Italy | News

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Couple Describes Frightening Ordeal Aboard Sinking Costa Concordia Cruise Ship: VIDEO

Garcia_miller

Blake Miller and Steve Garcia, a gay couple from Texas, were traveling aboard the Costa Concordia cruise ship as it ran aground and sank over the weekend. Miller and Garcia, from Austin and San Antonio, respectively, were celebrating Garcia's 50th birthday and described chaos as the boat scraped the rocks before partially submerging on its side near Giglio, Italy.

Six people have died and 16 are still missing as rescue efforts have been suspended because of weather.

Miller and Garcia gave an emotional recount of the events to the Today show.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Concordia

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

1. This was the boat on which Godard shot is masterpiece "Film Socialisme"

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jan 16, 2012 10:26:55 AM

2. Let me guess, the Texas news describes them as "Friends"

Posted by: Cam | Jan 16, 2012 10:26:59 AM

3. At least one Texas news site, KXAN.com, did describe them as a couple. But I was more impressed that they revealed, "KXAN News contacted Governor Perry’s office asking what the state of Texas was doing to assist the shipwrecked Austinites but as of publishing time the governor's office had not responded."
    Shocking? Sadly, no.

Posted by: Ronny | Jan 16, 2012 12:12:32 PM

4. It was sad to hear the stress and pain in Blake Miller's voice as he told what happened. I hope they get home quickly and take time to rest from this ordeal.

Posted by: Angela Channing | Jan 16, 2012 12:27:03 PM

5. I do love that right under the video of this is an ad for a cruise. uhm, probably not the best way of put passengers in the boat.

Posted by: Bart | Jan 16, 2012 1:46:04 PM

6. I should think that being a gay couple in Texas would be a more profound ordeal than being on a sinking ship.

Posted by: E. Thor Carlson | Jan 16, 2012 4:56:37 PM

7. Blake Miller, a 50 year old adult man who weeps like a little girl. He wasn't injured and he didn't go in the water. He stepped onto a lifeboat and was deposited on a dock a few minutes later. And for that he gets all weepy like a gay stereotype. Thanks for making us look like wimps, a-hole.

Posted by: Jones | Jan 16, 2012 8:36:44 PM

8. Hey Jones, he was weeping for the people who were trapped, couldn't get, and most likely have since died. You are as thoroughly wretched and godawful a human being whom I've run across on the Internet.

Just sayin'

Posted by: Rick S. | Jan 16, 2012 10:44:08 PM

9. I worked on the sister ship of the Concordia, Costa Magica as a massage therapist 7 years ago. The company caters to an international clientele of passengers but fails to understand the different needs and services required of each nationalities. Drills can sometimes be delayed and chaotic. Best wishes to Blake and Steve.

Posted by: Yiu-Cheung | Jan 17, 2012 12:45:33 AM

10. JONES, gladly life will surprise you with an ugly life threatening experience. There is always one. But I’ve no doubt that you’ll be either a hysterical coward crying for your life or a piece of cr4p stomping over others just to save your miserable skin. In that moment no one will give a fxck about stereotypes. Whatever, it’s obvious that you don’t know what empathy is or what it is being among hundreds of chaotic and desperate people fighting each other to see who get saved. You are just concerned with don’t know what so über important stereotype when there was dead people in that boat.

Posted by: Yall | Jan 17, 2012 12:54:51 AM

11. Jones is awfully cold. If more men felt OK crying, the world would be a kinder place.

Posted by: rb | Jan 17, 2012 2:21:24 PM

12. I kinda agree with Jones. Although I empathize with their ordeal, after listening to the clip I was thinking to myself "Oh dear God" Man the F--K up.I've seen little boys handle tragedy with more dignity than that. When my 9 year old niece does that, I tell her to knock it off. BUT SHE'S 9! so she gets a pass. He's a full grown man. Not to be sexist, but back in the day it was women and children into the life boats first. After watching this guy? It'll read Women ,Children and homo's.

Posted by: Steve | Jan 17, 2012 2:50:39 PM

13. unless you are in this position as these two were,do not criticize them for being to emotional,that is so rude,I am happy they are safe as I am sure there familys are too.

Posted by: paul garcia | Jan 17, 2012 6:53:31 PM

14. Is amusing to read some people “writing” about being brave enough to criticize someone who was in a tragedy for being emotional. Not everyone has the same emotional output. And I understand that some people don’t give a f4ck when seeing others die. But I would love to see those quacks face a traumatic experience so we can see how steadily they behave just after the event. Sharing a tear is healthier than running amuck with a gun by the way.

Posted by: RealLife | Jan 17, 2012 7:05:05 PM

15. I was just on a cruise that left Houston, and we hadn't received baggage yet before we were rustled down for safety training right away. Must be different regs in the US.

Interestingly, a Silversea ad is on this page with a cruiseliner appearing about 50 feet off a rugged coast. You'd think 'Marketing' might have pulled that by now.

Posted by: kansastock | Jan 17, 2012 8:00:04 PM

16. I don't normally post on these things, but Jones's comment bugs me. Even though this guy wasn't personally injured, he was part of a traumatic event that involved chaos, screams -- including screams of some people who lost their lives. As you begin to cope with the gravity of what occurred, it is human to cry. It's a real immature and frankly inhumane view of "masculinity" to say that there is something wrong with crying when discussing this tragedy.

Posted by: Matt | Jan 18, 2012 9:12:18 AM