Afghanistan | Bullying | Military | News

Deployed Military in Bagram, Afghanistan Say 'It Gets Better': VIDEO

Bagram

Out Air Force service members SSGT Steven Procter, SSGT Shelise Harmon, AT2 Erin Jones, SPC James Velazquez, SPC Curtis Robinson speak to the "It Gets Better" project from their deployment in Bagram, Afghanistan.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Dear GOP and other haters,

Go ahead and denigrate....go right ahead....I dare you.

Bravo to these fine soldiers.

Posted by: AllBeefPatty | Jan 23, 2012 8:00:45 AM

2. Not just Air Force, but Army and Navy as well.

Posted by: Michael | Jan 23, 2012 8:01:42 AM

3. What on earth does "it gets better" mean? In my view, it's a marketing gimmick. It hasn't solved one gay bashing, it hasn't stopped gay bullying, and it hasn't stopped one suicide. It is a complete and utter waster of time.

The sooner we get rid of this travesty of a campaign, the better. It is total trash.

Posted by: jason | Jan 23, 2012 8:27:29 AM

4. Well, what we need now are videos from young teens saying 'It got better'. That is, showing that they've gotten over their problems as a result of these videos. There are plenty of 'coming out' videos on YouTube by young teens, but it's usually clear they had it easy.

Posted by: anon | Jan 23, 2012 8:55:03 AM

5. There should be more than this one program for kids but I wouldn't call the It Gets Better videos total trash. We do hear a lot about the gay kids that commit suicide but we don't hear about the majority of the kids that don't. Maybe these videos do inspire them. If you read the comments under the videos, there are a lot of them that says that it gives them hope. I can imagine this video will be good for gay youths interested in a military career.

Posted by: sara | Jan 23, 2012 9:27:11 AM

6. @Jason It IS a marketing gimmick; and a damned good one. You have no way of knowing how many kids this has helped. I don't know what your problem is but it is clear to me that you are not thinking clearly. I hope you have a chance to re-think your words.

My other reaction to your words (which I considered withholding out of simple civility) was STFU!!!! I don't usually respond that way, even to trolls, but sometimes one just has to say it. Sometimes civility just doesn't get-through.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Jan 23, 2012 9:28:41 AM

7. Alex, Jason is some kind of right wing plant, here to annoy...ignore him, he never has a positive word....

Posted by: John Normile | Jan 23, 2012 9:38:21 AM

8. Always looking at the positive Jason, that's the point

Posted by: George M | Jan 23, 2012 10:17:12 AM

9. It gets better, unless you're on the other side of those firearms.

Seriously, so many mixed feelings on this one

Posted by: Jesus | Jan 23, 2012 11:33:54 AM

10. The reference to "gender queer" was a fail. Stop telling gay kids that they are "queer" or that they are not really full members of their gender. Too bad that she had to infuse her political correctness into a video that is supposed to help gay teens.

Posted by: Deana | Jan 23, 2012 6:00:47 PM

11. Wow...since when is doing something positive and trying to be proactive a bad thing? If people do nothing there is blame, if people go out of there way to say "I am who I am and it's Ok", it's wrong too? So you tell me...where do we start? There are plenty of kids out there that don't know where to turn and feel like there life is over bc they are gay. They feel like society will hold them back and limit them bc of this hanging over their head. It's no wonder they are lead to feel hopeless and ponder suicide. And no..the people in the video didn't have it easy coming to terms with integrating this into their careers...in fact, it's a huge risk they are taking since this is all new territory. I'm proud they took the opportunity to do something worthwhile. I can remember the nights I wished I wouldn't wake up in the morning bc of how I felt about myself as a child. I wish I had positive role models advertising that things get better.

Posted by: Brian | Jan 24, 2012 8:53:12 PM