Rick Santorum Challenged on Same-Sex Marriage in Iowa

Rick Santorum was challenged by a 23-year-old alum on how same-sex marriage would “be a hit to faith and family in America" at a campaign event at Dordt College, a small Christian college in Sioux City, ABC News reports:

Rick_santorumSantorum then said that if same sex marriage was legalized then “their sexual activity” would be seen as “equal” to heterosexual relationships and it would be taught in schools.

“Really- wow- um okay, well let’s see if we can have a discussion. We can flesh out some, well, let’s look at what’s going to be taught in our schools because now we have same sex couples being the same and their sexual activity being seen as equal and being affirmed by society as heterosexual couples and their activity,” Santorum said.

“So what is going to be taught to our people in health class in our schools? What is going to be taught to our children about who in our stories, even to little children — what are married couples? What families look like in America? So, you are going to have in our curriculum spread throughout our curriculum worldview that is fundamentally different than what is taught in schools today? Is that not a consequence of gay marriage?” he GOP hopeful asked.

Kornelis said he still did not agree, to which the candidate responded, “I think you’re wrong — okay, in fact you have to know you’re wrong, because if we say legally if this type of relationship is identical to other type relationships than of course more of it will be taught because this is what the law says.”

Rick Santorum Has Tense Exchange on Gay Rights and Health Care in Iowa [abc news]

Comments

1. Sean in Dallas says

Huh?

He’s living proof there is no succinct, logical reason to campaign against gays.

“Uh, families, teaching, children”–is this the best this man, whose entire life is devoted to vilifying the gays, can come up with?

2. says

mark my word – rick santorum will bury one of his own children.

now, i’m not saying i want this to happen (because i don’t) but that it WILL happen. it will. rick santorum will bury one of his own children.

his hatred and his bigotry are responsible for the deaths of many lgbt youths in america. and it be responsible for the loss of at least one of his children. it’s awful.

3. says

has anyone else noticed that the “new” argument against LGBT Marriage and general LGBT Equality is that without a culture of anti-gay prejudice and bigotry heterosexuality will cease to exist?

Ricky seems to be saying that. A regular commenter named “Mary” believes it (but she also thinks Jews go to Hell when they die, so she’s an idiot who should be ignored…), but it’s becoming popular amongst politicians…and they don’t seem to realize it.

Santorum seems to be saying that the only thing keeping straight people from being gay is that gay people are discriminated against.

….that without prejudice against gay people there will be no reason for straight people to be straight.

wow….their sex lives must be REALLY lousy, eh?

4. Fahd says

I just can’t get over that the guy who owns Urban Outfitters is Santorum’s biggest financial supporter.

Santorum is a sanctimonius buffoon, and wiser people should do what they can to see him defeated politically. Thank goodness he lost his bid for reelection to the Senate.

He deserves his google infamy.

5. Paul R says

@Little Kiwi: That’s hardly new. For decades politicians and religious people have been warning against the “temptation” to sin by engaging in gay sex. (There’s a reason it’s called the forbidden fruit, and why “fruit” is an old-time insult for gays.)

To hear some of them talk about it, gay sex is the hottest, most incredible thing in the world. So it MUST be avoided, denied, and bashed! Oh, and missionary position only with the hetero side of things, please.

I’ve also had a lot of (genuinely) straight friends express envy of out gays. Fewer social and cultural constraints, a more interesting life (more disposable income, travel, sleep, etc.), no family expectations of marriage and kids, and (from guys at least) the wish that they could get laid as easily. (And for the record, I don’t sleep around—but obviously, plenty of gay guys do.)

6. Jeremy says

“Really- wow- um okay, well let’s see if we can have a discussion. We can flesh out some, well, let’s look at what’s going to be taught in our schools because now we have interracial couples being the same and their sexual activity being seen as equal and being affirmed by society as homogenous couples and their activity,” Santorum said.

“So what is going to be taught to our people in health class in our schools? What is going to be taught to our children about who in our stories, even to little children — what are married couples? What families look like in America? So, you are going to have in our curriculum spread throughout our curriculum worldview that is fundamentally different than what is taught in schools today? Is that not a consequence of interracial marriage?” he GOP hopeful asked.

