Tim Tebow’s Wife is in a Brokeback Marriage

Michael David Smith at NBC Sports notes how many in the NFL are losing patience over Tim Tebow's relationship with Jesus:

Tebow“If you’re married, and you have a wife, and you really love your wife, is it good enough to only say to your wife, I love her, the day you get married? Or should you tell her every single day when you wake up and have the opportunity? And that’s how I feel about my relationship with Jesus Christ,” Tebow said. “It is the most important thing in my life, so every opportunity I have to tell him I love him, or I’m given an opportunity to shout him out on national TV, I’m going to take that opportunity.”

And Tebow's also not just emotionally cheating on his wife, he's cheating openly and often:

There’s a distinction, however, between what Plummer criticized Tebow for and what Tebow responded to. Plummer wasn’t objecting to Tebow saying “I love you” to Jesus. Plummer was objecting to Tebow saying “I love Jesus” to the public, and saying it in just about every public appearance he makes. There’s nothing wrong with a man saying “I love you” to his wife every day, and there’s nothing wrong with a man saying “I love you” when he prays every day. What Plummer was saying is that he doesn’t think Tebow should inject his religious beliefs into a football discussion. Just as Plummer would, presumably, think it a little weird if an NFL player mentioned that he loves his wife in every interview.

JesusAnd, you know, he'd leave her for him:

But that leads to the next thing Tebow said in his interview — that his love for Jesus is greater than a man’s love for his wife, greater than Tebow’s own love for his family and greater than Tebow’s own love for football, and so it doesn’t matter to Tebow what Plummer thinks. Tebow said his relationship to Jesus is more important than anything else.

“I look at it as a relationship I have with him, I want to give him the honor and glory every time I get the opportunity,” Tebow said. “And then after I give him the honor and glory I always try to give my teammates the honor and glory, and that’s how it works. Because Christ comes first in my life, and then my family, and then my teammates. I respect Jake’s opinion, and I really appreciate his compliment of calling me a winner, but I feel like every time I get the opportunity to give the Lord some praise he is due for it because what he did for me, and what he did on the cross for all of us. I really appreciate his opinion and I respect him, but I still will give all the honor and glory to the Lord because he deserves it.”

Meanwhile, fans are turning Tebow into Jesus, which is a whole other eye-rolling kind of worship.

Previously…
Tim Tebow's Man on Man Victory Kiss [tr]
Tim Tebow Can't Talk About Same-Sex Marriage [tr]
Tim Tebow Defends Participation in Focus on the Family Ad [tr]

(via outsports)

Comments

1. MARCUS BACHMANN says

“And then after I give him the honor and glory I always try to give my teammates the honor and glory, and that’s how it works.” YEAH, BABY!

2. MikeH says

Well, his behavior may be a little out of the ordinary, but as long as he doesn’t try to impose his belief system on me or be a bigot, good for him if it makes him happy! I have no problem whatsoever with religious people. I know quite a few who are very devout and very gay friendly and loving. The wacko people are the ones who manipulate religion to make a quick buck by appealing to bigots and hate. It is unfortunate that the haters are the ones who get all the press. They are giving religion a bad name. P.S. I’m an atheist.

3. Gay American says

Ohh we can see WHERE this is going! When Nitwit T-Bo retires, or is forced to via Injury, then a quick course on the internet in Theology,get a parstor certificate and …..Wa-Laaa INSTANT PREACHER for Jesus….Dollars to Doughnuts, he turns this into a $$$$ making scam, and the sheeple will eat it right up.

4. Jerry says

He’s probably trying to take the focus away from his lousy performance these days, but it’s not working. Fans are noticing and we want him to improve his relationship with football or get off the effing field.

5. TANK says

Oh, Andy, you are just so clever! I get the joke: Tim Tebow is cheating on his wife (?) because he loves Jesus more than he loves her! How hilarious! You know, Tim Tebow is such a difficult person to make fun of, but you found his weakness. Your post was just so funny: you really do have a sophisticated, droll sense of humor! Maybe you sould tell jokes for a living! You know, I think that there are lots of retirement homes down in Florida where people would enjoy hearing your witty and sarcastic comments. You could be the next Don Rickles if you tried hard enough!

6. Derrick from Philly says

” You could be the next Don Rickles if you tried hard enough!”

No, that spot is already taken…and we who’ve read Towleroad for atleast the last 3 years know by whom.

