I'm Gay | Matt Bomer | News

'White Collar' Actor Matt Bomer Comes Out of the Closet, Thanks Partner, Family: VIDEO

Bomer

Matt Bomer, who has up till now lived in a glass closet (most industry people knew) regarding his sexuality, made it public at an awards ceremony and in a magazine article last week. Bomer was given the New Generation Arts and Activism Award from the Steve Chase Humanitarian Awards on Saturday. In his award speech, he thanked his partner Simon Halls, and his three kids.

Matt_bomerSaid Bomer: "And I'd really especially like to thank my beautiful family: Simon, Kit, Walker, Henry. Thank you for teaching me what unconditional love is. You will always be my proudest accomplishment."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Bomer was also casually outed in an OK Magazine article late last week: "In his spare time, Matt admits that he wants to start a charity of his own. 'I think it's important to choose something that's really close to your heart. It would revolve around kids. If you can give kids a chance because they are what is carrying on our legacy.' The actor shares three kids with his partner, Simon Halls."

When asked by Details about rumors about his sexuality in 2010, Bomer answered, "I don't care about that at all. I'm completely happy and fulfilled in my personal life."

Comments

1. Why all the fuss? It's great that such a gorgeous, intelligent man plays on our team.

Posted by: Modern Meet | Feb 13, 2012 9:13:52 PM

2. That a very good looking Hollywood actor is gay is Earth shattering how? He works and lives in a rarefied world and he has numerous big advantages aside from his sexuality. I don't hate Mr. Bomer, but am a lot more impressed when someone in a more humble and average life situation [especially those who don't fir a stereotype] 'come out'.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 13, 2012 9:21:54 PM

3. "What do you need, show and tell?"

I don't know what you mean asking what I "need.". Keep in mind, I didn't judge what he should or shouldn't have said.
    If you mean what would I need in order to know that someone is referring to their spouse when they say thanks to a list of names? I'd need them to tell me who the names refer to.
    There were 1500 people there and I don't know why you'd think everyone would know which family member matches which name. I've been to weddings with a tenth as many people and didn't know who the Best Man was thanking when he said something like: "Thanks to Jo, Pat and Ali." would those be his three frat brothers? His three daughters? His step-dad, step-mother and his boyfriend?
    In a crowd as big as 1500 at a charity event, I think it's naive to think everyone could match random names with the people they refer to.

I've seen people use the technique (using no pronouns or a list of names without being specific or specifically a partner's name when the gender of the name is not gender-specific) when someone wants to stay "vague" and not come out to anyone who doesn't know, and I've even used it myself at times.
    I don't consider this speech to be anything like a coming out. If he followed it up with s detailed interview in which he talks for the first time about who Simon is (I'm not clear on whether that happened) then THAT interview would be his coming out to the public.

Posted by: Gregv | Feb 13, 2012 9:42:58 PM

4. Pathetic. Squibb he came out implies he was in the closet which he was not. Since when did being out mean you have to carry a gay flag around with you? Maybe his orientation and personal life is NOYFB.

EVERYONE knew he was gay. IMHO, coming out means you've been either in denial or were in the closet which he was neither.

Posted by: Michael | Feb 13, 2012 10:42:01 PM

5. I love watching him even more now that I Know he's gay. Same reason a woman enjoys watching a male actor whom she knows is straight. It means that either tomorrow or in a parallel universe I could someday meet a man like that and live happily ever after. Thus his appeal is a comfort as I take pleasure in his company.

Posted by: uffda | Feb 14, 2012 1:55:49 AM

6. Never good enough for the some. But good enough for me. He's done more than have many. It's his life, and his timetable. If you don't understand that very simple and fundamental concept, I don't know what else to say.

Posted by: TJ | Feb 14, 2012 2:14:31 AM

7. Perfect. That's the way it should be -- no big deal about his "partner," just an acknowledgement of how important his family is to his life and his work.

Posted by: Hunter | Feb 14, 2012 7:03:22 AM

8. Perfectly executed official coming out for an amazing guy who was never in. Bravo.

Posted by: Sunny | Feb 14, 2012 7:30:13 AM

9. @ Nope

WOW 13 articles! Now YOU go to Just Jared or better still, Mattbomerfan.com and actually see how many articles are around about him. Go on. You can do it...

Considering if Darren Criss so much as farts, the gay blogs are all over that asap.

Did Andy even post the Elvis GQ photoshoot? I think not. Rest. My. Case.

Posted by: Rowan | Feb 14, 2012 8:00:15 AM

10. Well he's got his hewishaca. yes! he wish a carrot inserted in his rear orifice, i won't see the series no more.

Posted by: Joe | Feb 14, 2012 11:45:28 AM

11. GREGV - please google "Matt Bomer gay." See how many current news articles talk about his coming out. He may have avoided a pronoun or otherwise did not use specific enough language to satisfy you, but the message is out there, loud, proud, and clear.

JOE - no great loss. In fact, it is likely you are the type of person one reads about after the discovery of your years-rotted corpse.

Posted by: TJ | Feb 14, 2012 12:10:57 PM

12. I cannot believe people are even still debating this. He's out, move on! He's such a wonderful guy to have on our team and now offically so, please embrace him and all of his great charity work that seems lost in the debate.

Posted by: Really? | Feb 14, 2012 1:54:05 PM

13. Nice guy!

"Liz D. @urstruly_bebet Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    Matt Bomer is a cutie indeed @DesirexBoobskey. Sucks he is gay yuck"

Posted by: Rowan | Feb 14, 2012 3:18:48 PM

14. Good for you, Mr. Bomer! Thank you for your honesty. You have a beautiful voice and now it can be fully celebrated. I hope other closeted celebrities follow your lead.

Posted by: Tez Anderson | Feb 15, 2012 12:19:01 PM

15. The single most important thing that any LGBT person can do for the cause of equal rights and responsibilities for all is to come OUT. It is even more helpful when talented celebrities like Matt Bomer come OUT.

Posted by: jack | Feb 29, 2012 8:53:52 PM

16. I think he just didn't want his career defined by his sexuality. He never denied it just brushed the question away. Look at Chad Allen and tell me he was wrong to obfuscate his sexuality.

Posted by: Shawn | Jun 23, 2012 5:36:09 PM