84th Annual Academy Award Nominations Handed Out: FULL LIST

Nominees

Comments

1. Dback says

Well, if we were replicating the “Brokeback Mountain” scenario from 2006, the film that’s won the overwhelming majority of awards coming into the ceremony and thus should be favored to win would be “The Artist.” However, in 2006 the Academy voted for the worst-reviewed, lowest-grossing, most unfamiliar of the nominees, so if history repeated itself this year the top award would go to “Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close” (which also, interestingly, starred Sandra Bullock).

However, since there’s no gay love story in “The Artist” to piss off Oscar voters and cause them to shoot their mouths off with blatant homophobia, it’s probably going to win Best Picture, and “Hugo” will take Best Director, and everyone will gas on and on about how this year’s awards are tributes to the history and magic of the movies, blah blah blah.

Then they’ll all go back to counting their money from the “Ghost Rider” sequel and planning the next “Transformers” movie.

2. Matt26 says

I know @Date older women is one of those messages coming automatically from somewhere, but what a nick to his web site. lol.

Hopefully Gary Oldman gets his first and Meryl Streep her third.

3. the only hank in l.a. says

For me, since ‘Crash’ the Oscars are just another contest. Also, like many others, I haven’t seen all of the nominees. Of the nominees I have seen, Hugo was my favorite. The adaptation from the book’s illustrations & storyline to the screen is spot on, terrific performances from everyone, of course the direction (love the opening shot swooping down through Paris) and 3D used to add depth to an already eye-popping set. I thought it was a magical film.

In acting, two words: Demian Bichir. ‘A Better Life’ was my favorite film not nomimated and Bichir’s performance was beautiful to watch.

I’m also pleased about nominations for Midnight in Paris, The Help, Christopher Plummer, Jessica Chastain and Melissa McCarthy.

To paraphrase, I rely on the kindness of screeners to round out my Oscar viewing so I’m looking forward to seeing a few more flicks. And ‘The Artist’ is playing at the Vista in L.A. so I hope to catch the film while it’s there-a film about the 20’s at a theater that was built during the same time-what a fun match-up.

4. UWSGUY says

Terrible year for american films. I cannot believe that EXTREMELY LOUD… got a nomination. HUGO is just not a great film. See the foreign language nominees for real filmmaking. Hollywood wonders why its box office is down $500M? Because Hollywood is dead.

5. MichaelJ says

As usual, I am more disappointed by who and what didn’t get nominated than by those who did.
    Actors that should definately have been nominated: Michael Shannon, “Take Shelter”; Albert Brooks, “Drive”; Corey Stoll, “Midnight in Paris”; Patton Oswalt, “Young Adult”; Charlize Theron, “Young Adult”; Elizabeth Olsen (who has so much more talent than her famous twin sisters), “Martha Marcy May Marlene.”
    Pictures as worthy as those nominated for Best Picture and/or Best Director: “Moneyball” directed by Bennet Miller; “Tinker, Tailor…” directed by Tomas Alfredson, “A Separation” directed by Asghar Farhadi (it did get nominations for Best Foreign Language Picture and Best Original Screenplay; “Young Adult” directed by Jason Reitman, and “The Interupters” directed by Steve James, which didn’t even make the first cut for potential nominees in the Best Documentary category — a major snub.
    I also was glad to see that Gary Oldman, “Tinker, Tailor…” made the cut, since his nomination wasn’t considered a sure thing. Ditto for “Footnote,” a great Israeli film nominated for Best Foreign Language Film.

6. JoeInSF says

In 20 years, “Tree of Life” is the only movie people will be still be talking about and debating. It is a masterpiece…in the same way that great literature is not understood and appreciated by everyone.

7. Ron says

No Oscar love for Michael Fassbender (and his HUGE cock? What a SHAME! Seriously though, he was terrific in the film and I’m surprised he wasn’t nominated. My picks for the major awards are:
    Film: The Artist Director: Alexander Payne Lead Actor: Brad Pitt Lead Actress: Viola Davis/Meryl Streep (tie) Supporting Actor: Jonah Hill Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer

8. endo says

LOL! Tree of Life is overwrought, pretentious tripe. It has a few interesting ideas and some amazing special effects… that all add up to very little. The only people talking about it in 20 years will be college kids tripping on Substance D (or whatever mind-altering substance science develops between now and then).

9. says

i saw Tree of Life five times in the cinema. I hope it wins every single thing it’s nominated for.

otherwise, this is a terribly dull year for nominees.

who knew? the actual Superbowl has the edge with men in tights and madonna and the Gay Superbowl looks like a snooze-fest.
    BOOOORING.

Tree of Life was a hugely important and singular work. Expect the same angry diatribes against it from the same type of people who furiously dislike “Mulholland Drive”

It’s a film that reveals more and more with repeat viewings. not for all tastes. it’s an ART film, folks.

Tree of Life will be talked about 100 years from now.

10. jim says

Surprised to see Margin Call in the list at all (original screenplay). Sad to see Margin Call not mentioned in any of the major categories! Amazing film, amazing performances (surprisingly nuanced, in the case of Demi Moore!). It debuted at Sundance–has it even had a general release yet? Sadly overlooked film with a cadre of incredible actors who obviously love their craft.

11. Alex says

The EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE, WAR HORSE, and HUGO got any nominations over films that got shut out, like Shame and Young Adult is beyond me. I am happy for “A Separation,” Meryl Streep (who should definitely win her 3rd this year), and Melissa McCarthy, but there were some strange shut-outs this year. Michael Fassbender being shut out is strange. I mean honestly, he should win the whole thing over George (snooze) Clooney who is basically just going to win the popularity contest. He gives a nice performance in the Descendant’s which is an excellent film, but Mikey F. deserves the award. Still…glad for Gary Oldman. He is one of our finest and that it is his first nomination is beyond me.

12. jaragon says

I’m glad Jonah Hill got nominated his bromance with Brad Pitt is the best aspect of the excellent “Moneyball”. But Andy Serkis deserved some recognition too for his amazing performance in “Rise of the Planet of the Apes”.