Alaska | Anchorage | Discrimination | News

BigGayDeal.com

More Anti-Trans Messaging In Anchorage Discrimination Battle

Proposition5Hate

Anchorage residents vote next week on whether to pass Proposition 5, an ordinance including sexual orientation and gender identity in the city's anti-discrimination policies.

As the vote nears, right wing religious groups have been going all out to halt equality. Yesterday they released a video claiming "transvestites" will suddenly swamp day care centers should the ordinance pass and today brings a new scare tactic commercial aimed at small business owners, particularly gym owners.

The script:

Steve owns a gym in Anchorage. But if Proposition 5 passes, Steve will be forced to open the women's locker room to anyone who claims a female identity. If Steve says yes, he'll lose customers. If he says no, he can be fined or imprisoned. Anchorage is already a tolerant city. Vote 'no' on Proposition 5.

Watch the heinous display, AFTER THE JUMP. And to help the pro-inclusion group One Anchorage, click here.

Comments

1. "Anchorage is already a tolerant city" Right. Let's not make it any more tolerant, eh?

Posted by: Paul | Mar 29, 2012 1:49:11 PM

2. Wow, isn't that nice? We're tolerated...

...you know, the same way folks tolerate the cold, biting flies in summer or those pesky native Americans.

Posted by: johnny | Mar 29, 2012 2:02:54 PM

3. This is so outlandish that it is funny. This just shows the desperation of the other side.

Posted by: Rev. Verdon Coleman | Mar 29, 2012 2:31:54 PM

4. The Anchorage bill does cover transvestites. This is what happens when you follow the ideology of LGBT. Gays and lesbians are forced to risk their rights in order to show "solidarity" with any and all conduct that falls under the rubric of "gender identity". The vast majority of transvestites are straight. Maybe they deserve protection, maybe not. But it is a separate issue from gay rights. If we lose, it will be because "LGBT" told us that the 2 issues were one and the same.

Posted by: Josh | Mar 29, 2012 2:45:48 PM

5. I'm sorry, but the gender identity agenda should be detached from sexual orientation. They are different issues, with different merit.

Posted by: javier | Mar 29, 2012 3:05:43 PM

6. South Park already covered this.

Posted by: David Hearne | Mar 29, 2012 3:16:03 PM

7. @Josh & Javier

Hey, no problem guys. As a professional woman with a sphere of influence, I'll be more than happy to accommodate your wishes. Unfortunately so it seems, I already helped fight for marriage equality here in New York, but I'll be more than happy to stop defending gay men when I hear people say that you're all promiscuous pedophiles who spread AIDS like wildfire.

I'm happily married to a man and recognized by the government at all levels as being in a heterosexual marriage so I don't need marriage equality and I don't have issues with getting "read" so this is a win-win for me. Screw you selfish bastards, I won't waste any more time on you "child molesting, AIDS-infected bathhouse junkies" (someone else's words to describe gay men, not mine) and defending your so-called "marriage equality" if that's the way you want it.

Posted by: Kelli | Mar 29, 2012 4:06:04 PM

8. And yet the Gay community wants African Americans to support them when they can't even support those in their community. For shame. Equality for some is not equality for all.

Posted by: sugarrhill | Mar 29, 2012 4:15:47 PM

9. well Steve,(gym owner) you'll probably lose some customers & you'll probably gain some new ones just as well - you win some, you lose some...doesn't have to mean you have to be one the wrong side of history with equality.

Posted by: jockitch | Mar 29, 2012 4:53:50 PM

10. Why "Steve's Gym" ? dammit, I hate having the gayest name!!!

Posted by: Stevo | Mar 29, 2012 5:55:49 PM

11. ok so here it is for you I have been living as a female for over a year now. I am not a "transvestite" I am a woman. I live eat and breath as a female 24 hours a day 7 days a week. never ever do I go in public as my fomer male self. So I have one question me as a female which makes more sense me in the boys bathroom or me in the girls bathroom? Please remeber that I have all the asset of being a woman. so you tell me which makes more sense?. now transvestites do deserve the protection that is to be afford them when the are dressed in femme the should go to the female restroom and when the present as male the male restroom. them aswell as us are there to do business and get out just like everybody else.So in closing the major problem MEN have with us is we live in a PENIS society and MEN cannot understand why anyone with a PENIS would not want to have it.Why would you want to be the precieved weaker sex (female) So there has to be something wrong with us. The problem is everybody in the U.S. is so worried about what the person next to them is doing that they can't live their own lives. I wish they would do an IQ test on 100 people from the we hate the gays group and 100 people from the we support the gays. I would bet any amount of money that the we support gays would have an on avg. Higher IQ than the we hate the gays group. Reason for this Stupid peole hate. Intellegent people accept people for who they are.

Posted by: Makayla James | Mar 29, 2012 7:26:50 PM

12. Kelli,

From what you have described you are not a transvestite and are no longer visibly male. The "Steve's Gym" thing is not the same as simple bathrooms where everyone has the ability to approximate privacy, they are talking about locker rooms which rightly or wrongly (wrongly in my book) don't accommodate appropriate modesty for anyone. While one would generally expect that a male presenting as female would be most discreet in those circumstances, as you know there are those who simply don't know the meaning of the words discreet or modest. It's not "hate" for people who have been raised in a culture where same-sex locker rooms are the exception to public modesty to be resistant to the idea that a person with a penis is going to be in a locker room with his sister or his daughter.

