News: Don Cornelius, Macy's, James Clementi, South Africa

RoadFour men sentenced to 18 years for murder of South African lesbian.

RoadAnti-gay Minnesota for Marriage raises $830,000 to ban same-sex marriage.

RupaulRoadRich Juzwiak spends a week with 'America's most famous drag queen', RuPaul. And don't miss the outtakes.

RoadREPORT: Snooki pregnant...

RoadPfizer recalls birth control pills because they may not prevent pregnancy.

RoadRufus Wainwright announces new album: "Produced by none other than Mark Ronson, this is the seventh studio album from the Canadian singer that follows 2010's quietly intimate outing 'All Days Are Nights: Songs for Lulu.' The first single to be taken of the LP is the uptempo title track that should be unveiled soon."

RoadSoul Train creator Don Cornelius dead of apparent suicide.

RoadNeil Patrick Harris unveils new M&M, Ms. Brown: “Who in their lifetime gets that kind of ask?” Harris said. “It’s like the greatest job ever, so I said yes.”

RoadCakeThe horror! Hate group AFA freaks over Macy's wedding ad featuring cake with two grooms.

RoadApple bug sends iMessages to a stranger's phone.

RoadNOM demands Chris Christie withdraw Supreme Court nomination of openly gay Republican attorney and mayor Bruce Harris.

RoadMontclair State University hit with more anti-gay bias incidents like the one last October: "On January 26th, the words, 'Die Fags,' were written in marker on the wall adjacent to room 104K in the Student Center CSI complex.  On
January 27th, a written note with the words, 'you will die soon Faggots,' was reported to have been left under the door of room 104K.  And, on January 30th, the words, 'Fags will die on 2/7,' was written on the wall of the first floor women’s restroom near the Rathskellar."

RoadTyler Clementi's gay brother James, writes letters to his late brother: "When you were here with me, you had no idea how important you were, and it took your death to make that point. Now you are gone. How will you know how much I love you, how much we all do? It’s not like you can read your big cover story. It’s not as though you can hear me crying."

RoadBroadway flash: Taylor Swift will not be destroying Les Miserables.

BowmanRoadJosh Bowman's work-out routine: "I wake-up in the morning and brush my teeth. My toothbrush and deodorant are my only dumbbells.”

RoadMTV and LOGO to air "It Gets Better" special featuring Dan Savage, Zachary Quinto, and Adam Levine. "EW has exclusively learned that the sister cable networks are jointly prepping a special titled It Gets Better, which will chronicle the stories of three young people struggling with LGBT issues."

RoadGay Imam to wed south African lesbians under Islamic rites: "Zukayna and Sadia met 20 years ago when Sadia, a taxi operator, was driving Zukayna and a group of school friends from Manenberg to the beach. The happy couple lived together for 14 years before getting married."

RoadQueer Occupy Wall Street to protest HRC's NYC gala: "Queer/LGBTIQA2Z Occupy Wall Street, a caucus of the NYC based Occupy Wall Street movement, announced today that it will protest a Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Gala honoring Goldman Sachs on Saturday February 4, 2012 at the Waldorf Astoria. In contrast to the $650 a plate Gala, the Queer/LGBTIQA2Z Caucus will host a 'Guerrilla Potluck' on the sidewalk outside of the prestigious hotel at 50th Street & Park Avenue from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Comments

1. HONORING GOLDMAN SACHS? Are they crazy? Go read Taibbi's stuff about Goldman if you're not familiar.

Posted by: Butch | Feb 1, 2012 3:55:43 PM

2. I will call Josh Bowman a honey. Lovely face and smile. Oooh baby.

Posted by: Matt26 | Feb 1, 2012 4:03:04 PM

3. Wow, really HRC? Goldman Sachs? Its like its HRC mission to lose the trust and respect of LGBT people.

Posted by: KP | Feb 1, 2012 4:04:49 PM

4. I love NPH and David Burtka and their two babies. If you follow the link provided look to the bottom of that page and you'll see photos of NPH/David taking Harper and Gideon to brunch. In one foto David is holding Gideon who is laughing. NPH is holding Harper who is wearing a pair of baby-girl sunglasses. So cute. These are probably the two most-loved babies in Hollywood.

They are the best of Hollywood's gay couples and gay Dads.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Feb 1, 2012 4:20:47 PM

5. So does that mean that Adam Levine has officially come out? The rumors have been around for ages, and everyone else on that show is gay.

Oh, and thanks for making me cry with the Tyler Clementi story. I've known two suicides in the past two months just in my neighborhood.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 1, 2012 4:25:52 PM

6. Andy... announcing Snookie is pregnant, and the very next story is about Pfizer recalling their birth control pills. PRICELESS. I am rolling on the floor!

