Brad Pitt | Gay Marriage | News

BigGayDeal.com

Brad Pitt Might Break His Pledge and Get Married Before Everyone Can: VIDEO

Brad_pittBrad Pitt, who has repeated numerous times since 2006 that he and Angelina Jolie would not marry until gay people can (and put his money where his mouth is by donating $100,000 to the campaign against Prop 8), tells the Hollywood Reporter that the pull of tying the knot may be too strong:

"We’d actually like to, and it seems to mean more and more to our kids. We made this declaration some time ago that we weren’t going to do it till everyone can. But I don’t think we’ll be able to hold out. It means so much to my kids, and they ask a lot. And it means something to me, too, to make that kind of commitment.”

Has he asked Jolie to marry him?

“I’m not going to go any further. But to be in love with someone and be raising a family with someone and want to make that commitment and not be able to is ludicrous, just ludicrous.”

Watch Pitt shake his mane in his THR cover shoot, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Gotta love this guy. http://wp.me/p1se8R-1uA

Posted by: DiatribesAndOvationsTo | Jan 25, 2012 3:18:51 PM

2. I'm not finding this a problem at all. He and Angelina are still wonderful allies for the GLBT community...weather they are married or not.

Posted by: Shane | Jan 25, 2012 3:23:54 PM

3. yeah - i don't believe for 2 seconds any straight person who says that.

don't care that he's getting married while we can't, just that he uses our plight as his cop out for it not being ready.

i can honestly say, i'd probably get married if gay men could but lesbians couldn't. I would protest and march with them forever, but def still get married.

Posted by: David in NYC | Jan 25, 2012 3:28:56 PM

4. Dear Brad,

I personally release you from your commitment to not marry until everyone can marry. Go ahead and marry Angelina in a state that already recognizes marriage for all. Oh, and by the way, I'd love an invitation.

Posted by: E. Thor Carlson | Jan 25, 2012 3:32:31 PM

5. I don't see how anyone could begrudge Brad Pitt on this subject. He does more in a day to support GLBT than most people do in a lifetime. Best wishes to him whatever he decides to do...

Posted by: MikeH | Jan 25, 2012 3:32:57 PM

6. So technically, your word is good until the going gets tough?

I just want to be clear.

Some of us have kids & spouses that want the same thing.

Posted by: truthiness | Jan 25, 2012 3:32:58 PM

7. @Truthiness ... STFU

Posted by: Trust | Jan 25, 2012 3:36:12 PM

8. Anyone who has a problem with this is a moaning idiot. It was a bit of an unrealistically grandiose gesture in the first place - he'd be dead by the time Arkansas legalizes gay marriage for a start. He's doing what's right for his kids, like any good parent would. Still an ally. No problem at all.

Posted by: DanSwon | Jan 25, 2012 3:50:06 PM

9. Everyone should be able to do this. It was very nice of him to wait as long as he did. It means that marriage means something if a person can't go on without it.

Posted by: Adam Sass | Jan 25, 2012 3:59:06 PM

10. Brad Pitt is a kind and generous man who has long fought for the underdog. (For his post-Katrina work in New Orleans he deserves to be canonized.)

He and Ms. Jolie are decent people trying to do good in the world. Let's not begrudge them a marriage license. They've held out for a long time, and are still among our staunchest allies.

Posted by: Lucien | Jan 25, 2012 4:01:49 PM

11. @ Truthiness, give the man a break. He's put his money where his mouth is and has been a wonderful ally. The reason he cites - his kids asking why mummy and daddy aren't married - is familiar to any couple, gay or straight, who have children and haven't got married (if they're able to do so). Children of a certain age want to see a solid commitment between their parents - it gives them a sense of security for the family.
    While Brad and Angelina have made a promise based on their political beliefs - and have held true to it for a long time - I'm going to give them a very easy pass if they decide to break it.
    Their commiment to us gays shouldn't trump their commitment to their own family.
    They've given us a lot of love in the past (and probably will in the future) and I think we should return it.
    Personally, if they want to get married (for very good reasons), we'd be horribly mean-spirited to deny them.
    Hell, if they get married, I'll cheerfully send them a wedding present. They've earned it.

