"Ex-Gays" | 2012 Election | Bill O'Reilly | Gay Parents | Michelle Bachmann | News

Bill O'Reilly Rips Mother of Child 'Activist' Who Confronted Bachmann: VIDEO

Oreilly

Bill O'Reilly yelled at gay activist Sally Kohn about 8-year-old "activist Elijah" and his statement to Michele Bachmann about his gay mom.

"This is cowardly. She's hidin' behind this kid!...I don't think people like children being injected into controversies that are far beyond their understanding...An eight-year-old doesn't know what homosexuality is, nor should he or she!"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

You may have missed...
Glenn Beck Asks Bachmann About 'Activist Elijah', Whose Mom Doesn't Need Fixing: VIDEO [tr]

Comments

1. I think it's O'Reilly that lives in a vacuum.

Posted by: oliver | Dec 8, 2011 12:36:10 PM

2. For once in my life I agree with Bill. The video is truly awful and shows a scared little boy who clearly was coerced into doing something he was uncomfortable with.

That video is one of greatest assets the likes of NOM and Family Research Council have received all year. They'll be using it over and over in their attempt to underscore what they see as a gay "agenda" to indocrinate children.

Shame on this mother.

Posted by: Rob | Dec 8, 2011 12:43:17 PM

3. those of you agreeing with him have taken the bait. which is sad.

stop, and reconsider all of this for a moment. ALL CHILDREN are already involved in queer politics, whether YOU know it or not. They are. All gay children are, and all non-gay children are - they're utterly involved and AFFECTED by how grown adults in this country react to and talk about LGBT people.

i know so many young kids who are fully aware of an LGBT parent. sibling. aunt/uncle. friend. relative. the kids are fine .the kids get it. the kids accept it. the only trouble comes from third-parties who harbour bigotry.

i knew i was gay at age 8. i also hated it in myself. why? simple - trickle-down gay politics.

conservatives are angry because this points out what they don't want to acknowledge - that children are negatively affected by anti-gay bigotry, not LGBT Equality. they want to continue to make it seem as if "Gay" is just something that involved grown adult white males in tight tee shirts in big cities. not mothers. not fathers. not children. not families.

those of you who think this "made us look bad" are utterly brainwashed by the Culture of Fear that is America. THIS is why your country is taking forever to embrace LGBT Equality - you're so scared of what bigots will think that it's stopped you from growing a spine and fighting bigotry head on.

CHILDREN are affected by lgbt bigotry and discrimination. and you're all more angry at this lesbian mother than the country and culture of prejudice that is killing our young brothers and sisters.

wise up, folks. this mother is not the enemy.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 8, 2011 12:50:56 PM

4. Thank you LITTLE KIWI! My little 7 year old doesn't live in a vacuum and sometimes needs to be prodded to say what HE wants to say.

Posted by: David R. | Dec 8, 2011 1:00:37 PM

5. Children ARE affected negatively by how their parents are treated. It's the fallout from Minority Stress (a term used in legitmate, peer-reviewed research literature). Children are aware of prejudice against their parents. They don't like seeing their parents treated badly. To think that they are unaware is ridiculous. By the logic of these people, a child of color would have no business being at a civil rights demonstration. A child would have no place at an anti-war demonstration, nor should videos of children being surprised by returning armed services parents ever be shown, because what would a child know about war, or the hardships caused by it?

The problem here is any sort of expectation that an a**hat like either Bachmann or O'Reilly would get that. The mother could have said what the child said, and these people would still say that being gay and a parent are mutually exclusive concepts. To think that by "playing nice" with these one will make headway is overly-optimistic, if not down-right delusional. Despite all of the "save the children" rhetoric, what they do, through their ignorance and bigotry, hurts children.

Posted by: TJ | Dec 8, 2011 2:38:40 PM

6. I remember back in the early 90's Operation Rescue would place kids in front of cars entering Dr. Tiller's Clinic in Wichita, KS. I guess that is different then since it was a conservative cause. Can we say hypocrit?

Posted by: Jim | Dec 8, 2011 2:55:57 PM

7. I don't understand how Bill, a Catholic, can be angry about this.

The Catholic Church indoctrinates children, at age EIGHT, with their bogus First Communion rituals.

Eight year old children are told of the world of SINS they've committed and need to "confess" in order to receive the sacrament and save their immortal souls.

At age eight. EIGHT. 8. the same age as the boy in this video.

why is THAT allowed, Bill?