7. TANK says

@DE WRECK FROM PHILLY: I assume you meant to say, “that spot has already been taken,” girlfriend? Otherwise your sentence doesn’t make sense. But don’t put yourself down like that, honey! There are a lot of pathetic, bitter, middle-aged queens around here who resemble Don Rickles much more closely than you do! You’re more like Towleroad’s Norm Crosby!

8. Just me says

If somebody said in every interview “I love my wife” people would find it odd and we propaply would soon find out that they are cheating their wife or that they gay.

So, how can you cheat Jesus?

9. mike/ says

i’m not sure about delusional, but it does have certain aspects of obsessive-compulsive behavior; plus some poor self-confidence issues…

10. DearComrade says

Another creepy Christian. Someone needs to tell this guy that there is a difference between following Jesus & stalking him.

11. Rich F. says

I’ve noticed that the people who are constantly talking about how wonderful their religion is, and how much they love their god, in general have very little actual faith. In addition, Tebow is violating his own god’s instructions with his constant public prayer.

Matthew 6:5-6 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.”

12. gregory brown says

Tebow overlooks the admonition by his Beloved
    that it’s most proper to pray privately and not make a big public deal of it, like the Pharisees did. Proclaiming the Good News does not require constant yammering. Maybe T misunderstands that the faithful are known by how fruity they seem.

13. gregory brown says

Of course, Jesus DID make it clear that he wasn’t in the Family Values camp, admitting that he was ready to tear husbands from wives and children from parents. Maybe Tebow should commit fully and leave his wife.

14. enough already says

This young man is seriously messed up. It is blatantly obvious where this is all going to end.

15. Nat says

“Well, his behavior may be a little out of the ordinary, but as long as he doesn’t try to impose his belief system on me or be a bigot, good for him if it makes him happy!”

I wouldn’t go quite that far, but I do find the obsession over him rather bizarre. I thought Tulloch tebowing after the sack was pretty damn funny, but there’s a certain viciousness to attacks on him as a person, and until he makes an actual anti-gay comment, I don’t see the point. Until then, he’s just another insecure person who feels he needs the crutch that religion provides.

16. MKe says

Annoying but if my life went that perfectly and then I grew up and got paid millions of dollars to play mediocre football I’d be in love with Jesus too.

17. TANK says

Well, I know that a bunch of you catty queens are going to clobber me for saying this, but I just wonder how many of you Tebow bashers would slam the door in Tebow’s face if he showed up at your door ready for action, with that big muscular body all oiled up, and wearing only a black leather thong and a dog collar with silver studs? You pathetic bitches would bang that till the cows came home, or vice versa! Hey, I have to keep it real, guys!

18. gregory brown says

Thanks, Tank, for sharing one of your particular fantasies. It’s frequently interesting to know what gets somebody’s juices flowing.

19. gaylib says

“but there’s a certain viciousness to attacks on him as a person, and until he makes an actual anti-gay comment, I don’t see the point”

20. Henry Holland says

“I do find the obsession over him rather bizarre”

My take is that he’s become a one-trick pony. He doesn’t seem have any personality outside of Bible-thumping; he comes across as an automaton, not a real human being, in interviews and he just has that hint of “I found the LORD!!!!!” craziness about him. It’s a way to have a debate about religion’s place in the public sphere without actually talking about it directly, which would be very messy.

Plus, as someone who has followed sports and the NFL closely since the late 60’s, the NFL never ever passes up a chance to align itself with God and the flag and the military. Voila! along comes Tebow and replica jersey sales with his name or Jesus’ on the back have skyrocketed. Given how much they cost, as the owner of a white Colts jersey with Brandon Stokley’s old number and name on the back, I’m certain those things make the NFL a TON of money.

21. TANK says

Try to be accurate in your posts, GAYLIB. Tebow filmed a “sanctamonius” ANTI-ABORTION commercial for Focus on the Family for the 2010 Super Bowl. He didn’t say one word about gay people in that commercial… he just flashed those big blue eyes, batted those long lashes and smiled, with those soft, kissable lips and those sparkling white teeth.

22. Nat says

“Try to keep up. Tebow filmed a sanctamonius, hateful anti-gay commercial for Focus on the Family that aired during the 2010 super bowl.”

No, he didn’t. The commercial was anti-abortion, not anti-gay. And yes, it was sanctimonious, but it wasn’t remotely hateful against pro-choice supporters.

To clarify: I don’t think it’s necessarily wrong to mock someone’s faith – if you put it out there as consistently as Tebow does, you should expect it, and you should be secure enough to take the punches. And that goes whether he’s Christian, a Jew, or a Muslim. But I find that there’s an obsession with him and his faith that is greatly disproportional to what he does.