The better solution would be to require that there be at least one single person dressing/changing room like we had at Megacorp. Transexuals didn't need to risk enbarassment or nontransexuals risk offense when there was a third choice for those who don't fit male or female. Personally, I think that all facilities should offering private changing areas. I have never found locker rooms to be remotely sexy, fun, interesting, or suited to bonding.

Posted by: David Hearne | Mar 29, 2012 8:30:24 PM

13. @David Hearse: If you don't perceive a locker room to be a place conducive to fun banter and bonding, it makes me think you might never have been on a team or with engaged in activities with friends you were totally comfortable with.

My experience of a typical Friday night in high school or college (and beyond) is the opposite.
    On a team sport or with a group of friends in college, we'd work up a sweat shooting baskets (for example) for an hour on Friday night, then sit in the sauna for 15 minutes (and I don't know if my straight friends were more relaxed because they were naked or because their girlfriends weren't around or what, but that's sometimes where they would tell the funniest stories and have the heartiest laughs that they wouldn't necessarily come up with if we were sitting around in polo shirts at the cafeteria)... plus, you can't really talk WHILE engaged in a sport so the locker room becomes the area where you talk.
    Then we'd head into the shower with the conversations continuing, and, then get on our button-up shirts as we lent each other some hair gel and talk about our appetites and where we should go next, and then with the momentum of a whole evening of phsyical exertion and getting clean and telling stories and feeling fit and energetic, we'd head out in the same car to a place for beer and chicken wings and call up the girls to meet us. (And they'd hear about the fun we'd had all night so far.)

If any of my friends had had an issue about needing to be "modest" (I don't really think it's modesty, but more like a level of shame) and had gone to a private bathroom after basketball so as not to see us until an hour later, I really don't think he would have felt like "one of the gang" either to himself or to anyone else on the team and/or among the friends.

Since I was always in sports either on teams or informally with my friends, the idea of going to a private room to shower, change and comb my hair would have been a lot like going to a coffee shop with friends and sitting in private study carrels where we can't see or talk to each other. If you just shake hands with teammates on a basketball court when you're done a game, and say goodbye to people you've barely had a chance to speak to, the bonding element is nonexistent and you'd never feel like a team.
    He wouldn't be included in those casual shower-time conversations about how hungry we are and how maybe we should all go eat at this place downtown, so we'd probably never end up catching up with him later or eating with him at all.

As for transmen, I'd have no problem having them in the same locker room with me. But if they felt self-conscious and stepped into the private locked-door "disabled bathroom" or whatever, I could understand considering the way some of the public responds to them.

Posted by: GregV | Mar 29, 2012 11:23:42 PM

14. I find it very telling that the anti-trans bigots are not only pretending that the ordinance is about cross-dressers but even have to use made-up cartoon characters to try to persuade others.

To be fair, why don't they finish their commercial with the ACTUAL image of a tall, muscular, bald, manly Buck Angel being directed into the women's room and explain that is where THEY envision he should be forced to go.

Posted by: GregV | Mar 29, 2012 11:33:26 PM

15. gregV , Apparently most people do not share your experience or perhaps your fantasy. You can easily find articles on the web which discuss the fact that the showers of high schools go unused by the students. I have never attended a school that had a sauna, not even the University of Maryland where I was on the track team. I can honestly say that everything you wrote sounds like something I read years ago on AOL from some guy trying to recreate a fraternity house fantasy. He was shot down by a poster who had belonged to a fraternity at UVA and been humiliated by his "brothers" when they found out he was gay.

Did you tell your teammates you were gay? Did they sit around the A&F ad, I mean sauna, with you and give you bonding and moral support before taking you out for pizza and camaraderie?

Posted by: David Hearne | Mar 30, 2012 11:01:26 AM

16. Anti-trans gays make me SICK. That is all.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 30, 2012 11:16:53 AM

17. Francis:

Locker rooms are designated by sex, not by "gender". This is not discrimination. If you want to pass a law that says that locker rooms and bathrooms have to be unisex, you are free to work towards that goal.

Posted by: David Hearne | Mar 30, 2012 12:02:49 PM

18. @David: I agree that high school showers don't get used by everyone at the age where youth tend to be very self-conscious. In Junior High, we were "required" to shower but it was never verified and even though two-thirds of the guys would do so(and singing "drinking songs" went alomng with it at my school) I personally was too self-conscious with the phys. ed. group and would just change and get out of there.
    At that same age, though, I was not uncomfortable about my own body around outisde-of-school sports teams, maybe because the groups felt more fraternal and there was no fear that anybody was going to analyze and tease anyone about body image issues.
    I'm surprised the University of Maryland has no sauna. I've spent at least a semester at a lot of different universities and every one had a sauna around its sports venues, and all were used regularly by student athletes after their practises or exercise sessions.

Did I tell teammates I was gay? No, not through all of high school and most of college. When I finally told my college friends I was gay, a few of them did have some naive questions. ("So how come when all the guys are sitting there naked in the sauna, you're not getting hard and trying to jump our bones like we would in a room full of naked women?") But the typical reaction was: "I'm sorry I ever made ignorant comments about gay people, but I had no idea you were gay. Don't worry, I'm as comfortable around you in every situation as I always was."
    The next time we went on a ski trip and were divying-up beds, several of them said "I'll share with him!" which I really felt was their way of making a statement to me that they weren't suddenly afraid of being in close proximity to me in any situation. They never asked me the gay questions in a very public place like a sauna, and I assume that's because they respect the fact it would have been uncomfortable for me to answer there.

Posted by: GregV | Mar 31, 2012 11:21:50 PM