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 8, 2011 3:03:43 PM

8. Does anyone recall the "Yes on 8" campaign's "Two Princes" ad? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PgjcgqFYP4 When it's to their advantage, they're all about using children to further their goals.

Posted by: Chris | Dec 8, 2011 3:35:35 PM

9. It's bizarre that O'Reilly objects to any of this: conservatives (the more conservative the worse) actively brainwash their children with religious schools and weekly brainwashing sessions (usually on Sunday). They're little different than Hamas 'training' their 2 year olds. It's massively hypocritical for the man to be saying anything on the topic.

Posted by: Tarc | Dec 8, 2011 4:53:17 PM

10. Little Kiwi: I couldn't have said it better. Thumbs up!

Meanwhile, weren't children used in the PropH8 ads?

Posted by: FunMe | Dec 8, 2011 5:41:35 PM

11. @KIWI...whoever you are...thank you!!!
    You said a mouthful, said it clearly and said it correctly. Ditto, ditto ditto.
    Lisa G on the other hand, back on our board to stir the pot. She/He is consistently on on the wrong side of the issue...no surprise. I've raised two kids...both knew gay, knew bigotry, knew discrimination and knew parental love. Both would have been proud to do what this little guy did...without any coaxing from me. What this kid did was put a mirror up to bachmann's face and she didn't like what she
    saw. BOR saw the same thing and reacted just the same way...no surprise there. Two pigs in the trough!

Posted by: Paul B. | Dec 8, 2011 9:09:05 PM

12. Like Little Kiwi, I knew I was gay when I was 8 (well before that, actually), and I'm sure I understood homosexuality at that age better than O'Reilly understands it even now.
    I was also keenly aware of MANY social issues going on in the world. I read the newspapers as a kid, and I paid attention to every word any politician or televangelist said about homosexuality. It made me very upset at that age that they had such a lack of empathy.
    I dreamed of a day when I would have exactly the same rights that everyone else had.
    Granted, I was precocious (like a disproportionate number of gay kids are, I think).
    My brother's kid asked him in kindergarten what gay means, and he said it's a man who falls in love with a man or a woman who falls in love with a woman. The reason she had asked is that she had already heard prejudice expressed against gay people, and she had wondered what that was about. It did not take more than a few seconds for her to understand the concept, nor should it be for any kid who's old enough to have developed any degree of intelligence.

But for O'Reilly to proclaim that no 8-year-old exists who knows what homosexuality is is just flat-out WRONG.

Posted by: GregV | Dec 8, 2011 10:17:52 PM

13. This gay lifelong liberal democrat says that Bill O'Reilly is absolutely correct in blasting the lesbian mom for using her 8 year old son in this political stunt. Just because she is gay and was trying to make Bachmann look bad doesn't make it O.K.This foolish mommy made Bachmann look like the sympathetic figure in this scene.

Posted by: jack | Dec 9, 2011 12:32:21 AM

14. @Jack: It LOOKS like the mom is prodding him into this, which does, indeed look like it's unhelpful to us. But some commenters said yesterday that the mother had said afterward that the kid had asked her to let him go have his say and that she was just encouraging him to do what he said he wanted to do.
    O'Reilly is making assumptions here (as he tends to do) without really doing any homework to find out.
    I could agree with O'Reilly that a mother shouldn't prod a kid into making political statements he doesn't understand (IF that's what happened, but, unlike him, I don't make assumptions when I don't know).
    My issue with O'Reilly is that his reasoning for making this assumption in the first place (that an 8-year-old is always incapable of understanding what a same-sex couple is) is very, VERY clearly dead wrong.
    Like many others, I know that he is wrong, without ANY doubt, from my own childhood experience which contradicts his claims.

Posted by: GregV | Dec 9, 2011 12:50:54 AM

15. Anyone who thinks this is the way to make a political point is sick. To prostitute your 8 year old son so you can video it and hopefully score some points with the wack jobs that agree with you is very sad. I have noticed that this piece of trailer trash did not bother to give her own name nor has she come forward to take the heat and explain her actions. I hope one day that her son refuses to have anything to do with her and she dies bitter and alone.

Posted by: Nole | Dec 9, 2011 11:29:15 AM

16. Nole, you're a worm.

Know this - this son will grow up with a better and more loving relationship with his parents than you do with your own.

You want her to die bitter and alone? Too bad, she won't. You, however, very well may.

What yuo are doing, Nole and others, is drinking poison and waiting for other people to die from it.

newsflash - they aint.