23. Nat says

“My take is that he’s become a one-trick pony. He doesn’t seem have any personality outside of Bible-thumping; he comes across as an automaton, not a real human being, in interviews and he just has that hint of “I found the LORD!!!!!” craziness about him. ”

I know, which is why I don’t get the obsession, from either his detractors or from Christian apologists. As I said, he’s clearly insecure and constantly needs to re-affirm his faith. But there’s nothing really much to him that stands out, beyond his fixation with God.

24. Brains says

He is simply a useless player, and should be discarded unto the heap of the forgotten!

Using religion as a smoke screen for your lack of performance, is the cheapest trick in the book!

25. Rick says

Folks, the Jesus stuff is just an act with Timmy. He is as queer as a 3-dollar bill. This is just his unique way of dealing with it, however twisted.

It is not all that hard to understand.

Maybe some of you just don’t want to see it because having a gay man succeed in the most masculine of occupations makes the more effeminate among you as insecure as it makes some homophobic straight men. In reality, you are just two sides of the same coin, deeply threatened by the idea of a gay man being as masculine as any straight man…..and therefore always trying to either deny the possibility or put down any guy who is.

26. Chitown Kev says

@Tank

*spits morning coffee all over keyboard*

That’s, uh…. quite a vivid T-Bone fantasy there, Tank.

27. Rick says

@Jerry, Brains, and Mike Are you guys serious? The Broncos have only lost one game since they let Tebow start. Before that, they had only won one game.

Is he ever going to be a superstar quarterback in the NFL? No. He does not have the classic passing skills, but everybody knew that before he was drafted.

He is just playing the game he plays–and he is winning–the same thing he did at Florida–which his predecessor was not doing

So I don’t understand your comments, unless you just don’t know anything about football, which would be par for the course for most people on this site.

28. Bobby says

If someone is religious, that is OK. Where the line must be drawn is when those religious beliefs are used to persecute others. This article seems to criticize Tim for just being religious, and I don’t think that is appropriate. We as consumers of the media are able to turn the station or mute the television if Tim begins talking about religion and we do not want to hear about it. Eventually, media may tire of interviewing him, as well. Where valid criticsm may be laid, however, is Tim’s affiliation with Focus on the Family, because FOF uses religious views to persecute others. BTW, Tim has never answered any questions regarding his views about homosexuality and gay marriage–although arguably they may be inferred by his connection to FOF. Leveling criticism on a person simply because they are religious, however, is not appropriate.

29. Nat says

“A high-profile athlete is expected to take advantage of all the gorgeous women his stardom makes available to him…..and because Tim has no interest in doing that, he needs a cover and an excuse for not pursuing women…..and this is it.”

Look, he may or may not be gay, which may be feeding this insecurity. But I don’t doubt the sincerity of his faith, even if I find said faith silly.

30. BEAHBEAH says

RICK, will you stop with this masculinity nonsense. Jesus H Christ, you are desperate and in need of a ham sandwich. That has NOTHING to do with this post or the issues being discussed here.

And outside of your obvious fetish for straight-acting men and self-hatred for being a homo, nothing points towards this guy being gay. And if he is, he’s a sad example of a gay man. Nothing to respect or uphold. Stuck in the closet and living a lie, much like yourself.

31. jaime jones says

I think Rick hit the nail on the head. Blatant public religiosity is just a cover up. And it probably is Tebow’s gay feelings and lack of interest in the opposite sex that is being covered up. Poor guy.

32. Rick says

“So was circumcising Filipino boys also part of this deep cover? Did the NFL fake his background story to give him Christian missionaries as parents?”

@Beahbeah Your response demonstrates my point perfectly. Gay to you equals being a sissy and any gay man who is not masculinely deficient threatens you deeply, every bit as much, if not more, as it threatens many straight men. Why? Because it deprives you of the ability to use your sexual orientation as an excuse for your effeminacy, by insisting that the two are related, when they, in fact are not.

33. BEAHBEAH says

RICK, what are you talking about? What in my post equated being gay with being a sissy? I don’t do that in my own life or behavior, nor on this site. I simply stated that you are off-topic and self-loathing. Pretty obvious on both counts.

And you don’t even know me. In what ways am I effeminate Rick?

34. Scott says

Jeez! I realize by stating this I myself might be adding to the attitude- but no wonder it’s so hard for us to accomplish a lot of civil rights victories- we’re all so jaded and bitchy to each other.

