Awards | Film | News | Oscars

84th Annual Academy Award Nominations Handed Out: FULL LIST

Treeoflife

This morning, the nominations for the 84th Annual Academy Awards were handed out in Hollywood.

Nominated for Best Picture are The Artist, The Descendants, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, War Horse, Tree of Life (above), The Help, Hugo, Midnight in Paris, and Moneyball.

Check out the rest, AFTER THE JUMP...

And please leave your thoughts on the nominations in the comments.

Nominees

Comments

1. Well, if we were replicating the "Brokeback Mountain" scenario from 2006, the film that's won the overwhelming majority of awards coming into the ceremony and thus should be favored to win would be "The Artist." However, in 2006 the Academy voted for the worst-reviewed, lowest-grossing, most unfamiliar of the nominees, so if history repeated itself this year the top award would go to "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" (which also, interestingly, starred Sandra Bullock).

However, since there's no gay love story in "The Artist" to piss off Oscar voters and cause them to shoot their mouths off with blatant homophobia, it's probably going to win Best Picture, and "Hugo" will take Best Director, and everyone will gas on and on about how this year's awards are tributes to the history and magic of the movies, blah blah blah.

Then they'll all go back to counting their money from the "Ghost Rider" sequel and planning the next "Transformers" movie.

Posted by: Dback | Jan 24, 2012 9:18:11 AM

2. Yikes....I didn't see a single one of the nominees.

Posted by: Butch | Jan 24, 2012 9:29:56 AM

3. No Michael Fassbender?

Already lost interest.

Posted by: endo | Jan 24, 2012 9:30:54 AM

4. That's a whole lot of nominees. I preferred it when they narrowed them down to five.

Posted by: cranky1 | Jan 24, 2012 9:44:20 AM

5. Great post, I enjoyed ready reading it, Keep posting good stuff like this. thank u

Posted by: date older women | Jan 24, 2012 9:48:43 AM

6. I know @Date older women is one of those messages coming automatically from somewhere, but what a nick to his web site. lol.

Hopefully Gary Oldman gets his first and Meryl Streep her third.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jan 24, 2012 10:00:41 AM

7. No love for Young Adult? What a shame.

Posted by: Mike M. | Jan 24, 2012 10:13:34 AM

8. For me, since 'Crash' the Oscars are just another contest. Also, like many others, I haven't seen all of the nominees. Of the nominees I have seen, Hugo was my favorite. The adaptation from the book's illustrations & storyline to the screen is spot on, terrific performances from everyone, of course the direction (love the opening shot swooping down through Paris) and 3D used to add depth to an already eye-popping set. I thought it was a magical film.

In acting, two words: Demian Bichir. 'A Better Life' was my favorite film not nomimated and Bichir's performance was beautiful to watch.

I'm also pleased about nominations for Midnight in Paris, The Help, Christopher Plummer, Jessica Chastain and Melissa McCarthy.

To paraphrase, I rely on the kindness of screeners to round out my Oscar viewing so I'm looking forward to seeing a few more flicks. And 'The Artist' is playing at the Vista in L.A. so I hope to catch the film while it's there-a film about the 20's at a theater that was built during the same time-what a fun match-up.

Posted by: the only hank in l.a. | Jan 24, 2012 10:14:51 AM

9. i haven't been out much lately i guess. the only movie i've seen is 'the artist'. and i loved it! so i'll be voting for that in all the nominated categories!

Posted by: Joe | Jan 24, 2012 10:16:22 AM

10. haven't seen any of these movies

Posted by: Emmy | Jan 24, 2012 10:17:46 AM

11. Terrible year for american films. I cannot believe that EXTREMELY LOUD... got a nomination. HUGO is just not a great film. See the foreign language nominees for real filmmaking. Hollywood wonders why its box office is down $500M? Because Hollywood is dead.

Posted by: UWSGUY | Jan 24, 2012 10:21:12 AM

12. WTF??? NO TILDA SWINTON????? This is shameful!!!!

Posted by: Andrew | Jan 24, 2012 10:42:27 AM

13. As usual, I am more disappointed by who and what didn't get nominated than by those who did.
    Actors that should definately have been nominated: Michael Shannon, "Take Shelter"; Albert Brooks, "Drive"; Corey Stoll, "Midnight in Paris"; Patton Oswalt, "Young Adult"; Charlize Theron, "Young Adult"; Elizabeth Olsen (who has so much more talent than her famous twin sisters), "Martha Marcy May Marlene."
    Pictures as worthy as those nominated for Best Picture and/or Best Director: "Moneyball" directed by Bennet Miller; "Tinker, Tailor..." directed by Tomas Alfredson, "A Separation" directed by Asghar Farhadi (it did get nominations for Best Foreign Language Picture and Best Original Screenplay; "Young Adult" directed by Jason Reitman, and "The Interupters" directed by Steve James, which didn't even make the first cut for potential nominees in the Best Documentary category -- a major snub.
    I also was glad to see that Gary Oldman, "Tinker, Tailor..." made the cut, since his nomination wasn't considered a sure thing. Ditto for "Footnote," a great Israeli film nominated for Best Foreign Language Film.

