2012 Election | Gay Marriage | Iowa | Rick Santorum

Rick Santorum Challenged on Same-Sex Marriage in Iowa

Rick Santorum was challenged by a 23-year-old alum on how same-sex marriage would “be a hit to faith and family in America" at a campaign event at Dordt College, a small Christian college in Sioux City, ABC News reports:

Rick_santorumSantorum then said that if same sex marriage was legalized then “their sexual activity” would be seen as “equal” to heterosexual relationships and it would be taught in schools.

“Really- wow- um okay, well let’s see if we can have a discussion. We can flesh out some, well, let’s look at what’s going to be taught in our schools because now we have same sex couples being the same and their sexual activity being seen as equal and being affirmed by society as heterosexual couples and their activity,” Santorum said.

“So what is going to be taught to our people in health class in our schools? What is going to be taught to our children about who in our stories, even to little children — what are married couples? What families look like in America? So, you are going to have in our curriculum spread throughout our curriculum worldview that is fundamentally different than what is taught in schools today? Is that not a consequence of gay marriage?” he GOP hopeful asked.

Kornelis said he still did not agree, to which the candidate responded, “I think you’re wrong — okay, in fact you have to know you’re wrong, because if we say legally if this type of relationship is identical to other type relationships than of course more of it will be taught because this is what the law says.”

Rick Santorum Has Tense Exchange on Gay Rights and Health Care in Iowa [abc news]

Comments

1. He comes from the Catholic (not Baptist mind you) section of PA that is culturally stuck in the 1950's on many issues. He doesn't realize that a) A Catholic can't win the Republican party nomination and b) the 2012 election is mostly about the economy and jobs.

Posted by: anon | Dec 6, 2011 4:33:00 PM

2. Rick obviously wants to star giving blow jobs because he can't stop thinking about gay sex!

Posted by: jaragon | Dec 6, 2011 5:29:24 PM

3. That is a very good issue to talk about. Let us consider others feeling in discussing this.

Posted by: homes to let in Birmingham | Dec 6, 2011 6:01:27 PM

4. Kiwi, if I'm such an "idiot" why do you keep mentioning me? Obviously I left an impression on you. You may find me perplexing, but you probably don't hate me as much as you imagine. As for me I actually feel a sort of platonic affection for you as the gay son I never had!

Paul's comments only confirm what I'm trying to prove - there are indeed aspects of gay life that straight people may find attractive. And here is my view, made as specific as possible. It MAY be that a SIGNIFICANT percentage of society are kept from "being gay" (in lifestyle, that is) only by society's overwhelming preference for straight life. This preference has historically involved homophobia (as the term was originally defined.) Assuming we could keep this "societal preference" for heterosexuality and grant gay people complete equality I'd be all for it. But we can't. We can, however, reduce outright hostility against gays and UNNECESSARY discrimination againstt them (i.e. job and housing discrimination). I would decide "gay rights" questions on a case by case basis.

It's like police bruality, which no one supports. We don't eliminate the police department to get rid of police brutality. We try to reduce beaurocratic red tape, but we don't call for the elimination of all beaurocracy, etc......

Incidentally, if it seems as if I worry only about the stability of straight people and not of gay people this is not because I don't acknowledge the humanity of gays or think that straights are somehow more entitled to happiness. It's that there are far more straight people than gay people, so whether straights have stable lives has a much greater effect on society as a whole. If the numbers were reversed, and homosexuality was numerically dominant, social policy would have to give more weight to the stability of gays and how this would affect society.

Also, I'm aware that there are many gay people in loving commited relationships, whether married or not. I respect these individuals and commend them for their monogamous lives and the work that many of them do in rearing children. Being on Towleroad has made me more aware of this segment of the gay community and how absent they have been historically from the image most straights have of gays.

Posted by: Mary | Dec 6, 2011 7:52:43 PM

5. Mind you all, I am from Kansas. Even here, there is not a single person I've spoken to who finds Santorum's views relevant to anything or who takes them seriously in any way, shape, or form.

Every time the subject of Santorum comes up, all people can think of is that his views are good for entertainment, and nothing else. End of story!

Posted by: Mark | Dec 6, 2011 9:18:54 PM

6. I only wish there was video.

Posted by: James | Dec 7, 2011 5:33:57 PM

7. Dordt College is in Sioux CENTER, not Sioux City. Ugh...

Posted by: Chris | Dec 8, 2011 10:35:27 AM