Barack Obama | Education | Rick Santorum | Tea Party | Teabagger

BigGayDeal.com

Higher Education Dangerous, Says Rick Santorum: VIDEO

Screen Shot 2012-02-25 at 10.55.02 PM copy
Yesterday in Troy, Michigan, Rick Santorum explained why kids shouldn't go to college. There, liberal professors "indoctrinate" them, and "remake" them in the image of Barack Obama. This, apparently, is the only reason Barack Obama wants kids to pursue higher education. Says Santorum: "What a snob!"

Watch and weep, AFTER THE JUMP ...

Comments

1. I do believe another Rick (Worley) can sum up this anti-intellectual dialogue better than I can:

Posted by: Chris | Feb 26, 2012 11:26:18 AM

2. so his kids aren't going to college?

Posted by: h | Feb 26, 2012 11:28:27 AM

3. I love the smell of smug demagogues in the morning.

Posted by: DAVID | Feb 26, 2012 11:28:54 AM

4. Where are the true respectable Republican leaders to call this idiot out on these rants?

PS This assembly was in Troy, Mich ... one of the wealthiest cities in the state and home of a recently exposed homophobic mayor Janice Daniels.

Posted by: JONES | Feb 26, 2012 11:28:58 AM

5. "What a snob." To be fair, it's possible Santorum misspoke. I'm fairly certain he really meant to say "how uppity."

Posted by: Acronym Jim | Feb 26, 2012 11:29:49 AM

6. Well, he's absolutely correct. The mind is a terrible thing to use.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 26, 2012 12:08:22 PM

7. @H -- I was curious so I did some googling...his eldest daughter is a junior at the Catholic University of Dallas. She is taking some time off (a semester or maybe the year) to help work on her father's campaign. It sounds like she loves college.

Santorum is either a hypocrite or completely insane. I vote for the latter.

Posted by: Dev | Feb 26, 2012 12:11:55 PM

8. Obviously, young people should be home-schooled until they're 30 so they're not indoctrinated into POV's other than their parents'.

Posted by: Ernie | Feb 26, 2012 12:20:16 PM

9. YES! The question to ask, are HIS kids going to college? Of course, on second thought, they'd just go to an institution that makes faith and dogma the priority, not critical thinking.

I do wish he'd shut up - for a little while at least, just long enough to get the nomination. Even if he never spouts this crap again, imagine the negative track ads dredging this back up. Loser!

Posted by: TJ | Feb 26, 2012 12:20:39 PM

10. I wonder if Santorum still thinks that the universe is geocentric or maybe that the universe revolves around him.

Posted by: Garst | Feb 26, 2012 12:29:12 PM

11. DEVON - a false dichotomy. He can be both.

Posted by: TJ | Feb 26, 2012 12:45:04 PM

12. DEV not DEVON - damn autocorrect

Posted by: TJ | Feb 26, 2012 12:46:16 PM

13. And above that, attack not track. Damn autocorrect

Posted by: TJ | Feb 26, 2012 12:48:47 PM

14. If we lived in a rational world, this sad rant would be the end of him as a public figure. Sad, sad, sad.

Posted by: Matt | Feb 26, 2012 12:50:22 PM

15. And this from earlier today. I too would love if he won the nomination:

>> “I don’t believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute,” Santorum said. “The idea that the church can have no influence or no involvement in the operation of the state is absolutely antithetical to the objectives and vision of our country.”

Clearly, a Constitutional scholar. Obama can basically sit around smoking until late October.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 26, 2012 12:51:07 PM

16. When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross. — Sinclair Lewis

Posted by: miKem | Feb 26, 2012 1:44:49 PM

17. @MikeM, Bravo and scary as Hell

Posted by: Rontex | Feb 26, 2012 2:20:51 PM

18. Oh I totaly agree with ricky I have no medical experience at all and I bet that if I prey (lol) to gawd I can perform open heart surgery on ricky with no ill effects. I mean things like engineers, doctors, and scientists are way over rated, they could do better by praying and letting gawd do the math. I mean who wouldn't like to drive over a bridge that gawd built by divine intervention.

Posted by: Akula | Feb 26, 2012 2:34:13 PM

19. Where's an exorcist when you need one...

Posted by: Vern Dufford | Feb 26, 2012 2:42:54 PM

20. Targeting the intellectuals is always one of the first things fascists do. Germany, Cambodia, China, Russia and now welcome to America.

Posted by: QJ201 | Feb 26, 2012 2:43:08 PM

21. Spread the word. Everyone needs to know what he said.

Posted by: Mike B. | Feb 26, 2012 2:49:22 PM

22. Love the guy at the end clapping... with a University of Michigan jacket on...

Posted by: Drew | Feb 26, 2012 3:05:18 PM

23. And for God's sake please don't let women vote. They belong in the kitchen or busy popping out babies.

Posted by: Joseph Singer | Feb 26, 2012 3:18:39 PM

24. as others have pointed out, Rick is actually 100% correct.
    higher education is dangerous....to the GOP.

the more educated you are the less likely you are to vote Republican.

this is why the GOP focuses on "social issues" like abortion and "the gays" - their base isnt' smart enough to understand fiscal issues, despite the fact that they think they're voting for "a fiscally responsible party"

educated minds are all too aware of how fiscally messed up the GOP's plans are.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 26, 2012 3:29:03 PM

25. Embarrassment to the Catholic church. I seriously hope he wins the GOP nomination. Obama will win against him in a landslide!

Posted by: MattS | Feb 26, 2012 4:06:14 PM