Fire Island | News

Architectural Firm Behind 'High Line' and Lincoln Center Renovation to Redesign Fire Island Pines Pavilion

Fip_fire

An architectural firm has been chosen to redesign the Fire Island Pines Pavilion, which was gutted by fire in November, the NYT reports:

The selection of Diller Scofidio + Renfro, whose recent high-profile commissions include the the High Line and the redesign of Lincoln Center, was announced on Thursday by FIP Ventures — a partnership of Blesso Properties, Seth Weissman and Andrew Kirtzman — which owns 80 percent of the Fire Island Pines commercial district.

“The fire handed us an unexpected opportunity to create something far better than what was destroyed,” Mr. Weissman said in a news release. “We’re intent upon building something that will reflect the Pines’ reputation as a mecca of style.”...

...Charles Renfro, a partner in Diller Scofidio + Renfro who has spent several summers on Fire Island, said the designers are thinking in “broad strokes” about “heightening” the entire commercial district into something more theatrical.

“We’re rethinking it as the Theater of the Pines, a proper name,” he said. “It’s about the comings and goings, the glances, the meetings: all of those things that are particular to the Pines.”

In other words, drama.

Previously...
Blaze Destroys Pavilion, Other Structures at Fire Island Pines [tr]

Comments

1. I'm excited. Disney/Industry/Shiny Pines 2.0

Posted by: David in NYC | Jan 5, 2012 6:48:28 PM

2. Diller Scofidio + Renfro is a terrible choice for an architect. and Really? Fire Island as a "Mecca of Style"?????? More like Mecca of inflated egos.

Posted by: David | Jan 5, 2012 6:48:43 PM

3. Incredible choice! I love that they picked talented architects that know the Pines and respect its history. Very smart.

Posted by: Mark H | Jan 5, 2012 6:59:15 PM

4. VERY COOL! Isnt HWKN doing the MoMA PS 1 installation this year?

Posted by: Drew | Jan 5, 2012 7:05:29 PM

5. Less Marc Jacobs, More Jane Jacobs.

Am I the only one who thinks living in a theater is an icky idea? I mean, it was all "compare and despair" BEFORE the fire.

Posted by: patrick lehman | Jan 5, 2012 7:18:38 PM

6. "Mecca of Style"? I mean really....

Posted by: Brian | Jan 5, 2012 7:56:36 PM

7. I guess the 70's are finally over. Le sigh.

Posted by: scotsyank | Jan 5, 2012 8:14:07 PM

8. uh oh...this doesn't bode well for the 90 % of us who enjoy the laid back aspect of Fire Island...

Posted by: mark | Jan 5, 2012 8:30:30 PM

9. I am petrified of what they will come up with. The Pines is supposed to be a simole beach community, not a garish architectural statement!

I also hope they don't rush to get it done by the summer and thus cut corners that will have to stick for decades. I'd much prefer they take a whole year to rebuild, so the Pines doesn't have a nightclub next year, more house and pool parties for that summer, and then we can have something that actually lasts and hopefully everyone likes.

Posted by: Mike C. | Jan 5, 2012 8:34:12 PM

10. It's the beach for God sake, not Times Square! Save the drama for the house shares!

Posted by: Martin C. | Jan 5, 2012 9:41:15 PM

11. Love it! If they manager to do it with half the savvy-ness that created the High Line, it will be a great thing to see and a great place to escape to.

And the only proper response to a silly, pearls-clutching statement like "the Pines is supposed to be a simple beach community" is..."Oh, Mary, please!"

Posted by: JeffNYC | Jan 5, 2012 10:06:57 PM

12. See you at the Pavilion in summer '13! I'd like to see designs first before drawing conclusions. Just hoping they bring back some of the open "airness" of the old structure. High Tea was never as fun being all closed in.

Posted by: Brian | Jan 5, 2012 10:41:51 PM

13. A reputation as a "mecca of style?" Yeah... it has a reputation, alright, but definitely not for "style."

Posted by: TommyOC | Jan 5, 2012 11:57:19 PM

14. built in glory holes in all bathrooms? mirrors on ceilings? Grindr concession stand? manhunt profile pic workshops?

Posted by: V-8 | Jan 6, 2012 4:48:05 AM

15. This is AMAZING news! Anyone who has walked The High Line knows these guys are masters of contextual architecture. Throw in Lincoln Center and you can see how they use that skill to refresh and rethink a place without destroying it. Having someone who is intimately familiar with The Pines involved at the very top means we'll undoubtedly get something beautiful that the essence of the place. I couldn't be more excited by this development.

I'm sure everyone who saw 'mecca of style' immediately went to visions of stainless steel, runways, etc. I think his theory of 'theater of The Pines' is far more telling of what he's thinking - and utterly true of the place.

Posted by: MT | Jan 6, 2012 9:33:21 AM

16. @DAVID I agree 100%. Mecca of self-important, elitist, mostly-caucasian, drug-addled, sexually-irresponsible, and thoroughly over-rated catalog queens. Leave it to smolder as the symbol of decadence that it truly is. Then sprinkle the ground it sits upon with salt.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jan 6, 2012 9:37:56 AM

17. I will say, they've designed some *really cool* stuff. I've never been to Fire Island or really have any desire to go there, since I don't live in NY (then again, I have little desire to go back to P-Town and I live in MA, so take that for what it's worth), but I'd certainly be curious to see what they come up with.

Posted by: Ryan | Jan 6, 2012 9:44:05 AM

18. Oh dear.....
    It will be like Disneyworld.

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | Jan 6, 2012 10:42:56 AM

19. @JAMAL49
    Seriously though!
    Only a bunch of self important queens would think that their tacky little night club would be on par with something like the Highline project.
    The Highline was the product of MANY interests. It was not the architecture firm alone that made it the success that it is.
    One only needs to look at DS+R's built buildings to see that they design BAD buildings. The ICA in Boston is a good example of how bad these hacks are.

Posted by: David | Jan 6, 2012 3:12:08 PM