San Francisco Police Department: It Gets Better

Sfpd

Just released. This one is outstanding.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Writes the SFPD:

The making of this video was a concerted effort by numerous members of the SFPD with the assistance of San Francisco film maker Shawn Northcutt who produced and edited the video along with San Francisco local musician Lynden Bair who developed the musical score.

"Today our Police Department joins the nationwide campaign to end bullying of LGBT youth by producing a heartfelt video that provides a message of hope and encouragement that it will get better," said Mayor Ed Lee. "San Francisco is a city that prides itself on embracing equality for all and this video is another great example of our commitment to reinforcing our City's values."

Chief Greg Suhr wants youth to know that it really does get better. "This is a first of its kind video for the SFPD and for any law enforcement agency in the United States. I hope this message of encouragement will give hope to anyone who might be bullied because of who they are. The members of the SFPD will continue to work with all young people and reach out to the communities, as mentors and role models."

Comments

1. truly a beautiful piece, I'm very moved...

but what gives with the lack of African Americans here? I do not mean that they should have been included for some quota reason, but I wonder if this signifies the issues with coming out in the Black community... remember all the writing about that when Prop 8 was first voted on?

or perhaps this has more to do with the ethnic make up of the SF area? (never been there, so I do not know)...

again, just wondering... hope tons of kids watch this and call for help if they need to....

Posted by: V-8 | Feb 10, 2012 6:26:40 PM

2. Wow!

Posted by: Duane | Feb 10, 2012 6:29:25 PM

3. Awesome!!

Posted by: Chris in SF | Feb 10, 2012 6:38:38 PM

4. It gets better they say? Tell that to the men that department has brutally beaten and basically executed. It is difficult to buy "an-it-gets-better" video from any police department.

Good public relations propaganda though . . . that's for sure.

Posted by: Ricco | Feb 10, 2012 6:39:55 PM

5. Ok. The lip-biting at 6:20. THIS.

Posted by: Didaskalos | Feb 10, 2012 6:44:11 PM

6. Great video! Thanks!!

Posted by: Mark Allyn | Feb 10, 2012 9:36:21 PM

7. Wow. So proud of our SF police department. I can only wish that every police department shows as much compassion for gay people as we do here in San Francisco. I love to encourage gay people to move here. Come live in The City that loves you.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Feb 10, 2012 9:50:06 PM

8. Hard to believe we've come this far since the White Night riots.

Posted by: BobN | Feb 10, 2012 10:11:58 PM

9. I have never been prouder of the SFPD then I am right now.

Posted by: louis | Feb 10, 2012 10:30:55 PM

10. Try getting mugged and getting screwed by the SF cops. I don't care.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 10, 2012 10:31:14 PM

11. Yeh, all cops are bad like all gays are Jeffrey Dahmers. DINNER'S SERVED! Grow the F up!

While far from perfect, one of the great things about San Francisco is that it has led the way in accepting LGBTs in our police department. With some 200 members, the San Francisco Police Officer's Pride Alliance is the largest out and active Police Officer association in the United States, and, each year, the Chief of Police walks proudly with Alliance members, their partners, and children in SF's Pride Parade. Stories of persistent homophobia in the department persist, and I'm sorry that more weren't willing to come out to the world in this, nor none African-American, but it's still one of those things that will literally save someone's life somewhere. THANK YOU!

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Feb 10, 2012 10:47:10 PM

12. You got it! Cop ARE all bad. It is past the time that we can by into that BS line: "That there are just a few bad apples." Corruption is systemic in the SFPD. Those who are not murdering or assaulting those they have been sworn to protect are covering up for those who do do those things.

It is called aiding and abetting, and considered a crime when a citizen does it.

So, yeah, it is hard to buy into the SFPD's participation into the Trevor Project's pet PSA.

Ask the Black community about the brutal bullying they endure from that police department. So they have gay cops? What? A few gay cops on the force and they get to represent themselves as proactive and caring for the gay community?

They have Black cops on the SFPD too. Ask the Black community how they feel about the SFPD.

Or just Goolge SFPD brutality and see the long list of past events involving the SFPD.

Posted by: Ricco | Feb 10, 2012 11:11:03 PM

13. Only criminals and miscreants have any need to fear the police.

Posted by: Jeremy | Feb 10, 2012 11:13:59 PM

14. I do not fear the police. I was mugged four times in about a year. The police were at the place that I own and pretended to care. But they did not, and then things like the Giants winning the World Series ended their prosecutions or any concerns about hate crimes. It was absurd. I am hardly a criminal or miscreant, so STFU. Two of the muggings were when I was volunteering in the Tenderloin. One was when I gave someone money in the Mission. The police were very nice in all cases, but ineffective.

