Anti-Gay Virginia AG Ken Cuccinelli Announces Gubernatorial Bid

CuccinelliKen Cuccinelli, the Virginia Attorney General who says gay people aren't protected by the 14th Amendment and cut his state's ties with King & Spalding for the law firm's stance on DOMA, announced today that he plans on running to be the Commonwealth's governor.

"I am running for Governor to continue the work I have undertaken during my tenure as Attorney General and as a State Senator," he said, according to CNN.

"I will continue my work to strengthen our economy, preserve our liberty, and to promote the principles of smaller, more efficient state government, accountable to the people it serves. I look forward to sharing my vision for the Commonwealth following the November elections."

Please don't.

Comments

1. say what says

talk about jumping the gun

Gov race for Va isn’t till 2014

Va repubs should be focusing on 2012 with Obama leading by 8% in Va against romney and even if mcdonell (current Va gov) were VP Obama beats romney mcdonell by 7%

Kaine is beating “macaca moment” George Allen by 3%

2. Bob says

ANOTHER SANTORUM TYPE RADICAL RIGHT CATHOLIC, AND ONLY 41 YEARS OLD
    Of course, with the priests being directed by the Vatican this month to read a letter from the pope putting down Marriage Equality, he is in step with the church.

Catholics who are NOT pope-kissers living in 1950 need to speak up, or to stop donating money

3. Rev. Verdon Coleman says

Cuchi-Cuchi makes me ashamed to live in the Commonwealth. The only reason he is jumping the gun for 2013 is because VA Governors only serve one term.

I cannot STAND this man.

rant over.

4. CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON says

TO THE OWNER OF THIS SITE,
    ARE THERE A-N-Y REPUBLICANS YOU LIKE? AS A FORMER MEMBER OF LOG CABIN, IT SURE IS DIFFICULT FOR ME TO FIND A “FRIENDLY” HOME.
    THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.
    CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

5. jim says

Cuccinelli…ah yes, one of the fine, old families of Virginia. *rolls them eyes*

@ CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON: a former member of Log Cabin? What happened? Just curious.

6. Bob says

Unfortunately, these days, “Gay Republican” is a term suited only to sorry ass queens who either:
    A.. are so stuck in their ways that they cannot see that the present repug party skies rights to their brothers and sisters.
    B….think that being repug will whiten away the stain of their Gayness
    I SPIT IN THE EYE OF ANY GAY PERSON GIVING THEM MONEY… and I was a republican decades ago, when they had smote liberal wing.

7. LuckyLinden says

I wish Sen. Webb would run. Moderate democrat, former republican, earned his liberal stripes and absolutely no B.S. kind of guy. Sadly, I think he is over elected office and the non-stop butt kissing and fundraising. I am certain its why he is leaving the Senate and why it would be very hard convince him to run for Governor. Just not Terry McAuliffe again. He just didn’t have what VA voters were looking for (seen as too liberal) and we need a really strong guy or gal at the top of the ticket. Someone like Webb, if not Webb. Cucinelli is a nightmare. If you think Bob McDonnell was bad for women, wait tp you see this conservative nightmare.

8. Oliver says

Oh please, this guy is still wearing his college rep tie! He’s probably also wearing his class ring…
    Now he just needs a tiara that says LOSER on it.

9. CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON says

WHILE IN COLLEGE DURING THE 1980s, I WAS A MEMBER OF VARIOUS GAY/LESBIAN STUDENT UNIONS IN OKLAHOMA AND ARKANSAS. AT THAT TIME, I HAD NO INTEREST IN POLITICS. HOWEVER, MY FRIENDS WERE INTERESTED IN THE HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN(HRC). SO, I STARTED RECEIVING THEIR NEWSLETTERS, BUT I COULD NOT RELATE TO THE ISSUES. I WAS RAISED IN AN UPPER-MIDDLE CLASS FAMILY WHICH IS CONSERVATIVE ON SOCIAL ISSUES AND LIBERAL ON FISCAL ISSUES. DURING THE LATE 1980s I BECAME A FAN OF C-SPAN. I VOTED FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 1992 (“H.W.”). SINCE I DID NOT LIKE THE MESSAGE OF HRC, I CHECKED OUT LOG CABIN. FOR ABOUT EIGHTEEN MONTHS I MADE MONETARY CONTRIBUTIONS TO LCR; HOWEVER, I REALIZED LCR’s AGENDA WAS BASICALLY THE SAME AS HRC. I STOPPED GIVING THEM MONEY. NOW, I REALIZE MY HOMOSEXUALITY SHOULD HAVE NO IMPACT ON THE VALUES I WAS RAISED ON. I LIKE CONSERVATIVE POLITICIANS BECAUSE A LOT OF THEIR VIEWS ARE SIMILAR TO MY FAMILY’S AND MY VIEWS. I WAS BORN AND RAISED IN RURAL MISSISSIPPI. MY RURAL VALUES ARE IMPORTANT TO ME.
    THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.
    CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

10. CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON says

“JJ” (22 MARCH),
    WHEN I FIRST VIEWED THIS SITE, THE NEWS STORY ON SCREEN WAS THE “Face to Face” INTERVIEW WITH SENATOR ALAN SIMPSON. WHILE READING THE COMMENTS OF OTHERS, I NOTICED EVERYONE HAD NICE THINGS TO SAY ABOUT THE SENATOR. THEREFORE, I ASSUMED THIS WAS A REPUBLICAN-HOMOSEXUAL SITE. HOWEVER, I QUICKLY FOUND OUT I WAS WRONG. REPUBLICAN HOMOSEXUALS DO EXIST; IN NOVEMBER, WE WILL BE VOTING. IT IS QUITE SAD THERE IS NOT A LOT OF ONLINE AVENUES TO PURSUE. I DID CHECK OUT A BLOG (“Gay Patriot”), YET THE ONLY VIEWS PUT FORTH WERE THOSE OF THE TWO OWNERS.
    THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.
    CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

11. CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON says

TO THE OWNER OF THIS BLOG,
    THIS IS JUST A QUESTION – PLEASE DO NOT TAKE OFFENSE. WHAT TYPE OF BLOG IS THIS? THERE SEEMS TO BE A LOT OF “BEEF PHOTOS” ON THIS SITE. IS THE FOCUS POLITICS OR THINGS ALL MALE HOMOSEXUALS LIKE? IN THE WORDS OF, “JJ,” JUST CURIOUS!
    THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND THANKS FOR ALLOWING ME TO PARTICIPATE ON YOUR SITE. I AM GOING TO SEE IF ANYTHING ELSE IS OUT THERE IN WEB-LAND FOR PEOPLE LIKE ME.
    CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

12. says

@ Christopher Allen Horton;

So what does all this mean ?
    Republicans have been in overdrive to deny rights to gay people and they have cloaked their attitude with “freedom” and “family values” and all of the other palaver….

Republican Homosexuals may well exist but they are co-conspirators in the agenda to deny us equality.
    And the fact is that those same homosexuals identify as Republicans simply because they crave social acceptance.That is their main reason for staying in the closet in many cases.

The rest of us ( well me, at any rate) don’t give a flying phuck about society’s acceptance.That’s why we are not republicans, we demand equality now, no compromises, no gradual steps, absolute equality NOW.
    Republicans are for DOMA, many would reinstate DADT, they have legitimised torture, and then appointed Bybee-the-turd to the Federal Bench, republicans have obstructed every effort by states to bring marriage for all……..
    I’m afraid that when “rural values” conflict with fundamental rights those rural values should be ditched. Mississippi Values are not sacrosanct.

13. johnny says

Yikes, Christopher, check into getting that capslock key pried off your keyboard!

That said, agree with Jackfkn… why be politically tied to the side that is doing their best to keep us in the closet and deny us equality? (and many would love to see us dead or non-existant).

The very fact that you can’t type the word GAY speaks volumes.

You may have fiscally responsible values and southern values, etc, but you can see no way clear to be moderate, independent, libertarian or democrat?

You HAVE to be republican?

It’s suicidal, IMO.

14. says

Christopher Allen Horton…so essentially you’re a HOMOPHOBE (yes, boasting about Conservative values that treats me as a second class citizen makes YOU a homophobe)…and you have the NERVE to come on here and demand we stroke you and your homophobic politicians egos? You are sick. And so is your hypocritical values, and so are your Conservative politicians you fawn over.

15. Armond J. says

Christopher Allen Horton,

You want to be TRULY conservative? stop sleeping with men. You don’t “have a home” as you put it, and Conservative republicans like you are not welcomed on either aisle because you want to sleep with men, then deny basic human rights to those same men you sleep with. That makes you a sinful monster to your Conservative ilk you so desperately want approval from, and a hypocritical, vile, tool to us. No one feels sympathy for your type. You made your bed (slept in it with a gay man, after denying him his rights) now lay in it.

16. Oliver says

Christopher Allen Horton,

I don’t believe for one second that the person writing all that drivel is really Christopher Allen Horton. No one in their right mind would put their real name to all of that stupidity. You are probably just some sick internet troll with some anger issue. Jolted ex?

17. Rob Zeleniak says

Another bigot “protecting liberty” . . . that’s his brand of liberty for white, heterosexual, ultra-conservative lawyers who wear big gold wedding rings. These people are all alike. Less government as long as they’re in charge.

