I'm Gay | Matt Bomer | News

'White Collar' Actor Matt Bomer Comes Out of the Closet, Thanks Partner, Family: VIDEO

Bomer

Matt Bomer, who has up till now lived in a glass closet (most industry people knew) regarding his sexuality, made it public at an awards ceremony and in a magazine article last week. Bomer was given the New Generation Arts and Activism Award from the Steve Chase Humanitarian Awards on Saturday. In his award speech, he thanked his partner Simon Halls, and his three kids.

Matt_bomerSaid Bomer: "And I'd really especially like to thank my beautiful family: Simon, Kit, Walker, Henry. Thank you for teaching me what unconditional love is. You will always be my proudest accomplishment."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Bomer was also casually outed in an OK Magazine article late last week: "In his spare time, Matt admits that he wants to start a charity of his own. 'I think it's important to choose something that's really close to your heart. It would revolve around kids. If you can give kids a chance because they are what is carrying on our legacy.' The actor shares three kids with his partner, Simon Halls."

When asked by Details about rumors about his sexuality in 2010, Bomer answered, "I don't care about that at all. I'm completely happy and fulfilled in my personal life."

Comments

1. There...now everyone can shut up

Posted by: Frank | Feb 13, 2012 9:24:56 AM

2. Beautiful sentiments from a beautiful man but obviously not shocking news to anyone. For those requiring stars officially come out, box is checked off, they can now all sleep better at night and adore him like the rest of the world.

Posted by: Connor | Feb 13, 2012 9:28:15 AM

3. Yay...

Posted by: Dan | Feb 13, 2012 9:32:14 AM

4. URGH!!!

I HATE gay men! He was OUT!!!!! Hello, what planet do people live on??

Anyway, I knew he'd do it this way. Not via the press which he hates but via one of his charitable events.

Posted by: Rowan | Feb 13, 2012 9:50:17 AM

5. Congrats to Matt for outting himself "his way". Perhaps we can all sleep more soundly at night unless....let's see....who's next on the "is-s/he-or-isn't s/he" celebrity outting list? Pass me another Xanax, please! :)

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Feb 13, 2012 9:55:23 AM

6. @ CONNOR

Exactly. What I love is that these a$$holes will NEVER admit that they got it wrong when they insinuated he would do it when he was finished in his career.

I may be wrong but he's doing at the PINNACLE of his career.

What will bully David E do???!!

Posted by: Rowan | Feb 13, 2012 9:55:34 AM

7. @Rowan - No, Bomwer was NOT out. Everyone has seen him with his partner and their kids for a couple years now, but he refused to discuss his personal life (which is fine, and he's been quoted as saying he's felt responsible for the jobs of everyone at White Collar). With all the insane fundy BS in the US right now, trying to avoid controversy was admirable, in it's own way. But now Bomer is officially out, and we can all move on. Three cheers to Bomer and his family!

Posted by: Tarc | Feb 13, 2012 9:56:42 AM

8. This might help his TV career. I guess his current role has leading man potential for romantic situations, but it's really a classic cop buddy show with a Beverly Hills Cop twist. As such, it not particularly sexed up.

Posted by: anon | Feb 13, 2012 9:59:22 AM

9. @Rowan: with signing his 3rd movie deal with a big director in 9 months we are just seeing the beginning of his real career which will be in film, his talent wasted on tv. David is a joke, now he can just chase Cooper.

Posted by: Connor | Feb 13, 2012 10:09:38 AM

10. Just a beautiful guy in every sense. Congratulations, Matt!

Posted by: Robert in NYC | Feb 13, 2012 10:11:08 AM

11. @Rowan. I don't hate gay men like you do. I feel sorry for gay men like you that take their disapproval of one gay man's behavior and then turn it into some self hating diatribe.

Posted by: QJ201 | Feb 13, 2012 10:15:45 AM

12. Anderson, are you watching?

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Feb 13, 2012 10:20:56 AM

13. Oh please QJ201

You know what I mean. Of course I am generalising but I won't lie that I don't loathe the kind of gay of Queerty and here who are so aggressively mean to certain gay celebs who they deem not out but give nasty mean Diva's a pass or blatant closeted gay guys like Gyllenhaal some hero status.

The relentless bullying of Bomer was depressing and spiteful. The irony was that none of you even liked the guy NOR knew anything about him, yet out you were assuming why he was doing what he was doing. Crazy.

Anon,

I don't want to argue with your point but I am curious on what evidence you are basing that on? YOUR opinion or actually a little bit of research on fangurl sites like Tumblr and Twitter? Because I am not basing this on my opinion but on social media sites frequented by girls.