Being a Christian myself, I don’t necessarily agree with deriding Tebow for his “piety,” however, his sanctimony can be off-putting.

That said- I think he should be recognized for having some great strengths- it’s just up to Denver to see if they can develop those more- and btw, I don’t wanna start some stupid war, but it’s extremely naive and insulting to say most guys on here don’t know sh*t about team sports. My bf played football up til college, and he got in on a sports scholarship. There are no bigger Crimson Tide fans than us- and my 6″7 cop bro-in-law sends his kids with us to games cuz he doesn’t give crap about team sports. Stereotypes aren’t just bad, they’re inaccurate.
    A guy’s masculinity isn’t determined by how big his biceps are, or the extent of his MLB stats ( though a lot of us- contrary to some people’s opinions, are quite developed in both categories :p ) but by how he works hat and takes care of his family, and stands up to ignorance and fear. That’s a REAL man.

35. says

you gotta love how a story about Tebow’s Jesus obsession becomes one more chance for RICK to prove to us all how much his father was ashamed of him.

yeah. we don’t want to see …uh//a guy succeed in a “masculine” profession. yeah right.

what’s “masculine” about cowardly pretending to be what you’re not in order to play a game? that doens’t sound masculine. that sounds like a wimpy little boy who sucks up to bullies in order to be allowed to play. that’s literally the most un-masculine thing i can ever think of.

but it came from RICK, and we all know that RICK’s dad was ashamed to have a gay son, and RICK has wasted his life so far sucking up to his dear old dad, who frankly wishes RICk would just drop dead.

hating femmes won’t make your dad any less ashamed of you, RICKY.

nobody here has fears of emasculation except you. nobody here links being gay with being ‘femme’ or ‘weak’ except you.

RICK, we get it. we ALL get it. you’re a cowardly resentful homosexual and you blame femmes for the fact that your father doesnt love you.

get over it, wuss.

36. Nat says

“Go to the archives and read the story of Oral Roberts’ gay grandson and see if it has some similarities.”

That’s not the question I asked.

You made the assertion that Tebow was faking his beliefs. You bear an evidentiary burden to substantiate that assertion, but you have yet to offer any evidence at all. Tebow may or may not be gay, but there is no evidence that he is faking his religious beliefs.

“Your response demonstrates my point perfectly. Gay to you equals being a sissy and any gay man who is not masculinely deficient threatens you deeply, every bit as much, if not more, as it threatens many straight men. Why? Because it deprives you of the ability to use your sexual orientation as an excuse for your effeminacy, by insisting that the two are related, when they, in fact are not.”

Christ, Rick, that’s a stretch even for you.

As you’ve been told, multiple times, there are plenty of gay men who enjoy what might be thought of as stereotypically masculine activities (though go to any college football game, and you’ll see that the women are generally more fanatical than the men). And it’s not that hard to meet them, if you have the right attitude.

37. Donald says

I’d rather listen to him praise his Jesus than listen to most of the English language challenged thugs in the NFL. How many DUI’s has he had? Incidents where his posse beat the crap out of someone? Been in jail? Busted for anything? Pulled a gun on a teammate? Exactly.

38. Hollywood, CA says

He can say whatever he wants, whenever he wants. If you don’t like it, turn the channel. Peroid. Let’s not haver a double standard here.

39. Nat says

“The only lie that is being lived is by people like yourself, who, having internalized the idea that being attracted to other men makes you something less than a man, act the part and artificially model their behavior on women. And that is the saddest example, by far.”

So what if it is artificial?

We all do things to make assertions about who we feel we actually are. There is no clear line between who we ‘actually’ are and who we want/feel we should be. The two are interconnected. Damage is done when we repress something fundamental – such as our sexuality – but we still have the freedom to choose.

I’m curious – do you deride straight men who have no interest in sports? Because I have a straight friend who doesn’t follow them at all. He prefers reality television instead, which I generally cannot stand. Is he betraying his masculinity?

Do you deride women who play sports, more particularly, those who play contact sports, for betraying femininity?

40. Rick says

“You made the assertion that Tebow was faking his beliefs. You bear an evidentiary burden to substantiate that assertion, but you have yet to offer any evidence at all.”

Consider this. At SEC Media Days, a few years ago, a reporter had the balls to ask Tim if he had ever “had a girlfriend”…….and his response was, basically, that his religious belief required him to abstain from sex. You could practically hear the gasps around the room….and the question was asked in the first place because it is well known that he has never shown any interest in women, despite having had thousands (literally) throw themselves at him over the years.