If you replace a few words. It’s like listening to someone from the 1950s. When will this circus end.

7. Jeff says

“…because now we have same sex couples being the same and their sexual activity being seen as equal and being affirmed by society as heterosexual couples and their activity,” Santorum said”

Poor old frothy. Ten to one his wife uses a strap-on on him regularly. And that’s probably why he thinks that marriage = sex, rather than love, honour, commitment, etc.

8. Gay American says

­Santorum is “One Dead Gay Male Hooker” found in his Motel room…awa­y from the Looney Bin! He has some REAL ISSUES!..and sadly he has 7 kids. and statistica­lly…the MORE Children you have – the MORE Chance there IS…that YOU WILL have 1,maybe 2 gay children..­……so, in all this Anti-Gay BS Santorum spews..he could actually be Contributi­ng to the Future Suicide, and or Therapy that 1 or 2 of his kids will SUFFER from.

9. Robert in NYC says

I never knew heterosexual marriage was on any school curriculum, so why would he think legalizing same-sex marriage would require it to be in any syllabus? The man is a moron. Obviously he’s not aware that many married hetero couples engage in anal sex, hardly gay behavior. Why doesn’t someone ask him to condemn that for a change? Oh I forgot, it’s because it’s between a man and a woman, so it’s ok, regardless of what they do in bed.

10. Craig says

DRH, my sarcasm apparently didn’t transmit through the tubes very well. I’m not behind, just reminding people. And with Santorum, the joke will never get old so long as he remains a Fred Phelps-esque mentally unstable bigot on homosexuality…which means forever.

11. Rick says

I have to admit that when I looked at that photo–mouth perfectly curled, my immediate, involuntary thought was “Man, I would like to get a blow job from that guy.” LOL.

12. BobN says

Would somebody somewhere please ask this moron what he means when he says “teach homosexuality”?

Six years of Catholic education about family and marriage, and not once did any of my teachers talk about the mechanics of heterosexual sex.

13. anon says

He comes from the Catholic (not Baptist mind you) section of PA that is culturally stuck in the 1950’s on many issues. He doesn’t realize that a) A Catholic can’t win the Republican party nomination and b) the 2012 election is mostly about the economy and jobs.

14. Mary says

Kiwi, if I’m such an “idiot” why do you keep mentioning me? Obviously I left an impression on you. You may find me perplexing, but you probably don’t hate me as much as you imagine. As for me I actually feel a sort of platonic affection for you as the gay son I never had!

Paul’s comments only confirm what I’m trying to prove – there are indeed aspects of gay life that straight people may find attractive. And here is my view, made as specific as possible. It MAY be that a SIGNIFICANT percentage of society are kept from “being gay” (in lifestyle, that is) only by society’s overwhelming preference for straight life. This preference has historically involved homophobia (as the term was originally defined.) Assuming we could keep this “societal preference” for heterosexuality and grant gay people complete equality I’d be all for it. But we can’t. We can, however, reduce outright hostility against gays and UNNECESSARY discrimination againstt them (i.e. job and housing discrimination). I would decide “gay rights” questions on a case by case basis.

It’s like police bruality, which no one supports. We don’t eliminate the police department to get rid of police brutality. We try to reduce beaurocratic red tape, but we don’t call for the elimination of all beaurocracy, etc……

Incidentally, if it seems as if I worry only about the stability of straight people and not of gay people this is not because I don’t acknowledge the humanity of gays or think that straights are somehow more entitled to happiness. It’s that there are far more straight people than gay people, so whether straights have stable lives has a much greater effect on society as a whole. If the numbers were reversed, and homosexuality was numerically dominant, social policy would have to give more weight to the stability of gays and how this would affect society.

Also, I’m aware that there are many gay people in loving commited relationships, whether married or not. I respect these individuals and commend them for their monogamous lives and the work that many of them do in rearing children. Being on Towleroad has made me more aware of this segment of the gay community and how absent they have been historically from the image most straights have of gays.

15. Mark says

Mind you all, I am from Kansas. Even here, there is not a single person I’ve spoken to who finds Santorum’s views relevant to anything or who takes them seriously in any way, shape, or form.

Every time the subject of Santorum comes up, all people can think of is that his views are good for entertainment, and nothing else. End of story!