American Family Association | Gay Marriage | News

BigGayDeal.com

AFA: Gay Marriage Opens Door to Marrying Cars, Buildings, Dogs

Busterwilson

The American Family Association's Buster Wilson has obviously been comparing notes with the CWA' Tamara Scott, who has been worried about same-sex marriage leading to people marrying the Eiffel Tower.

Said Wilson: "Polyamory, that’s gonna come out of it. We have talked about people who brought to the forefront their desire to marry—one guy had a desire to marry a building, another one a car, another one his dog. It’s just unbelievable, if you throw off the restraints and you say there’s no Christianity that’s going to guide how we look at this issue as a nation, then anything goes."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. It would be laughable if not so sinister and sick how he and his ilk preface their hate speech with, "I'm not homophobic and I don't hate gay people but.....".

I look forward to the day Mr. Buster Wilson is busted in a gay bathhouse.

Posted by: Joey Boots | Dec 2, 2011 12:23:00 PM

2. They've lost the argument and have moved on now to just being silly.

Posted by: sleepy bear | Dec 2, 2011 12:24:27 PM

3. One cannot marry someone who cannot legally contract. A child cannot sign a contract. A building, a car, a dog cannot either. He is a liar. Jesus hates liars. Enjoy hellfire, sinner!

Posted by: Paul | Dec 2, 2011 12:25:01 PM

4. Relevant portions of the Constitution and Federal law that destroy this guy's argument:

Article VI, Clause 2 - the "Supremacy Clause":

"This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the constitution or laws of any state to the contrary notwithstanding."

Article XI of The Treaty of Tripoli: Relevant portion

"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion"

Amendment 1 - the "Anti-establishment Clause":

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

All of his arguments are based SOLELY on an evangelical, fundamentalist Christianist interpretation of the bible. They have absolutely NO admissibility in regard to secular legal argument in the United States.

Posted by: Rich F. | Dec 2, 2011 12:28:47 PM

5. Yes, because cars, buildings and dogs are sentient and legally enter into binding contracts. And really, why marry your car when the tailpipe is free...

Posted by: Scott C. | Dec 2, 2011 12:31:32 PM

6. Church and State are separate in this country. This is not Iran, it is the United States of America. Stop trying to force your personal religious beliefs on everyone else; look into your own soul and work on that.

Posted by: trees | Dec 2, 2011 12:33:06 PM

7. To be fair, last time I was in Paris, the Eiffel Tower was giving me the eye. That minx.

Posted by: endo | Dec 2, 2011 12:34:35 PM

8. You guys are right, this argument is beyond ridiculous, but I hear it ALL THE TiME.

Can a dog be a citizen? Can a dog pay taxes? Can a dog vote?

A gay person can. Stop comparing adult, tax paying CITIZENS to animals and objects, you hateful bigots.

Posted by: Strepsi | Dec 2, 2011 12:36:21 PM

9. It gets old, doesn't it? Especially when I get together with my friends and think about what a truly unremarkable (I hope that's the right word) group we are, that we'd be the object of this kind of stuff.

Posted by: Butch | Dec 2, 2011 12:38:47 PM

10. I really want to marry my Volvo.

Posted by: Ron | Dec 2, 2011 12:41:36 PM

11. First of all, this argument is ridiculous and holds no weight. How can a toaster sign a marriage license?

But lets say for instance that someone does want to marry their car... What harm is it doing to you and how is it any of your business!? Stop interfering with people's lives.

Posted by: BEAHBEAH | Dec 2, 2011 12:48:49 PM

12. I want a three-way with the Seagram's Building a Citroen!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 2, 2011 1:05:56 PM

13. to engage in this argument requires that we lower ourselves to the point where common sense and reason no longer have meaning. Why would we do that?

It should be of no surprise to anyone that those who appose equal rights for gays sound crazy as there is absolutely no logical argument whatsoever to be made against us and so, we are left with the idiots above.
    Laugh at them, feel sorry for them but argue with them? To what end I ask. if the argument they put forward makes sense to them, then they cannot be reasoned with.

