Education | Elton John | James Franco | Kansas | Missouri | Mitt Romney | News | NOM | Science

BigGayDeal.com

News: Marco Rubio, Rest Stops, Ryan Budget, Military Pride

Restarea 6a00d8341c730253ef0168e95a54b8970c-800wi Progressive Muslims from coast-to-coast are working toward more inclusive, pro-gay, pro-women congregations: "While far from accepted by mainstream clerics, these worshippers feel that the future of the religion lies not solely with tradition but with them. Women are leading congregations in prayer, gay imams are performing Islamic marriages, and men and women are praying side by side."

6a00d8341c730253ef0168e95a54b8970c-800wi James Van Der Beek loves BJs.

6a00d8341c730253ef0168e95a54b8970c-800wi A little gay-related blind item for all you quiz lovers.

6a00d8341c730253ef0168e95a54b8970c-800wi The House of Representatives passed Paul Ryan's budget by a 228-191 vote.

6a00d8341c730253ef0168e95a54b8970c-800wi To the surprise of no one, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio endorsed Mitt Romney today. He promises, however, he does not have his eye on the vice presidency, but claims President Obama's "flexibility" with Russia helped sway him, to which I say, "yes you do," and "no it didn't."

6a00d8341c730253ef0168e95a54b8970c-800wi Good news in Missouri: "The Camdenton R-III school district in central Missouri has agreed to stop blocking certain nonsexual websites that pertain to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender issues, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) said late Wednesday night. The school district will also agree to be monitored for 18 months and pay $125,000 in legal fees and costs."

6a00d8341c730253ef0168e95a54b8970c-800wi Bad news in Kansas: The state's House yesterday approved a measure allowing organizations to discriminate against LGBT people based on religious reasons.

FrancoBreakers6a00d8341c730253ef0168e95a54b8970c-800wi Sex in a rest stop: "This has been going on for a long, long time. The new ways that men meet — endlessly staring into phones, searching on hookup apps like Grindr or sites like Manhunt — haven’t changed the fact that we’re still having sex at rest areas, because they offer something different... Sex at the rest area, instead, abolishes identity; there’s a sort of freedom there to not be anything – instead, men just meet other men there; men who want the same sort of freedom."

6a00d8341c730253ef0168e95a54b8970c-800wi James Franco looks rough for Spring Breakers.

6a00d8341c730253ef0168e95a54b8970c-800wi President Obama addresses Planned Parenthood supporters.

6a00d8341c730253ef0168e95a54b8970c-800wi Tori Spelling has a new gig as host of TLC's Craft Wars. Sounds intense.

6a00d8341c730253ef0168e95a54b8970c-800wi With DADT's repeal, gay pride finds home at military academies.

6a00d8341c730253ef0168e95a54b8970c-800wi Divorce between JP Morgan Chase analyst Peter Lawrence and stage star Donald Gallagher sets record for same-sex civil settlement.

Brainscan6a00d8341c730253ef0168e95a54b8970c-800wi Bradley Schmeling, the Lutheran pastor ousted from his Atlanta congregation for being in a gay relationship, has found a new flock.

6a00d8341c730253ef0168e95a54b8970c-800wi Elton John discusses bullying.

6a00d8341c730253ef0168e95a54b8970c-800wi My friend Cord Jefferson on NOM's race-baiting: "The ugly divisiveness distributed by hateful people like Brown is a bit shocking, of course, especially in its brazenness. But it’s nothing new. It’s a centuries-old strategy to hurt what could otherwise be powerful forces — divide and conquer."

6a00d8341c730253ef0168e95a54b8970c-800wi Michelle Duggar thinks overpopulation is only about numbers, rather than resources: "The idea of overpopulation is not accurate because, really, the entire population of the world, if they were stood shoulder to shoulder, could fit in the city limits of Jacksonville. So if you realize that aspect of it, we realize we're not anywhere near being overpopulated."

6a00d8341c730253ef0168e95a54b8970c-800wi Take a little trip inside the human brain.

6a00d8341c730253ef0168e95a54b8970c-800wi Malta set to introduce civil partnerships for same-sex couples.

Comments

1. If we expect to be given a legitimate and respected place in mainstream society we have to stop engaging in anti-social behavior like using communal facilities like rest areas, bathrooms, locker rooms, parks, adult video stores, saunas, etc as our own personal brothels.

Posted by: Mark | Mar 29, 2012 4:19:57 PM

2. I agree in theory, Mark, but closeted types won't.

Posted by: solice | Mar 29, 2012 4:26:44 PM

3. that's sorta the thing - ending anti-gay culture will lead to more men, you know, being able to walk into a gay bar or simply living Openly and dating men...DATING men. publicly. having relationships.

as long as GROWN ADULTS continue to give excuses for refusing to come out, and continue to give excuses for these clandestine encounters, things won't change much.

struggling with coming out? there are support and outreach groups. 24hour hotlines. resources. none of which are found in rest stops or posted along the rim of a gloryhole.

there's a world of LGBT people ready to help you embrace and claim your life - but we can't help you if your only Gay Outlet is a hole in a bathroom wall.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 29, 2012 4:33:30 PM

4. Michelle Duggar is a self-justifying and willfully ignorant moron.

Posted by: Mark | Mar 29, 2012 4:36:59 PM

5. @Mark One one level, I see your point. On another level, however, I have to say that most truly "gay" men are not attractive to me. And most of the men who are are not going to frequent gay bars or gay websites. And I think a lot of guys feel the same way.