NO ONE bar straight guys see White Collar as a buddy show. It might be but every other second on Twitter is filled with 'Oh my god, his eyes in WC! He's so HOT! Take me Bomer! Why are gay!!? What a waste! Sex on legs! Man of my dreams! Sexiest man alive!'

Lol, a bunch of 18 year old girls or housewives are hardly sitting there watching WC and thinking 'oh was a good buddy cup show and that man is rather sweet looking'...

Oh don't get me started on the shipping! Alex & Neal, Neal & Sara.

Dude you really don't understand how women work huh? ;-)

Posted by: Rowan | Feb 13, 2012 10:31:50 AM

14. Good for him.
    @Tac, saw the partner and the kids, he was out. WE can ALL move on means you can move on, because I didn't need these official announcement.

Posted by: Matt26 | Feb 13, 2012 10:33:04 AM

15. One typical Twitter post...

"@faithmoav
    Faith Moaven
    Nooooo matt bomer why are you gay. You are too attractive. #mylifeisdone"

Posted by: Rowan | Feb 13, 2012 10:34:23 AM

16. I'm glad that he found the right forum for officially coming out. From everything I've read and seen, he is a beautiful, talented man, devoted to his family and many charitable causes. I hope the world embraces him even more now, and that more closeted gay celebrities who would really like to live openly but are rightfully scared, might find the confidence to follow in Matt's footsteps!

Posted by: irisgirl | Feb 13, 2012 10:44:27 AM

17. Please, no, don't think his fans are bothered about him being gay. We aren't. And neither this is news to us. The speech brought a lot of happiness to a lot of fans.

Yes, the "why is he gay" is always there but not see that as the majority and assume it's how all his female fans feel, because it's not true.

Most of us love Matt and his family and don't care if he is gay or straight. Also, even if he is gay, he is still hot for us, one thing has nothing to do with the other.

Posted by: A | Feb 13, 2012 10:46:06 AM

18. Congrats, Matt!

Now just waiting for Jim Parsons... ;-)

Posted by: JSH | Feb 13, 2012 10:56:43 AM

19. "The actor shares three kids with his partner, Simon Halls." What a grotesque description of a family! Can you imagine if someone said "Rick Santorum shares seven kids with his partner, Mrs. Rick." Silence of the Lambs anyone?

As a fan, I can say I enjoy watching him on-screen and applaud the charitable work he has done for the LGBT community. On his personal life, I can only wish him the best and ignore whatever comes out of the publicity mill.

Posted by: Hue-Man | Feb 13, 2012 11:06:44 AM

20. A,

I know that most are really nice but there are some who refuse to watch WC because he is gay. But you are right that they are in the minority.

Posted by: Rowan | Feb 13, 2012 11:11:29 AM

21. This is pretty rude...

"@SixIIAK
    theLEGEND
    Matt bomer from white collar is gay... I think ima be sick... #comeonson"

Posted by: Rowan | Feb 13, 2012 11:14:15 AM

22. Oh my god, you people. He's always been out, he just never made a big deal about it or splashed it on a People cover like some have. This is a good example of why he keeps his private life private: He was given an awesome award for all his charity work and all anybody can talk about is that he's gay, something anyone that can google already knew. Being gay isn't what defines him or his life, gay is simply a different way of loving.

Posted by: Deej | Feb 13, 2012 11:15:33 AM

23. When people say "He was already out." Do they mean to the internet savvy gay community, or the general public. Because I don't recall him EVER mentioning his husband on The Today Show, or Regis and Kelly when he guest hosted. At least be honest about it. He WAS living life as a gay man, but he was never out publicly. Ask 100 straight people if they knew that Matt was gay, and I'm guessing only a few would have known that.

Even here he didn't say partner or husband. As far as I know (if I weren't internet savvy), Matt just mentioned his four children. In any case, I'm glad he's gotten to the point where he can be open about his life. Now we all can put our focus back on Anderson Cooper.

Posted by: David in Houston | Feb 13, 2012 11:18:05 AM

24. He said his beautiful family, Simon, Kit, Walker and Henry not his partner Simon and children Kit, Walker and Henry. Did he really out himself?

Posted by: poof | Feb 13, 2012 11:20:21 AM

25. The "glass closet" thing is really ridiculous about Hollywood. There are tons of actors and actresses who are out behind the scenes with everyone around them knowing. But they are told that their career will be damaged once they go public.

Posted by: Steve | Feb 13, 2012 11:21:05 AM