Florida | Michigan | Religion

Lowe's Pulls Ads From 'All-American Muslim' After Christianist Complaints

ThisIsAMuslim
The woman pictured above is one of the Muslims featured in the new TLC reality show, All-American Muslim. According to TLC:

All-American Muslim takes a look at life in Dearborn, Michigan--home to the largest mosque in the United States--through the lens of five Muslim American families. Each episode offers an intimate look at the customs and celebrations, misconceptions and conflicts these families face outside and within their own community.

Not all of the show's Muslims look like the woman above. Some wear the hijab. Some wear tee-shirts. One's a cop and wears a policeman's uniform. They're a pretty diverse bunch. At least, they seem diverse to this viewer.

Other viewers see things differently. The Florida Family Association. for example, looks at the show's cast and sees only "propaganda that riskily hides the Islamic agenda's clear and present danger to American liberties and traditional values." (Not incidentally, the Association's opinion of LGBTs is similar to that of most fundamentalist Muslims.) The Association has lately encouraged its supporters to contact the show's sponsors with complaints to that effect, and now Lowe's, the hardware retailer, has pulled its ads.

From The Hollywood Reporter:

On its Twitter feed, the home improvement retail company said Friday in response to a tweet: "We did not pull our ads based solely on the complaints or emails of any one group. It is never our intent to alienate anyone. Lowe’s values diversity of thought in everyone, including our employees and prospective customers."

A Lowe's spokeswoman later told The Hollywood Reporter: "We understand the program raised concerns, complaints or issues from multiple sides of the viewer spectrum, which we found after doing research of news articles and blogs covering the show. We based our decision to pull the advertising on this research and after hearing the concerns we received through emails, calls, through social media and in news reports."

You can see a trailer for All American Muslim AFTER THE JUMP. If that's a cover for radical Islamism, then The Cosby Show was a beard for the Black Panthers, and 7th Heaven was a Trojan horse for the Phelpses.

Comments

1. 1. I applaud and support Lowe's decision to not support a religion that supports the execution of gays, demoralization of women and children, and promotes slavery.

2. I thought that TOWLEROAD was a GAY blog not a PRO-ISLAMISTS blog. Just saying.

Posted by: Jose S. | Dec 10, 2011 3:13:22 PM

2. The christians would be just as happy to see you swinging from a noose, Jose.

Posted by: KM | Dec 10, 2011 3:24:40 PM

3. You beat me to it KM. Totally agree!

Posted by: Gigi | Dec 10, 2011 3:27:47 PM

4. Hmmm, so much for religious freedom. I guess only Christians are allowed to blanket the nation with propaganda.

Posted by: LiamB | Dec 10, 2011 3:29:25 PM

5. There are plenty of racist, misogynistic, classist, xenophobic idiots posting on TW proving that there is no monolithic "gay" "left leaning" community.

Posted by: QJ201 | Dec 10, 2011 3:32:57 PM

6. No one in the LGBT should be shopping at Lowe's anyway.

Lowe's HRC Corporate Equality Score: 30
    Home Depot's score: 85

Home Depot has consistently resisted pressure from hate groups.

Lowe's just gives in.

Posted by: Ronster | Dec 10, 2011 3:34:03 PM

7. remember, folks - "Islam" is not the reason that millions of LGBT Americans remain firmly in the Closet....just sayin'...

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 10, 2011 3:38:10 PM

8. Ditto what KM, RONSTER, et al. said. Lowes is a big contributor to republicans, Home Depot not so much.

While I'm an avowed atheist who thinks religion and god are all bunk, I staunchly defend people's right to think and believe for themselves. As long as you keep your religion for yourself, go ahead, delude yourself with fairytales. OTOH, I do appreciate the interesting cultures that groups bring to the table, viz. Qawwali, gospel music, etc.

Posted by: David R. | Dec 10, 2011 3:40:02 PM

9. @ JOSE S: Do you have any idea that Islam is not one thing? Just as there is the xian MCC and Catholic devil-worshiper Maledict, there are fun/peace-loving Muslims the world over.

Get over your arrogance and ignorance.

Posted by: David R. | Dec 10, 2011 3:41:23 PM

10. Christian Taliban scores another victory-
    hurrah for Umerica

Posted by: nick | Dec 10, 2011 3:46:13 PM

11. Disgusting move Lowes

Posted by: Jeff | Dec 10, 2011 3:55:36 PM

12. "...multiple sides of the viewer spectrum"

I'm going to guess only one side - the xenophobic one.