Judging people who you don't know means that you are an idiot.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 11, 2012 1:42:44 AM

15. "Only criminals and miscreants have any need to fear the police?" JEREMY? Really? Tell that to the female 90 lb. Chicago bartender who was brutally beaten by a cop for refusing to serve him more alcohol when he was drunk . . . tell that to the six Black men murdered on the Danziger Bridge in New Orleans in the wake of Hurricane Katrina . . . tell that to the many Mexicans who are harassed, murdered, and assaulted by cops . . . the Mexican marine murdered by cops in his own home . . . to the women who have been pulled over, then raped and executed . . . and tell that to the many gays in the San Francisco area, the gays in Palm Springs who have been harassed, bullied, and intimidated . . . to the patrons at the Eagle in Atlanta . . . CLEARLY not only criminals and miscreants need fear the police . . . obviously law abiding gays, blacks and women need to be fearful . . . SORRY but one PSA from a minority within the SFPD does not get it . . . GOD only knows how many of the good old gay cops in that film stood by and watched their fellow "straight" cops brutalize gay people, telling themselves that they brought it upon themselves.

It is you who needs to grow up and see the world as it is, not as you wish it would be . . . one big happy, feel good PSA!

Posted by: Ricco | Feb 11, 2012 2:05:16 AM

16. Wonderful. An important message.

Posted by: Matt26 | Feb 11, 2012 3:39:56 AM

17. Cops are nothing but the bodyguards for the monied class. Their objective is to protect private property over all other considerations.

But hey, they like the gays now.

Posted by: Jeff K. | Feb 11, 2012 4:32:14 AM

18. well produced and directed. That ToF daddy was really cute too.

Posted by: Mike Hippp | Feb 11, 2012 7:11:49 AM

19. Kudos to the SFPD! Job well done.

Posted by: Peter | Feb 11, 2012 9:05:54 AM

20. "Stop putting up with other people's crap" -- awesome.

Posted by: Will | Feb 11, 2012 2:51:26 PM

21. Ricco, I feel for you. Getting mugged is a horrible experience but it sounds to me like you are mad at the wrong people. You are mad at the cops when you should be mad at the muggers. This is like getting mad at the person your partner cheats on you with when it is really your partner you should be mad at. If you don't think the cops are doing enough to stop muggins star a neighborhood patrol.

Posted by: Markus | Feb 11, 2012 3:01:29 PM

22. there are two types of police officer:

1. the brave, courageous and selfless individual who is driven to serve and protect the public.

2. the dunce who got Cs and Ds in highschool who wants to have the authority to walk around with a badge, a gun and a club so he can continue being a plebeian bully

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 11, 2012 3:20:38 PM

23. Amazing.

Posted by: Miguel | Feb 11, 2012 6:26:57 PM

24. @ PAUL R: I lived in SF for five years and now in Seattle (grew up in Manhattan). I was assaulted in SF and burgled in Seattle. Both times the police sorta helped, but the reality is, with no real suspects and no major injuries or theft (more than $10,000), there's just only so much the police can do. I obviously don't know the specifics of your cases, but what else could they have done? The fact that you were mugged so many times is awful, but doesn't necessarily make it more of a case for the police.

I don't always assume the police are "good guys" (Seattle has a big police problem these days), but they are human and they only have so many resources. It's also up to ourselves as city-dwellers to reduce our own risk of being victimized yet balancing that with living a full life.

Posted by: David R. | Feb 12, 2012 3:02:19 AM

25. @David R.: You are correct. I should also be blaming the district attorney. The first mugging was by a guy who had been released from prison two hours earlier for---surprise---mugging people. He dragged me 25 feet in a chokehold until I went out. He was charged with 8 felonies and 11 misdemeanors. The police caught him within minutes of me regaining consciousness. Then all the charges were dropped. I could go on, but I don't want to do so.

I also don't think that I should have been shunned by the police for being mugged while volunteering, being knocked out two more times, having my car stolen, and ending up in the hospital. I'm more than six feet tall, built, aware, and in control. I received no help on the second and third cases. On the fourth my business outfit was soaked in blood, yet nothing was done. In one case my identity was stolen; on all of them so were my wallet, house keys, cell phone, and everything else.

Sorry if I have a problem with the police telling me that it gets better. It will, but not with their "help." One of my brothers said that the muggings happened because I "look like money." Wow, thanks.

I was also burgled twice here, but in both cases my 100-pound dog took care of things and I lost nothing. The police did nothing.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 12, 2012 9:50:30 AM