Posted by: MichaelJ | Jan 24, 2012 11:56:49 AM

14. In 20 years, "Tree of Life" is the only movie people will be still be talking about and debating. It is a masterpiece...in the same way that great literature is not understood and appreciated by everyone.

Posted by: JoeInSF | Jan 24, 2012 12:20:38 PM

15. No Oscar love for Michael Fassbender (and his HUGE cock? What a SHAME! Seriously though, he was terrific in the film and I'm surprised he wasn't nominated. My picks for the major awards are:
    Film: The Artist Director: Alexander Payne Lead Actor: Brad Pitt Lead Actress: Viola Davis/Meryl Streep (tie) Supporting Actor: Jonah Hill Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer

Posted by: Ron | Jan 24, 2012 12:29:00 PM

16. LOL! Tree of Life is overwrought, pretentious tripe. It has a few interesting ideas and some amazing special effects... that all add up to very little. The only people talking about it in 20 years will be college kids tripping on Substance D (or whatever mind-altering substance science develops between now and then).

Posted by: endo | Jan 24, 2012 12:40:20 PM

17. i saw Tree of Life five times in the cinema. I hope it wins every single thing it's nominated for.

otherwise, this is a terribly dull year for nominees.

who knew? the actual Superbowl has the edge with men in tights and madonna and the Gay Superbowl looks like a snooze-fest.
    BOOOORING.

Tree of Life was a hugely important and singular work. Expect the same angry diatribes against it from the same type of people who furiously dislike "Mulholland Drive"

It's a film that reveals more and more with repeat viewings. not for all tastes. it's an ART film, folks.

Tree of Life will be talked about 100 years from now.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 24, 2012 12:51:01 PM

18. Surprised to see Margin Call in the list at all (original screenplay). Sad to see Margin Call not mentioned in any of the major categories! Amazing film, amazing performances (surprisingly nuanced, in the case of Demi Moore!). It debuted at Sundance--has it even had a general release yet? Sadly overlooked film with a cadre of incredible actors who obviously love their craft.

Posted by: jim | Jan 24, 2012 3:53:59 PM

19. The EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE, WAR HORSE, and HUGO got any nominations over films that got shut out, like Shame and Young Adult is beyond me. I am happy for "A Separation," Meryl Streep (who should definitely win her 3rd this year), and Melissa McCarthy, but there were some strange shut-outs this year. Michael Fassbender being shut out is strange. I mean honestly, he should win the whole thing over George (snooze) Clooney who is basically just going to win the popularity contest. He gives a nice performance in the Descendant's which is an excellent film, but Mikey F. deserves the award. Still...glad for Gary Oldman. He is one of our finest and that it is his first nomination is beyond me.

Posted by: Alex | Jan 24, 2012 5:20:50 PM

20. I'm glad Jonah Hill got nominated his bromance with Brad Pitt is the best aspect of the excellent "Moneyball". But Andy Serkis deserved some recognition too for his amazing performance in "Rise of the Planet of the Apes".

Posted by: jaragon | Jan 24, 2012 6:01:36 PM

21. Very good written article. It will be helpful to anyone who uses it, including yours truly. Keep up the good work – for sure i will check out more posts. http://www.louboutinshoes2u.com

Posted by: Christian Louboutin Sale | May 4, 2012 9:41:45 PM

22. I absolutely love this site.. shoes came right on time nd they areee generous got 2 pairs and the stitching A quality love them, The design and the look of your site are really nice! It makes my reading even more interesting and pleasant! - http://www.kisslouboutin.com/

Posted by: Discount Christian Louboutin Shoes | May 4, 2012 9:41:59 PM

23. This is the best blog I’ve ever seen in my life! I really appreciate you taking the time out of your day to share this with everyone. http://www.christianlouboutinshoesexy.com

Posted by: Christian Louboutin | May 4, 2012 9:42:11 PM