Nobody bought his explanation, of course, but people play along with it because I don’t think that much of the sports public wants to deal with the reality of a gay man winning national championships and Heisman trophies as a quarterback just yet (which is why there is still, in 2011, not a single “out” player in the NFL or in the college ranks)….and, especially in the South, where Tebow is from, the Jesus stuff pushes all the right buttons for those who would like to think that, even if he is attracted to other guys, he is doing the right thing by abstaining…..

I think you know better, though.

41. Nat says

“If you really want to believe that a 20-something guy with raging hormones is abstaining from sex with the hottest women on the planet out of religious conviction, well, I guess that is your prerogative.”

That’s not what I believe it all, and as I have repeatedly said, that’s not what the conversation is about. The conversation isn’t about whether Tebow is or isn’t gay, it’s about your assertion that he is faking his religious convictions. And you have yet to offer any evidence to substantiate that.

“And, on a sidenote, even my ultra-straight brother-in-law commented to me that he thought Tebow was gay after having seen one interview with him, not knowing anything else about him.”

What does ‘ultra-straight’ mean, exactly?

Also, someone being able to intuitively determine whether someone else is gay doesn’t do much for your manifesto against stereotypical homosexuals.

“So, no, I cannot “prove” it, but you cannot “prove” anything about anyone’s sexuality, short of having direct access to their bedroom and their inner life, which is, of course, impossible….”

And yet, you make repeated assumptions about the inner lives of other gay people.

42. Rick says

@Nat You said: “Damage is done when we repress something fundamental”….and I agree.

The problem is that gay men who have been so deeply damaged in this way have come to think that their effeminate behavior comes naturally, when, in fact, it is just an affectation, and one that damages their self-esteem and prevents them from being respected by society.

It is a vicious cycle that needs to be broken, but it can only be broken via a conscious effort, the first step in which is to see the problem for what it really is. But instead of that, much of what I see on this board is just a digging in of the heels that will only make matters worse over the long run.

43. says

How about you provide us all with the URL to your own page, blog or whatever, so you can show us all what a shining example of and Out and Proud Masculine Gay Man you are.

what’s that? you can’t? You’re still Closeted at work? typical

😉

44. says

RICK, you keep making yourself look like a fool. Newsflash – your dadn’t hate you because you’re gay, he hated you because you’re such a complete wimp about it.

the only person who thinks that homosexuality and “masculinity” are imcompatible is YOU – your obsessed with “not being femme” is the most unmasculine insecure and wimpy mindset ever.

you’re a complete coward dude. you’re a boy whose balls never dropped because you’re too busy hoping daddy won’t think you take it up the ass. you do. he knows it. hating guys who your bigot father deems “femme” won’t make him any less ashamed to call you Son.

45. Nat says

“And the damage that society does to some gay men and that gay men, in turn, obligingly do to themselves and each other, is to cause them to repress their natural masculinity and artificially behave like women because the culture is unwilling to accept the idea that homosexuality and masculinity are not only compatible, but natural expressions of each other.”

I don’t even know where to begin.

a) You can’t define what ‘natural masculinity’ is and claim it is immutable. It is not. The essence of masculinity changes, just as the essence of femininity changes. They are both constructs based on sexual difference that have been magnified by our culture. You have no – none, zero, nada – basis for arguing that males are born with an innate interest in specific cultural activities.

b) You’ve repeatedly contradicted yourself. You’re unwilling to assert what Tebow’s ‘inner life’ might entail, yet you’re perfectly willing to make broad-based assertions about millions of gay men who don’t conform to what you want to see in a man.

c) And the worst part is your vision of masculinity is the kind of thing they parodied on Married with Children. It’s intolerant of difference, crude, and simplistic. It prioritizes activities above character, and tribalism over cosmopolitanism.

46. endo says

Tebow is insane. (like all people who believe in a magical fairy man that lives in the sky)

But we have Rick. It’s sort of a wash.

47. anon says

He might be of the mind that religion is a game/sport where you somehow rack up points or something. However, he reminds me of the way teenage girls swoon over pop stars. Emotionally immature? With his background, who would have thought so?

48. jakeinlove says

You know I’m not a fan of stiffing people’ profession of love their God. My only opposition is when there is an attempt to force me to believe or act as if I follow their God.

Leave Tebow alone.

