Fitness | News

The Body, Transformed: VIDEO

Furiouspete

Furious Pete says don't believe the hype about workout supplements that wil help you lose weight and gain muscle mass. He can help you do it in five hours. There's a lot you can do with a can of Pam.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via tdw)

Comments

1. How could diet soda contain more carbonation than regular? There's only so much CO2 that you can inject into liquid, or that consumers could ingest.

Many things about this clip seem suspect.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 7, 2012 7:30:14 AM

2. What other 'many' things about this clip seem suspect? It seems perfectly straightforward to me.

Posted by: Steerpike | Feb 7, 2012 8:16:06 AM

3. First of all, this guy looks pretty good to begin with, plus he doesn't look all that bad in the "after" picture. Not very convincing. However, I have heard that most after pictures are really taken before, and then the models let themselves go for the before pic.

Posted by: Jack M | Feb 7, 2012 8:18:19 AM

4. I think this is totally legit - those Before and After pics are heavily doctored - check out the doc Bigger, Stronger, Faster

Also if you're into real fitness facts check out The Angry Trainer - he gives great health advice every day and demolishes fitness myths, bad trainers, crappy infomercial products, etc

Posted by: Mikey | Feb 7, 2012 9:18:14 AM

5. @Paul R: I have read that diet soda does contain more carbonation than regular soda. I think it has something to do with the fact that the regular soda has sugar and the sugar takes up room in the liquid. For example if you pick up/weigh a carton of diet Coke and a carton of regular Coke (same size) you will see that the regular Coke weighs more. It is because of the sugar content. I'm sorry I didn't do a better job explaining this; I'm not sure I completely understand it myself. I just think that the claim for higher combination is plausible. I'm sure some Towleroad reader can explain it better or correct me.

Posted by: Anon | Feb 7, 2012 10:01:25 AM

6. Correcting myself: I should have said corn syrup (rather than sugar) unless you're drinking the real Coke from Mexico.

Posted by: Anon | Feb 7, 2012 10:03:07 AM

7. that's mostly correct, diet pop's sweetener can be measured in milligrams while the sugar dissolved in the regular soda takes up much more space(think how much 20-30 grams of more dissolved gas is) and not to put to fine a point on it but pop is not saturated as much as it could possible contain and varies greatly by brand/flavor as it is but the potential in diet soda is much greater

Posted by: epic | Feb 7, 2012 11:07:51 AM

8. It has to do with dissolvability. Carbonation works because the carbon dioxide gas is dissolved in the liquid. This is how fish breathe: Oxygen gas is dissolved in ocean water. For carbonated beverages, it is carbon dioxide.

How much gas a liquid can hold is dependent upon the liquid. Change the chemical makeup of the liquid and the amount of gas it can hold will change. Since carbonation works by creating small amounts of carbonic acid (H2CO3) that then dissociate back into carbon dioxide and water under a drop in pressure, I would not be surprised if the sugar has an effect on keeping the carbon dioxide suspended in solution.

Posted by: Rrhain | Feb 7, 2012 2:44:56 PM

9. If you ever find yourself at a self-serve soda fountain, you'll see the diet soda tends to take much longer to settle enough for you to fill the cup. I buy it.

Posted by: antisaint | Feb 7, 2012 6:20:58 PM