Debbie Wasserman Schultz | Gabrielle Giffords | News

Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz Breaks Down at Farewell for Rep. Gabrielle Giffords: VIDEO

Dw_schultz

Congress bid farewell this morning to Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, and DNC Chair Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz broke down as she said good-bye and read aloud Giffords' resignation letter. Giffords then presented her letter to weeping House Speaker John Boehner.

Watch the emotional ceremony, AFTER THE JUMP...

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

1. God bless you, Gabrielle.

Posted by: Brian | Jan 25, 2012 1:23:40 PM

2. The difference between Giffords and Wasserman Schultz is remarkable -- a contrast between a dedicated public servant and a naked, self-serving partisan. I'm only relieved that no one was hurt being in the way between Wasserman Schultz and the cameras when she started crying.

Fare thee well, Gabrielle Giffords.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Jan 25, 2012 2:18:47 PM

3. I came here fully expecting to find some nugget of negativity and opps! there it is. Remarkable. You know LL, I watched the event and it never crossed my mind that politics were at play in this event, why did it in your mind? There is a time and place for your "observations" and dull insights into the world, this is not one of them.

Posted by: matt | Jan 25, 2012 2:25:00 PM

4. You're a ray of sunshine, LincolnLounger. May you receive far more than you give.

Posted by: Jon Mitchell | Jan 25, 2012 2:35:13 PM

5. You are beyond Hope and Redemption, LincolnLounger.

May the bitterness of your cold and stony heart bring you much joy in the years ahead.

Posted by: Jim | Jan 25, 2012 2:52:40 PM

6. I was just starting to think John Boehner had a soul, and it made me all teary.

l.l. reminds me soon thereafter many don't have souls, and that is even sadder.

Posted by: bendskier | Jan 25, 2012 2:53:44 PM

7. I hope one day she returns to the top of the podium as Speaker of the House! God Speed Congresswoman Giffords on your recovery.

Posted by: Brian | Jan 25, 2012 3:08:25 PM

8. LL, in case you did not know, Reps. Gifford and Wasserman Schultz are best friends. Oh wait, that would require you thinking about someone other than yourself.

Posted by: Rev. Verdon Coleman | Jan 25, 2012 3:33:11 PM

9. Unfortunately, her husband, astronaut Mark Kelly, has decided not to run for her seat. While I understand his reasons - to help his wife in her recovery - I fear that Governor Jan Brewer will appoint some wacko to fill her seat.

It's very moving to see the House unified in their salute to her, but sad to know that the Republicans would kill any attempt to enforce gun regulations that might have prevented her shooting.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Jan 25, 2012 4:13:12 PM

10. What a heartless, inappropriate and insensitive comment to make LL. Seems that you are more partisan than Wasserman-Shultz could ever be.

Posted by: brent | Jan 25, 2012 4:50:57 PM

11. LL, you are an ignoramus. Maybe if you bothered to spend 10 seconds googling it, you would have found out that Wasserman-Shultz is one of Gabby's best friends and has been for a while.

Posted by: Ryan | Jan 25, 2012 6:21:40 PM

12. Frankly, I'm damn proud to be in Debbie Wasserman-Schultz's original district, and to have campaigned for her in the early 90s in Broward County. I'm glad that she represents me, and that she has been so successful by being true to her constituents.

Posted by: Cyg | Jan 25, 2012 6:21:42 PM

13. Gabby, Thank you for embodying so nobly the spirit of bipartisanship and service to Arizona and our nation in your years in Congress. We look forward to your return and are poorer in your absence. Blessings!

Posted by: Adam | Jan 26, 2012 12:15:00 AM

14. GR8GUYCA is showing his ignorance because a special election has to be held to fill her seat. Mark Kelly isn't even from Arizona so how could he run for her seat.

Posted by: DAVID | Jan 26, 2012 1:09:02 AM