Evangelical Christians | Evangelicals | Focus on the Family | Religion | Sports | Tim Tebow

WATCH: Focus On The Family's Appeal To NFL Fans

Picture 29

During yesterday's Broncos-Patriots NFL match, Focus On The Family ran a treacly ad in which a parade of children said:

John 3:16: For God so loved the world -- the whole world -- everyone -- anyone! -- that's a lot of people! -- that He gave His one and only son -- His only son -- that whoever believs in Him will not perish, but have life eternal. Life! Wow!

Presumably, the notable hate group chose to build its ad around John 3:16 because that's the favorite verse of Broncos quarterback and SuperChristian Tim Tebow, who famously used to write "John 3:16" in the antiglare greasepaint beneath his eyes. The PR value of the citation is questionable in light of yesterday's game, in which The Lord God Almighty -- with whom Tim Tebow likes to credit his team's victories -- abandoned the Broncos entirely. Verily, the Patriots did whip them like dogs.

Regardless, there's a petition going around at Change.org politely requesting that CBS cease airing ads by hate groups like Focus On The Family. And you can watch a detourned version of the Focus ad designed by Adam Mordecai AFTER THE JUMP ...

Comments

1. For god so loved the world that he created humans who couldn't tell right from wrong and then punished them for something he knew would happen. He so loved the world that he drowned 99.9% of all life on it. He so loved the world that the only way he could think to fix it is to sacrifice himself to himself so he can appease himself to cure an invisible sickness that he placed there himself. And if you're intelligent enough to see that this doesn't make any sense whatsoever, he loves you so much that he will torture you for eternity in a lake of fire.

Posted by: Steve | Jan 15, 2012 2:34:29 PM

2. Focus on the Family believes that Anne Frank is in "Hell" with Gandhi.

therefore they should be ignored.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 15, 2012 2:43:40 PM

3. Maybe Tebow's next Bible verse will be, "Lord, lord, why have you forsaken me?"

Tebowing isn't so cool if you're not winning.

Posted by: birds of a feather | Jan 15, 2012 2:45:26 PM

4. Oh, and on top of that, Tom Brady:
    Knocked up girlfriend Bridget Moynihan, dumped her, and took up with Gisele Bündchen, eventually marrying and knocking her up (in that order, at least).

God loves Tom Brady more!!!

Posted by: Jerry | Jan 15, 2012 2:51:21 PM

5. I don't get this whole Tm Tebow BS... he has an ability to throw a ball... wow.

People today are so brainwashed and zombified...

Just ignore... the adults in the room are not interested in little kids playing ball.

Posted by: Jose S | Jan 15, 2012 3:00:16 PM

6. Is CBS the station that a few years ago refused to air the ad from the United Church of Christ because it was affirming of gay couples attending their church?

Posted by: Tim NC | Jan 15, 2012 3:08:28 PM

7. I think it is a good move for the folks at FOTF to have a child spouting such nonsense. You get the cuteness factor that would be missing when an adult utters such BS. I'm sure she still believes in Santa as well.

Posted by: Dearcomrade | Jan 15, 2012 3:08:41 PM

8. They gladly air overtly religious ads by a hate group but refuse all gay affirming ads.

Posted by: cranky1 | Jan 15, 2012 3:13:17 PM

9. I guess they had to do something to draw attention away from the utter trouncing served to their nooblet hero.

I suppose the most disturbing thing about this article is that garbage like manipulating children into doing this does not faze me in the slightest. I suppose it could either be that I was one of them once (brainwashed into saying whatever the Christian fearmongers told me to say) or that such contemptible deeds from these contemptible...people are so common that they cease to be shocking.

Posted by: Aulton | Jan 15, 2012 3:22:10 PM

10. So glad to see I was not alone in being deeply offended by this ad. One has to wonder how they Christian right would feel if an ad was placed by a Muslim group quoting scripture from their religious book.

I did find it ironic that Mr. Christianity Tebow didn't Tebow and drop to one knee after the game and than God for giving his teammates an injury free game. Makes me question how strong his faith is when he can not thank his God for both the losses and the gains.

I do have to say I was not rooting for Denver to begin with but once this commercial aired I was definitely rooting for Tebow to lose. It was nice to see my prayers answered and I am an agnostic....lol

Posted by: ormedic | Jan 15, 2012 3:40:15 PM

11. Seeing this last night made it all the more enjoyable to watch the god-like Tom Brady piss all over Tim Tebow.

Posted by: Grady | Jan 15, 2012 3:41:44 PM

12. I think that if I never hear the word Tebow again, I might just die happy. You know, like christ.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 15, 2012 3:56:44 PM

13. Grady -- It would have been much better if Brady had actually pissed all over Tebow. At least that way we would have known whether the man with the speech impediment and the loose wrists was into watersports.

Posted by: Pete | Jan 15, 2012 4:06:56 PM

14. Please, PLEASE somebody run an ad featuring Proverbs 23:2 directed at fat football viewers. Thank you.

Posted by: denison | Jan 15, 2012 4:11:00 PM

15. Tatts

every news outlet is picking up on it and showing it at least once nation wide soooooooooooooo

who was brilliant vs who says "big deal"

hmmmmmmmmmm

Posted by: say what | Jan 15, 2012 5:45:21 PM

16. sh@t wrong thread

Posted by: say what | Jan 15, 2012 5:45:45 PM

17. Wait... Jesus was God's only son, but we are all God's children? Which is it? Christians are so confusing.

Posted by: bierce | Jan 15, 2012 6:01:22 PM

18. Awesome ad about one of my favorite Bible verses. Great ad that has so many people talking about Christ. It has been one of the top Trending topics on Twitter since the ad ran, and the majority of responses on Twitter have been very positive, even effusive.

Posted by: Javier | Jan 15, 2012 6:22:31 PM

19. he so loved the world that he made sure tebow won while 35,000 people starved at the same time. Somehow, I am not very impressed with such a god- - pretty pathetic.

Posted by: craig fox | Jan 15, 2012 6:25:13 PM

20. Wow, looks like the bigots are doing a bit of recruiting in schools. (Interesting that they're always accusing us of recruiting children.) The children should be protected from the haters.

Posted by: Mitch | Jan 15, 2012 6:43:18 PM

21. JAVIER: *snooort*

Posted by: Lance | Jan 16, 2012 12:14:36 AM

22. Tom Brady is the greatest QB in world history. He defeated Tim Tebow and Jesus. Someone should have told Tebow that a 33 year old Jewish man would not be a great football player. Don't tell me that you don't believe that the creator of the billion galaxies universe isn't interested in american football. Heathens.

Posted by: jack | Jan 16, 2012 12:57:47 AM

23. Amusing that the Christianity peddlers think people will adopt their religion based on a group of third-graders parroting Bible verses.

Do these Christian fundies really think the rest of the world is as simple-minded as they are?

Posted by: Courtney | Jan 16, 2012 3:05:17 AM

24. Weren't pro-gay ads banned from football games last year?

Posted by: r | Jan 16, 2012 4:53:55 AM

25. I think it's a bit dangerous to start censoring people. The message of the ad isn't hate, but the responses here are pretty hateful. Perhaps if we all tried to "get along" things might go a bit better.

Posted by: Todd | Jan 16, 2012 9:28:16 AM