49. Kev says

He’s not married! He is a 24yo “virgin” saving himself for marriage… (but with man on man victory kisses, maybe he is holding out for gay marriage to be legal in CO or FL to truly marry whom he chooses)

50. Rick says

“You can’t define what ‘natural masculinity’ is and claim it is immutable. It is not. The essence of masculinity changes, just as the essence of femininity changes. They are both constructs based on sexual difference that have been magnified by our culture. You have no – none, zero, nada – basis for arguing that males are born with an innate interest in specific cultural activities”

Totally, absolutely, 100% predictable response and totally, absolutely, 100% intellectually inaccurate.

Every society in the history of this planet has INDEPENDENTLY arrived at the same basic notions of masculinity and these core notions have not altered one iota over time. They link together the most primitive tribal groups and the most modern developed societies.

And they are based entirely in nature.

Educate yourself and you will find that boys are engaging in the kind of aggressive behavior that girls do not engage in by a very, very young age, before they have even had a chance to absorb complex cultural notions of masculinity. That is FACT, not opinion, but FACT. And it is driven by basic biology.

That masculinity can take different forms of expression in different cultures and even within a culture is besides the point. The point is that it is a basic characteristic of males in their natural state and is not a basic characteristic of females in their natural state, again for biological reasons.

The feminist notion that gender is a “construct” is nothing but an intellectual lie designed to allow women to gain power through social manipulation that they cannot gain through “natural selection”….and, by the way, if gender is a “construct”, then how do you defend your (supposed) emotional differentiation between the genders? And for that matter, your sexual orientation? Shouldn’t everyone be bisexual or asexual if gender is truly a “construct”?

Of course, the real contradiction is in the behavior of the very gay men who make this argument…..evidenced by their absolute worship of the masculine as a form of sexual gratification. You see, you cannot have your intellectual cake and eat it, too–talking about masculinity being a “construct” and then lusting after muscular jocks at the same time. You just look ridiculous for doing so.

51. says

RICK, provide us with the URL to your own person page/blog where you show us all what an upstanding, Out and Proud and VISIBLE gay presence you are as a “gay masculine man”

what’s the URL? Where’s your page where you personally show what a “masculine gay man” you are, and lead by example?

please share it. please show us all how you are specifically living as a Visible Gay and Masculine man in your every day life.

Link, please.

52. says

Ah yes, my favorite pastime. Watching you dippy queens scramble to accommodate the bizarre theatrics of somebody who subscribes to a religion that openly oppresses you – BUT because he’s a beefy bimbo…well that’s
    OK right? Why this non-story is posted here is beyond me – why you buffoons make excuses for Tebow is equally pathetic.

53. says

Whatevs, Timmeh. I implore you to go read Matthew 6:5-7 then follow Jesus’ advice as strictly as you follow Him. Now, STFU. Amen.

54. severus67@hotmail.com says

I for one think is right that Tin T-Bone is repressing his interracial homosexual desires…we do know that he loves kissing on black men.

as far as that masculinity garbage, rick needs to get a life.

55. kyle Michel Sullivan says

Tim needs to pay more attention to the teachings of Christ. Jesus says not to do that, specifically in Matthew 6:5-8 — “And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are; for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and at the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men…but thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy room, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father…” This is only a snippet of it, but it says, flat out, Little Timbo is NOT doing what the man he loves wants him to do.

56. TANK says

@STEVEN: The only “dippy queen” I see around here is you with your high school theological talking points. And the true buffoons at Towleroad are all the bitter, pathetic, middle-aged queens who spend way too much time bashing a hot, beefy, young stud like Tebow. You ain’t foolin’ no one, girlfriend: if you ever met Tebow in real life you’d be down on your knees in about five seconds and Tebow’s skin-tight, see-through white pants would be on the ground in about six seconds, along with that skimpy little jockstrap he fills so generously. Just keeping it real, honey!

57. codyj says

what about him kissing the black football player? his literal (interps) of that “black book”,should make a public display btwn two guys immoral?

58. SRB says

Ha! This reminds me of Michael Warner’s old essay about growing up pentecostal, “Jesus Was My First Boyfriend.” Rick, you’re no genius when it comes to either science or social science. You might want to pick up one of Warner’s books.

59. ophu says

I’ve no problem with his religion or the fact that he’s devout, or even the fact that he talks about Jesus all the time. He sounds like a rather boring conversationalist, though.

60. Derek Pearce says

Yes Tank, I for one sure would bang Tebow if he showed up at my door wearing that– though I’d prefer it if he just showed up in his football jockstrap. And I can’t stand all this Jesus BS he’s constantly spewing. So what? I see not contradiction between finding someone physically hot while being annoyed by their personality. It’s the way of the world– I’m sure you’ve gotten it on with dudes you haven’t been emotionally into. Unless you’re perfect?