Posted by: 99% | Feb 1, 2012 4:34:54 PM

7. "Queer/LGBTIQA2Z Occupy Wall Street"

That mangled appellation tells me everything I need to know about this Looney Tune OWS spinoff group. Can you say "fringe"?

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Feb 1, 2012 4:34:59 PM

8. So deeply saddened to hear of Don Cornelius's suicide. Always strange to contemplate why someone who could look back over a life of great achievement would check out of this life.

Anyway, this white boy grew up with Soul Train, never missing it back in its 70's heyday, horrifying my conservative parents in the process. I loved the music (the 70's were inarguably the Golden Age of black music), the clothes, the dances, and The Hip One presiding over it all with his unduplicatable style, which will live on in memories forever.

RIP.

Posted by: Rick | Feb 1, 2012 4:37:35 PM

9. I simply broke down sobbing when I read James Clementi's letters to his little brother Tyler. I have been so very lucky in that I have five older brothers and was always the little 'gay' one in the bunch. Yes, they made my life a brotherly hell but I can tell you that they never let anyone outside the family degrade, belittle or hurt me for being gay. Once, when I was twelve and going into Junior High, a group of older Freshmen followed me home and beat me up. When I got home the brother I shared a room with asked, "what happened to your face?" and I cried and told him they had hurt me.

All five of my brothers and my gay sister (she is older then me) jumped in the car and beat the crap out of that whole carload of guys. My brothers were tough but I can tell you my sister was the toughest and with fists flying she aimed to bust a nose or two.

That's how lucky I've been. They all came to our wedding (Greg and mine) with their own wives and children. They've never treated me as an embarassment and our son Steven is the most adored grandson and nephew. When Steven turned three my Dad, who has six other grandkids, converted his prized backyard into a playground with handmade swings and a slide - all for Steven. Christmas is unbelievable and we have to beg them all to tone it down on the presents yet Steven is inundated with every toy you can think of.

So I like to tell other gay people who might think their lives are less-than everyone elses that they aren't - not by a long shot. And if you ever feel you can't go on with life then please speak out, reach out - because there are people who do care about you. We are all family.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Feb 1, 2012 4:38:22 PM

10. not my blog, but, Don Cornelius deserves more than a mere News post..!

Posted by: Jeff | Feb 1, 2012 4:41:50 PM

11. Only 18 years sentence for the brutal murder of one of our own--stoned and stabbed to death--and not a single comment...

She deserved better and they all deserve a lifetime sentencing...

Posted by: luminum | Feb 1, 2012 5:09:40 PM

12. @OS2Guy, your comments about parenting are fantastic.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 1, 2012 5:17:31 PM

13. Ru has a little place in my heart always next to Joan Rivers. On the show last week her "Queen down! Queen down!" when they fell off the platform, just makes me laugh out loud. I know in some circles it's trendy to diss them both.

Posted by: MarkUs | Feb 1, 2012 6:25:19 PM

14. Josh Bowman's work-out routine: "I wake-up in the morning and brush my teeth. My toothbrush and deodorant are my only dumbbells.”

it shows..actually your real work out routine is being in your 20's...time will be cruel to you.

Posted by: asfasf | Feb 1, 2012 6:25:31 PM

15. @Luminum: The default minimum sentence for murder in South Africa is 15 years. The fact that the murderers were 16 and 17 years old at the time would have been considered as a significant mitigating factor, while the homophobia was considered as an aggravating factor. (That's what's a big deal - it sets a precedent for treating homophobia as an aggravating factor in sentencing.) If they had been older, they would have got much longer sentences.

Anyway, judging from the SA local media the local LGBT activist groups are satisfied with the sentences - for example, https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150645029828594 and http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Activists-happy-with-lesbians-killers-sentencing-20120201

Posted by: aj | Feb 1, 2012 6:37:07 PM

16. HRC is honoring companies that have gone there and beyond for gays in the workplace. Goldman Sachs is only one of the companies being honored that night. Too bad the WHOLE story wasn't presented, only the inflammatory parts. Reminds me of the kind of reporting done by Fox News.

Posted by: Jeff | Feb 1, 2012 8:47:16 PM

17. The letters from James Clementi to his brother Tyler are heart-breakingly beautiful.

Posted by: Mark M | Feb 2, 2012 12:41:44 AM

18. OS2guy - your story puts a smile on my face and delight in my heart. Your wonderful fortune in life is truly family and extending the feeling to us is beautifully generous. Thank you. Such details of a life make this blog far more meaningful than usual.

Posted by: uffda | Feb 2, 2012 12:56:57 AM

19. I'm not sure if Andy highlighted this elsewhere, but this article in the New Yorker is the most detailed look at the situation surrounding Tyler during his final weeks:

Posted by: Eric | Feb 2, 2012 8:32:19 AM