18. Chadd says

@CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON:

I grew up in Springfield MO. I understand “rural values”. Unfortunately, those “rural values” are wholly incompatible with being an out, proud gay man. I hate to break it to you, but you cannot hang onto that rural, Republican mentality and be out and happy. Those concepts are in constant friction with each other. Ask yourself, how many people in your family and from your home town know that you like men? How many of them would cut you off completely if they knew? Hell, how many of them would actually do you physical harm if they knew?

The choice is yours. You can be out, proud and gay, but you’ll have to let go of some of the things that your family taught you. Or if you want to hang onto those “rural values”, you’ll probably have to go back in the closet and forget you ever liked men. You’ll need to get a wife and kids and live the rest of your life in unhappy resignation, but at least you will have your rural values in tact.

19. jim says

Conservative on social issues and liberal on fiscal issues? (C.A. Horton) I truly don’t think I’ve ever heard that combination before regarding a republican. I was raised by a whole passel of republicans, during roughly the same time period, and they were (and are) ANYTHING but fiscally liberal!

I must congratulate Mr Horton–we were in college at about the same time, and back in those days I had NO clue there was an HRC, so deep was my closet. He was leaps & bounds ahead of me at that point. However, it looks like we took WILDLY divergant paths over the years! I’ve completely broken with the conservative bent of my family, however, I still deeply hold very strong values–they’re just different than those held by my family. However, they still love and accept me, finally, but it’s been a journey on both our parts.

20. Mousemess says

If Kenny Kookinelli were my governor, I would get interested in politics in a hurry. Because under him as governor same as under him as atty. general, my rights would be in jeopardy.

21. CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON says

I HAVE A QUESTION FOR THOSE WHO RESPONDED TO MY POST ON 23 MARCH (6:28:51 AM). SO, ARE YOU SAYING HOMOSEXUALS WHO ARE ONE-HUNDRED PERCENT “PRO-LIFE” [NO EXCEPTIONS, INCLUDING RAPE/INCEST] AND ONE-HUNDRED PERCENT “anti-gay,” SHOULD STAY AT HOME AND NOT VOTE IN NOVEMBER? MY NEGRO COMRADES – WHO MOSTLY AGREE WITH ME ON THE TWO-AFOREMENTIONED ISSUES – ARE SUPPORTING YOU OUT OF A “BLIND” ALLEGIANCE TO MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR. YES, SINCE I LIKE POLITICS, I HOPED TO FIND A FRIENDLY “HOME” – NO MORE. THE INTERNET HAS BECOME INFESTED WITH “gay” RADICALS.
    CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

22. CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON says

BY NOW, EVERYONE ON THIS SITE KNOWS I AM HOMOSEXUAL. I OFTEN COME TO THIS PAGE SO I CAN STARE AT KEN CUCCINELLI. THIS PARTICULAR PHOTO [red/blue tie; standing against brick wall] MAKES KEN CUCCINELLI LOOK SO SEXY. AIN’T NO USE IN ME LYIN’ – I WOULD “DO HIM” IN A “HOT” MINUTE!
    CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

23. CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON says

“MOUSEMESS” (19 APRIL; 7:04:22 PM),
    SIR, THIS IS NOT A DIRECT CRITICISM OF YOU; PLEASE DO NOT TAKE OFFENSE. THERE ARE SEVERAL IMAGES OF YOUNG “BEEFY” MALES ON THIS SITE. SOME MALE HOMOSEXUALS – LIKE, ME – PREFER MATURE MALES. TO SEE A SEXY IMAGE OF A MATURE MALE LIKE, Ken Cuccinelli, ON THIS SITE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. [Older guys like “eye-candy,” too]. AS A FAN OF ADULT-MALE EROTICA, I SPEND A LOT OF MONEY ANNUALLY ON FILMS STARRING YOUNGER MALES. ALTHOUGH I WISH THE ADULT-ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY WOULD RELEASE MORE QUALITY FILMS WITH MATURE MALES, I UNDERSTAND THE “TARGET” AUDIENCE IS THE YOUNGER CROWD. SO, I EITHER WATCH MY OLD 1970s FILMS, OR, “GO WITH THE FLOW” OF TODAY’S ADULT MARKETPLACE. IN ANOTHER THREAD, MANY Towleroad READERS HAD COMMENTED ON HOW “CUTE” Paul Rudd IS; I AM GRATEFUL TO Andy Towle FOR PUBLISHING Mr. Cuccinelli’s PHOTO. “MOUSEMESS,” Mr. Cuccinelli MAY BE “ugly and…bigoted” TO YOU – NOT, ME. [Look man, this is just a friendly discussion on how different generations of male homosexuals define “hot” and “sexy”].
    CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON