Gay Rights | Howard Stern | Michelle Bachmann | News

BigGayDeal.com

Michele Bachmann Rips Howard Stern for 'Dragging Her Through The Mud' in Gay Rights Tirade

Sterntweet

Michele Bachmann attacked radio host Howard Stern for "demonizing" her in a widely-distributed clip of his show which took Bachmann and Rick Santorum and other anti-gay Republicans to task for their homophobic positions which perpetuate intolerance and violence toward gay people.

BachmannWrote Bachmann in an email to supporters:

Earlier this week, notorious shock jock Howard Stern called me "the worst person in the world" during his daily radio show.

To conservatives, this message from Howard Stern, a man whose only contribution to our culture was years of corrupting America's youth on public airwaves, was clear: "either abandon your beliefs and agree with me, or be dragged through the mud and demonized on national radio." I don't accept this false choice, and I know you don't either.

While Stern can say anything he wants on satellite radio, his words have an impact on his millions of listeners as well as the people his listeners talk to, which is why I need your help to counteract with our positive message. We must fight back and maintain our focus on what is important.

...

These are serious times, and our nation faces serious issues. The direction that America is headed requires serious discussion by serious people, and Howard Stern is not a serious person. We cannot allow attacks from him or anybody else to distract us from a laser focus on what is truly important: holding President Obama and his Democratic allies accountable for their mortgaging of our future. I know you share my determination and, with your help, our message of prosperity for our nation's future will drown out the noise of their attacks.

Stern is ready to fire back at Bachmann

Tweeted Stern over the weekend:

"Just read Michelle bachman's comments. Can't wait to get back on the air. Spoke with the lord a few minutes ago and he is on my side. If thinking that gay people have a right to happiness is corrupting America then I will continue corrupting them. Time to shun this woman."

Comments

1. I'm shunning you Michelle Bachmann... oh yeah... take that shunning all over your face.

Posted by: splam | Feb 14, 2012 12:18:31 AM

2. Michele, honey? Complaining about being demonized on national radio? Kind of ironic, since you have persistently and with great malice demonized LGBT people in the national media. The shoe pinches very tightly when it is on the other foot, doesn't it, dear?

Posted by: justinw | Feb 14, 2012 6:47:30 AM

3. Hi Mary:
    You might want to read:
    The Lavender Scare: The Cold War Persecution of Gays and Lesbians in the Federal Government

Teens just need to write to Dan Savage.... (tongue in cheek).

Posted by: TruthSeeker_Too | Feb 14, 2012 8:48:11 AM

4. Why bother, Mary will continue to be anti this and anti that. She like most republicans pick and choose what rights we get. Kiwi maybe rough around the edges, and he is, but what he doesn't do is tolerate disrespect for our community. It's going to get to the point where you're with us or against us.

Posted by: GeorgeM | Feb 14, 2012 5:37:22 PM

5. Truthseeker, thanks for the recommendation. I'll check out that book.

And GeorgeM, I will have to disagree with you about Kiwi. He isn't interested in the gay community being respected. If he was, he wouldn't do what would only drive away potential supporters. Neither of you has to like me personally, but I'm trying to make you see how this behavior comes across. Is there one person who would become sympathetic to gay rights because he heard that someone shat on a grave? Yes, I understand your frustration with my position on gay rights, but you need to consider gay people of the future and the vulnerable position that hotheads like Kiwi are creating for them. Your feelings, as normal as they are, are not the only factor to consider here. It's not like I'm asking you to think of the well-being of homophobes. It's your own community that will end up suffering if gays end up with the kind of image that Kiwi is giving them.

Posted by: Mary | Feb 14, 2012 10:50:54 PM

6. I guess you and I will just have to disagree on this one. I did note that kiwi is to, many time rough but I as a gay man understand his anger. I don't like you positions on gay issues, but right to you. Im just not sure if you help or hurt us.

Posted by: GeorgeM | Feb 14, 2012 11:07:43 PM

7. Amazing write-up! This could http://463.blogs.com/the_463/2006/10/say_it_aint_joe.html#commentsaid plenty of people find out more about this particular issue. Are you keen to integrate video clips coupled with these? It would absolutely help out. Your conclusion was spot on and thanks to you; I probably won’t have to describe everything to my pals. I can simply direct them here!

Posted by: cheap bras | Feb 15, 2012 4:07:39 AM

8. @KIWI...sounds like Mary's got a problem with your astute observations and commentary. I'm guessing she's not gay, has few or no gay friends and just thinks of herself as tolerant and psudo-progressive. Kiwi...you've made me proud !!!
    Oh, Mary...take a long hard look in the mirror at yourself. It's not pretty.

Posted by: Paul B. | Feb 18, 2012 1:13:36 PM