Posted by: chad | Dec 2, 2011 1:15:26 PM

14. LOL ...This guy has obviously never been to Japan. There are people that marry blowup dolls, pillows and video game characters... full on ceremony and everything. If someone REALLY wants to marry their toaster, let them.

People marry people who are no more intelligent than inanimate objects all the time and nobody is making laws against that.

Posted by: Jason | Dec 2, 2011 1:49:09 PM

15. Marriage is so over-rated...I've been living in sin with my bread maker for over 12 years now and we couldn't be happier.

Posted by: Paul B. | Dec 2, 2011 2:02:10 PM

16. What about buddhists, hindus, sikhs, who don't believe in god but marry oustide the "christian" construct of marriage? What about islam? Under Sharia law, a man is permitted 4 wives at a time (polygamy). Why aren't they adressing that. Muslims believe in god after all. This only debunks the myth that same-sex marriage heralds polygamy, polyamory, bestiality and incest. Straights have been doing a great job of that for millenia and let's not forget their serial adultery of the Gingrich, Sanford, Giuliani, Edwards, Vitter, Hyde, Cain ilk in more recent times. Hypocrisy is alive and well especially in the GOP.

Posted by: Robert in NYC | Dec 2, 2011 2:22:48 PM

17. but this is the reality, folks - there are no logical, intelligent or rational arguments about keeping LGBT couples from being allowed to legally marry.

it's either stupid things like this, that make no sense whatsoever to sane rational and educated minds, or it's fears from folks like commenter "Mary" who believes that allowing gay couples to marry will lead to straight men choosing to have male lovers and not female ones because the only thing stopping more straight men from "choosing to be gay" is a culture of anti-gay prejudice.

in other words - the losing end is stupid beyond belief and they're proving it every day in every way.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 2, 2011 2:30:30 PM

18. Well then, I'm marrying me a Ferrari. But if I sell it, do I have to pay it alimony?

Posted by: Bart | Dec 2, 2011 2:44:45 PM

19. Rush Limbaugh was making fun of conservative Muslims today, talking about the justification of the ban on women driving in Saudi Arabia. Apparently, the top religious scholars in that country say the ban is justified because if it is lifted, within 10 years there will be no more virgins and a huge chunk of the population will turn gay. If only he'd do the same thing to the AFA we'd see some real fireworks on the right.

Posted by: anon | Dec 2, 2011 2:47:50 PM

20. @Bart - Make sure you get a pre-nup! If you get divorced, you'll still be able to drive it!

Posted by: MikeInSanJose | Dec 2, 2011 2:57:30 PM

21. Marrying a car. So, many jokes, so little time:

1) Not until Lawrence v. Texas could I use my stick shift as I wanted.
    2) My convertible can be top up or top down. I guess that's "versatile."
    3) Bridal shower or car wash?
    4) I thought my driver's license was also a marriage license. Darn.
    5) I would date a Hummer, but would I marry one?
    6) Used car lots versus gay bars. Discuss.
    7) I am registered with both the DMV and Tiffany's.
    8) Be safe. Always wear a condom and a seat belt.
    9) Rear view mirror. (Make up your own joke.)
    10) Suddenly, "parallel parking" sounds like a sexual position.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Dec 2, 2011 3:40:32 PM

22. Can't we all just agree that the term "marriage" only applies to humans over the age of consent?

Of course this is just a silly red herring, as usual.

Posted by: johnny | Dec 2, 2011 4:09:00 PM

23. By verbalizing their fantasies about polygamy, polyamory, bestiality and sex with buildings (things that have nothing to do with same sex relationships), these guys are revealing much more about themselves than they seem to realize.

Posted by: john patrick | Dec 2, 2011 4:37:10 PM

24. No they are no homophobic they are just stupid

Posted by: jaragon | Dec 2, 2011 5:35:06 PM

25. Only Christianity can save us from marrying buildings, dogs, and cars. Thank goodness Christ was crucified and ended all those Romans marrying the acropolis and chariots! Where would we be!?! I'd be half human, half aqueduct!

Posted by: SCollingsworth | Dec 2, 2011 7:21:53 PM