, 3% is homosexual, and the latter are BY DEFINTION extremely unlikely EVER to form a man-woman family. If you are really so concerned about minimizing the man-woman family, maybe you should be talking to THEM about it, instead of denying our families the palest imitation of the protections you routinely grant to your own.

Maybe you should be talking to THEM about the 40% divorce rate in heterosexual marriage. What about the national plague of fathers who abandon and provide no support for their children? What about the 40% illegitimacy rates among heterosexuals? What about the 25-33% adultery rates? What about our still epidemic rates of teen pregnancy? Believe me, it isn't gay boys knocking up lesbian girls. What about that certain community that is positively plagued by generations of children having children, or multiple men fathering multiple children on multiple women, where the fathers disappear and the mothers go on welfare, to repeat the cycle yet again.

What does ANY of this have to do with marriage equality, or even a weak-tea domestic partners ordinance?

We gay people neither intend nor have done any harm to the heterosexual majority and the heterosexual family. It is a slanderous lie to claim otherwise. We want to take nothing from you. I have yet to see the slightest evidence that my marriage has harmed a single heterosexual marriage, except in the fantasy life of the anti-gay industry.

Our lives and families are every bit as valuable as yours. We do not ask you to approve of or accept gay people, or our relationships, or to be a part of our lives. We are not attacking your marriages, your families, your relationships, your faith, or your rights, or preventing them from being legally protected. We just want the same rights and protections that you have. Nothing more. And nothing less. Can you say the same about your intentions towards us?

So no, you're not too old. But you really need to start thinking and feel some compassion in your heart.

Posted by: Ben in Oakland | Nov 25, 2011 4:09:10 PM

6. Hope George Michael recovers soon from his "community acquired pneumonia".

Posted by: Kenneth H. | Nov 25, 2011 5:09:48 PM

7. I hope GM was safe with all his tricks. Wish him good recovery.

Posted by: nueva | Nov 25, 2011 6:34:33 PM

8. civil unions = back of the bus

Posted by: mld | Nov 25, 2011 8:16:06 PM

9. Re: McCreery, who cares? Everybody lip syncs in that travesty of a "parade." The whole fact that all these acts stop in front of Macy's makes it a complete joke and exposes it for what it is: and extended advertisement for Macy's/Broadway shows/NBC TV. Horrible.

Posted by: Craig | Nov 25, 2011 9:53:21 PM

10. Very nice Ben. I happen to be visiting Oakland right now and am happy to be in your city. Cheers!

Posted by: David R. | Nov 26, 2011 1:53:56 AM

11. @Ben... You wrote a beautiful and brilliant letter. I have no idea how we will ever find out if you get a response.

What I fear with the mayor and those like him though is that he likely believes that being gay is a choice. And, therefore, he believes that legitimizing that choice through marriage equality would convince more people to make that choice and "become" gay. This is how he believes "gay marriage" will affect straight marriage. Men and women who would enter into straight marriages if gay marriage wasn't an acceptable option will instead choose to be gay.

Posted by: Tim NC | Nov 26, 2011 8:35:20 AM

12. Had to read about the Presidents Thanksgiving Address myself as I didn't believe the crazy article that wing nut wrote....the president references God twice and also giving thanks in places of worship. Thanksgiving is not a religious holiday even though originally they thanked god for the bounty of the Harvest. I celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas and I am not religious and I am sure that a large percent of the population feels the same. They are National Holidays not Religious Holidays no matter how they started. They have to be to apply to all the citizens of our great country, religious or not.

Posted by: Dorishin | Nov 26, 2011 10:37:20 AM

13. Thanks a lot for sharing. You have done a brilliant job. Your article is truly relevant to my study at this moment, and I am really happy I discovered your website.

Posted by: research paper | Nov 26, 2011 7:04:16 PM

14. I wish everyone would just Leave Scotty McCreery alone. He doesn't deserve to be bashed for missing 4 words. I'm so sick of people making such a big deal out of it. People aren't doing Lauren that way and I'm glad they're not. Please Scotty's mistake wasn't a big one. For crying out loud just drop it Scotty haters.

Posted by: jane Cash | Dec 1, 2011 2:25:42 AM

15. Used cars assessment is very important before buying any cars; this is because when you are paying for a used car it is a risk and you can be paying for something which is simply crap therefore the used car report makes sure that you have paid for something you have got.

Posted by: 車買取 | Jun 12, 2012 2:31:45 AM