Posted by: Craig | Dec 10, 2011 4:00:51 PM

13. "The christians would be just as happy to see you swinging from a noose, Jose."

Oh really... So then my sister, parents, they all want to kill me? Okay.. LOL (they are all christians who support gay marriage)...

You can always show me something that supports your claim any time you want.

Posted by: Jose S. | Dec 10, 2011 4:06:06 PM

14. "@ JOSE S: Do you have any idea that Islam is not one thing? Just as there is the xian MCC and Catholic devil-worshiper Maledict, there are fun/peace-loving Muslims the world over.

Get over your arrogance and ignorance."

These 'peace loving muslims' (which I think only exist in your mind) are fully welcome to TOWLEROAD and explain themselves, and tell us exactly what Islamic law says. I think such a person should have some form of authority on the subject (like an imam) and tell us straight out if homosexuality is permissible and if not what is the punishment. And I don't think some hippie liberal movie star wanna-be would cut it. either.

I have already studied this subject through and through with Islamist scholars, Imams, and quran students and historians. They all say the same thing: homosexuality is wrong, punishment: DEATH.

Now, if you can present evidence that there is 'controversy' or some debate going on (like in christianity, hinduism, or judaism) on the subject between imams and scholars then you have me... but for now until such a time comes when these imams and scholars actually start debating the subject I ain't holding my breath.

And of course what I don't get is why is it okay to bash christianity and not islam being that they are both dysfunctional in this area... seems to me that some of us want our cake and eat it too.

Posted by: Jose S. | Dec 10, 2011 4:17:12 PM

15. "No one in the LGBT should be shopping at Lowe's anyway.

Lowe's HRC Corporate Equality Score: 30
    Home Depot's score: 85

Home Depot has consistently resisted pressure from hate groups.

Lowe's just gives in."

I don't shop in any big box store... in fact any sane person regardless of sexuality or religion should consider NOT shopping in any box chain store and instead support local businesses and shops.

And I don't think HRC has any authority over this being that they receive MASSIVE donations from these same corporations that have the good ratings.

Posted by: Jose S. | Dec 10, 2011 4:22:22 PM

16. @Jose. I'm pagan, some of my best friends, gay and straight, are Muslim. What's your point? There are extremeists in all religions. Christian terrorists are no better than Muslim terrorists. Get off your high horse for thinking that christians are better than anyone else. They aren't!

Posted by: Randy | Dec 10, 2011 4:23:54 PM

17. Here is the number for Lowe's: 1-800-445-6937. Give them a call and tell them that they are wrong for pulling their advertisement from this show because the Anti-American "Christian" Fascists have no respect for the Constitution, American Freedom, Human Rights, & Civil Rights. There are nearly 800 million Muslims, in all ranges of liberal & conservative. It is nice to know that in this economy Lowe's business is doing so well that they could easily give up 800 million customers. I told them that I will not be shopping at their Fascist store and I will take ALL of my business to Home Depot from now on.

Posted by: RMc | Dec 10, 2011 4:25:54 PM

18. Muslims are the scum of the earth just slightly more respectable then the cult of Cathelolisism.

Posted by: Kevin thor | Dec 10, 2011 4:31:38 PM

19. I love how there are ads all over this site right now for Lowe's.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Dec 10, 2011 4:31:54 PM

20. I think this show alienated all other religions from the get go. If we have an 'all american muslim' show....why wouldn't we have and 'all american catholic', 'all american christian', all american hindu', 'all american jew,' 'all american buddist', 'all american mormon', 'all american wiccan'.....and so on and so on and so on.

Why did TLC alienate all these other religions? And how come no one is making noise about this BS?

Posted by: Brisier | Dec 10, 2011 4:33:38 PM

21. TLC was wrong in making this show from the get go.

Posted by: Brisier | Dec 10, 2011 4:34:59 PM

22. Nearly 8 million Muslims, in all ranges.... not "800".... apologies... ; )

Posted by: RMc | Dec 10, 2011 4:37:23 PM

23. That does it, I'm boycotting Lowe's, now.

Posted by: thomas mc | Dec 10, 2011 4:50:50 PM

24. @KEVIN Why are you here?

Posted by: Gigi | Dec 10, 2011 4:53:49 PM

25. Jose is what you call "part of the problem."

Posted by: Danny | Dec 10, 2011 5:17:27 PM