61. GregV says

@CodyJ: On the contrary, Jesus greeted male friends with a kiss and spoke as if FAILING to doing so indicated a problem. He also never said a word on record against homosexuality.
    It’s important to note that nobody here has produced any comment from Tebow indicating his own sexual orientation or anything he said that was critical of homosexuality.
    My only problem with Tebow is that, in order to get a message out about a completely DIFFERENT topic, he allowed an anti-gay group to tack their logo onto the end of his message.
    Until I have any evidence to indicate otherwise, I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he MAY just be so naive that he thinks he won’t be associated with that hate group’s messages as a whole.
    At the same time, as long as he’s associated with a hate group without actively denouncing their ugly messages in any way, I’ll make the choice to actively stay away from his brand of underwear.

62. TANK says

@DEREKPEARCE, I must admit, my good man, that no, Tank is not perfect; that’s for sure. I will admit to drooling over guys with great bodies whose personalities and/or religious and political views turn me off. But as far as talking about who Tank has banged, well, a gentleman doesn’t kiss and tell. In sum, I think your point is well-taken. Your thoughtful comments are a nice change from the long-winded and nonsensical rants of some of the desperate, aging queens around here, I must say! Bravo!

63. Andrew says

Tebow should open up his Bible to Matthew 6:5-6. “When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.”

64. Charles Lemos says

So he is in love with a figment of his imagination. Religion remains the greatest hoax of all.

65. Stephen Pickard says

When I worked in the state psychiatric hospitals, we treated many schizophrenic patients just like this young man. I hope they put him on meds soon.

66. stranded says

These bible thumpers always amuse me. So they rather love an invisible creature instead of having the opportunity to love those around him who are physically there?

67. Danny says

Tank just revealed not only what a throwback he is but also how adolescent his eroticism is.

How many decades, now, Tank, have you been warming over the same cartoonish fantasies?

68. Danny says

To return to Tebow, has blarney about Jesus reveals nothing so much as sublimated unmet needs. Sounds like arrested development to me.

69. says

People talk about the Denver defense and how they deserve much credit. They … but the defense played so well as when Orton was under center. Tebow is a number, of course, is not impressive, but his presence, and only about their power has increased, that the defense plays, where they are one of the best in the league, because Tebow is taking over. whatever, we can get more info on http://www.tebowformvp.com/, thanx

70. Karen says

Matthew 10:37
    He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
    Find someone else to bash. Get over it! Yes, you are to love Jesus more than anything. Read the Bible. Jesus is coming back for his bride. The bride is the church. The church is the people. You better wake up!

71. Pathos says

“And Tebow’s also not just emotionally cheating on his wife, he’s cheating openly and often”

Ummmm … perhaps Michael David Smith should research before writing. Tim Tebow has never been married.

72. jack says

In my book, Tim Tebows HOTNESS gives him a pass on his childish eccentricities. And give Tank a pass because that is one hot fantasy!

73. Dan Cobb says

Who cares, really? I mean, so he thanks his god every time he wins, or whatever.
    Who cares? I like him none-the-less. He’s had some VERY lucky and spectacular games. This won’t last, and it sure is odd that this Jesus-freak has been ekeing out wins in such a “miraculous” way. Of course, it all produces fodder for the believes (who I think are delusional).

74. MaddM@ says

Football is a blood sport, it destroys the brain. Look at Ali with his parkinsons- and Tim with whatever he has going on with jesus. Welcome to the coliseum :b

75. MaddM@ says

76. DB says

Tank, you said “wearing only a black leather thong”. That is truly gross – no man should ever wear a thong.

77. Jerry6 says

So Tebow is a “Jesus Lover”. Let him be. It could be worse. He could be running for office on the Republican side. NOW THAT would be a real problem.

78. Jerry6 says

@ TANK Tebow isn’t the first (or the last) exhibitionist to say or do something outlandish just for added attention. For now, feel sorry for the kid; maybe he will outgrow it someday.

79. Kevin J says

Tebow is gifted, talented and a nice looking man. I’m not attracted to him but damn my gaydar goes off every time I hear him speak. Go figure.