Posted by: dazzer | Jan 25, 2012 4:05:03 PM

12. Get married Brad!

Posted by: Jack M | Jan 25, 2012 4:07:15 PM

13. Neither Brad nor Angelina have helped the gay community at all. They simply issue cryptic comments every time they have a new movie. Angelina is particularly offensive. Never did like her, never will.

As for Brad and Angelina getting married, please, please do so. Then retire from movie-making so that we don't have to listen to your fake-supportive comments anymore since you obviously won't need to pander to gays anymore.

Posted by: jason | Jan 25, 2012 4:40:47 PM

14. Jason, I know you are just a troll but you need to get out more.

They have both donated and been very vocal in support of marriage equality.

Posted by: Bryce Ageno | Jan 25, 2012 4:54:33 PM

15. JASON, theyve given a lot of money and a lot of time to LGBT causes and I would bet a hell of a lot more than you have, so feel free to STFU

Posted by: JWL | Jan 25, 2012 4:55:45 PM

16. Jason your self-loathing makes your comment moot. You bash gay people daily on this blog. Brad and Angelina do more for the gay community every time they take a breath than you do. Let me know the last time you spoke positively about the gay community, yeah didn't think so...the last time you gave a dime to help the community, never mind $100K, yeah didn't think so... It's really sad that the only way you feel you can get any attention is by trolling on a blog comment board. Maybe you just need a hug, but I'm thinking psychiatric help is more in order.

Posted by: Kenneth | Jan 25, 2012 5:05:33 PM

17. "Maybe you just need a hug, but I'm thinking psychiatric help is more in order."

Maybe he just needs his brain f**ked out.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Jan 25, 2012 5:16:20 PM

18. I don't care about you. I stand by my comments. Brad and Angelina have not done any movie roles that would help the GLBT community.

Angelina is a weirdo.

Posted by: jason | Jan 25, 2012 5:30:53 PM

19. In general, I agree with everyone on here. The only problem I have with this is *if* Brad uses this as a way to talk about how hard his decision to get married is.

Of course he should be able to get married. I just don't like how some straight allies try to score points over how "hard" it is to enjoy straight privilege. Again, I'm not saying Brad's doing this -- I just hope he doesn't. Can't have your cake and eat it, too.

Posted by: James Q. | Jan 25, 2012 5:42:46 PM

20. >Maybe he just needs his brain f**ked out.<

Go right ahead. But don't come back and tell us about it. I want to keep my lunch down.

Posted by: TJ | Jan 25, 2012 6:00:15 PM

21. What Brad and Angelina do in their private life is none of my business. If they want to continue to make a political statement out of their marital status, I'd counsel one of these alternatives:

1. Lobby the California Legislature to repeal the prohibition on forming domestic partnerships by heterosexual couples under the age of 62, and then register as domestic partners.

2. Marry in a state that practices marriage equality.

Posted by: Rich | Jan 25, 2012 6:02:15 PM

22. I thought it was silly to begin with. You don't have to abstain from getting married to be an advocate for marriage equality. I certainly won't think any less of him for doing it.

Posted by: Ryan | Jan 25, 2012 6:08:26 PM

23. Brad has been a solid ally for a long time. I HATE holier-than-thou gay men who revel in being oppressed and begrudge Brad his marriage. Gays like this should please STAY OUT OF POLITICS and STFU. You are hindering gay progress, not helping.

Posted by: will | Jan 25, 2012 6:17:08 PM

24. Wow, it's nice to see a comments thread here that's full of generosity and good spirit (well, of course, except for Jason/Rick, but that's impossible).

Posted by: Zlick | Jan 25, 2012 7:02:01 PM

25. kudos to Brad and Angelina for bringing this up. I am sure, even once they are married, they will continue to fight for our rights, as well. I am sure when they do the inevitable press around their own nuptials that they will continue to bring up this issue.

Posted by: downtownla | Jan 25, 2012 7:11:02 PM