80. Pez says

Replace the word “Jesus” with the word “Easter Bunny.” It makes the story even funnier but doesn’t change weirdness. :)

81. advocate says

considering that he is not proselytizing, i don’t see an issue at all. if we find it awkward, that’s OUR problem, not his.

also, considering that his peers have a reputation for bad behaviour (questionable at best, criminal at worst), are we seriously going to sit at our desks and beat up a man for his enthusiasm for his faith while we tolerate the philanderers, etc.?

82. Jerry6 says

If he wants to believe in someone for which there is no written or physical proof even existed, let him be. If he is happy let him. But do not ask me to waste my time watching him go through his act on the playing field.

83. John Richards says

I’m not a bigot, I don’t have a problem with Christianity per se. I’m even friends with a Christian. But I can’t stand it when they shove their Christianity down our throats and start demanding special rights. Can’t they just be Christians in private and not flaunt it?

84. darkmoonman says

tank:

“I assume you meant to say, ‘that spot has already been taken,’ …”

Please spend a more time studying English grammar. “that spot is already taken” is perfectly acceptable: “taken” is an adjective in this case. Try not to embarrass yourself publicly just because you can’t endure criticism.

85. cbhermey says

So does this mean that he fantasizes about Jesus when he’s being intimate with his wife?

86. Rob Zeleniak says

This guy is a bit obsessed. There is worship and reverence for one’s religion, properly positioned in one’s life. Then, there’s an obsessive compulsion to constantly address it. I question the motivation behind it. It has that characteristic quality of OCD hand washing. He needs to calm down.

87. CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON says

I AM NOT A TIM TEBOW FAN. HE CAN NOT PLAY, AS WELL AS, HE AND SOME PEOPLE THINK HE CAN. BEST WISHES, DENVER BRONCOS. A TEXANS’ FAN IS IN THE HOUSE!
    THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.
    CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

88. says

Thanks for posting this informative article. I haven’t any word to appreciate this post.Really i am impressed from this post. The person who creates this post it was a great human. Thanks for shared this with us.

89. miguel says

How boring. More self-inflicting wounds to the gay community by wackos spewing their everybody’s-a-homo conspiracy. The media whores created the Tebow phenom, so blame them. He wasn’t the first sportsplayer to drop to one knee on national television to give thanks to his maker. I’d have preferred if he just played football, and rack up some great stats; and not be some icon to the religious nutjobs.

90. Hollywood, CA says

Hallelujah, Tebow, you go’on and praise Jesus whenever and wherever you want to. if they don’t like it, they can not speak to you. People are so crazy… don’t restrict his religious freedom.

91. Kelly James says

At least when he’s broken down from playing football at 30 years old, roughly, he’ll be able to hobble up on stage and preach to his church congregation from his wheelchair.

92. bayhuntr says

I wonder how much nasty would be pouring out of Tebow’s supporters if an atheist player pushed their love of reason, empathy and secularism as much as this guy pushes his love of religion?

93. says

Speaking of “keeping it real”, doesn’t anybody else find it strange to love an imaginary being more than any actual, corporeal ones?

94. says

He’s probably just taking the New Living Translation of Luke 14:26 more literally than “less energetic” believers, “If you want to be my disciple, you must hate everyone else by comparison–your father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters–yes, even your own life. Otherwise, you cannot be my disciple.” We can only hope no one hands him a serpent.

95. Christopher Lines says

I’m not a sports fan but one thing I can add to this discussion is that Tebow’s evangelizing will start to alienate (if he hasn’t already) non religious Jets fans and non religious fans of football all together. Just as all of the American Taliban evangelicals have been alienating a large population of people, especially youth, from Christianity.

96. Icebloo says

He isn’t really that into religion he’s just smart enough to know that he can use it for attention and to increase his profile and earn him more money. It’s all fake. It’s very boring and very predictable. Let’s give him no more free publicity.

97. Oscar in Miami Beach says

I think to really make Tebow like Jesus,which is what he wants the most,he should be crucified.They say that copy is the highest form of compliment,so Tim Tebow should crucify himself in the name of Jesus,but he doesn’t love Jesus that much to do such a thing.It is all a frce nd a facade.

98. brian says

MATTHEW 6:5-6 5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.” Jesus thinks you are a hypocrite and a failure as a christian there, tebow. So do the world a favor and STFU and keep your delusions to yourself.

99. TROY N. HOUGHTALING SR says

Jesus Christ are lord comes first in all we do. The Bible says that we should always give him the glory and thanks for everything. For if it was not for the Lord Jesus we would have nothing including wife, child and football teams. Leave the guy alone he loves his lord and he shows it. Tim keep your faith, got your back on this one and on all the man kisses to.