"Gay" and the subculture of effeminacy associated with it is such a huge turn-off to so many more masculine men who are into sex with other men that they just don't want to have to deal with it.

And I am going to throw this log on the pile, too, in conjunction with both this article and the James Van der Beek "piece" (no pun intended). Have you ever noticed that truly "gay" men never seem to have an orgasm when you perform oral sex on them without some form of manual stimulation, but "straight" men practically always do? There must be some profound reason for that.....

Posted by: Rick | Mar 29, 2012 4:37:08 PM

6. The way that the news of Pastor Schmeling's is posted is misleading. He was removed from the clergy roster by the National church, but St John's Atlanta stood by Pastor Bradley throughout and to this day. We are very sad to lose such a wonderful pastor, and we congratulate Gloria Dei Lutheran in St Paul for being blessed to have him accept the call to ministry.

Posted by: Brokebackvol | Mar 29, 2012 4:44:32 PM

7. @Mark On one level, I agree with you. On another level, however, I find very few truly "gay" men attractive and very few of the men whom I do find attractive will ever go to a gay bar or frequent a gay website.

"Gay" and the culture of effeminacy associated with it is such a huge turnoff to so many men that are interested in sex with other men that they just don't want anything to do with it....and so they seek alternative.

And I will throw this log on the fire, as well, related to this story and the James Van der Beek "piece" (no pun intended). Have you ever noticed that truly "gay" men almost never seem to be able to climax when they are the recipients of oral ses--without manual stimulation, whereas almost all "straight" men do climax? I am sure there is some profound explanation for this and I think I know what it is, but, hey, I am already too controversial, so I will just leave it at that.....

Posted by: Rick | Mar 29, 2012 4:44:35 PM

8. "Sex at the rest area, instead, abolishes identity; there’s a sort of freedom there to not be anything – instead, men just meet other men there; men who want the same sort of freedom."

Frankly, what Habib describes isn't really freedom - it's sexual compulsion fed by insecurity over one's identity. He describes his sexual activities the same way I've heard hard drug addicts describe their addiction: the enjoyable dissolution of the self because the self is not something that the addict can handle.

Posted by: Nat | Mar 29, 2012 4:44:36 PM

9. "Have you ever noticed that truly "gay" men never seem to have an orgasm when you perform oral sex on them without some form of manual stimulation,"

No, actually. That just means you give truly lousy head.

no wonder you hate being gay. you can't even please another gay man! LOL!

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 29, 2012 4:46:30 PM

10. Sorry for the double post. My first was delayed in appearing, so I thought it had disappeared.

Posted by: Rick | Mar 29, 2012 4:46:55 PM

11. "I find very few truly "gay" men attractive and very few of the men whom I do find attractive will ever go to a gay bar or frequent a gay website."

Insecure men who resent "visibly gay men" are destined to a miserable life without love.

you're born gay, you'll die gay, and lusting after straight men only makes you pathetic.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Mar 29, 2012 4:49:46 PM

12. "No, actually. That just means you give truly lousy head."

>pwned<

Posted by: TJ | Mar 29, 2012 4:50:17 PM

13. I think Paul Ryan is crazy-hot.

Posted by: pc | Mar 29, 2012 4:54:30 PM

14. "Sorry for the double post. My first was delayed in appearing, so I thought it had disappeared."

Like it matters. No one on here takes your trolling seriously.

Posted by: endo | Mar 29, 2012 4:56:32 PM

15. I agree this is a phenomenon that persists because of closeted men and homophobia but a bigger factor is the whole anon sex / bareback culture that is legitimized and marketed to the gay community under the flag of "sexual freedom." We have to take responsibility for our behavior and sexual health as adult gay men - and give ourselves the dignity and self-respect we demand of mainstream society.

Posted by: Mark | Mar 29, 2012 4:59:19 PM

16. Rick, I don't know what bars you go to or where you try to meet gay men, (and apparently you aren't going to the ones that fit you very well) but they come in all stripes, just like heterosexuals. Some of the most masculine men I've met are gay and some of the most feminine men I've met are straight. And the rest all fall in the middle with variation. Get over it.

I've really tried to have an open mind when it comes to your posts, but after reading that last one, I can only come to one conclusion: you really need some therapy with a competent psychoanalyst.

Posted by: johnny | Mar 29, 2012 5:10:14 PM

17. Rick, the "straight guys" you're sucking off are probably more turned on because they are doing something new or "naughty", so they cum more easily/quickly.

Posted by: BobN | Mar 29, 2012 5:23:13 PM

18. You are one sad individual, Rick.

Posted by: Francis | Mar 29, 2012 5:45:04 PM

19. IGNORE RICK!
    Rational conversations go no where when we engage trolls like rick. Ignore the trolls!

Posted by: scotsyank | Mar 29, 2012 6:18:34 PM

20. I can tell it's an Andrew Belonsky day here on towleroad because the photos don't line up with the corresponding blurb/link. #so.damn.annoying

Posted by: peterparker | Mar 29, 2012 7:33:33 PM

21. My comment hasn't appeared after half an hour, so I will try this again.

I know Conner, and he's quite capable of defending himself. If you've ever read his blog you would find that he's a thoughtful, compassionate and incredibly intelligent guy. I have no interest in rest stop sex, but it's a phenomenon that's been around in one way or another since the beginning of mankind, I'm sure. To speak openly about it is very honest, and I was glad to read his thoughts on the subject. He's not advocating for the practice, as I read it, but simply describing what it means to him. The dialog that he's opened up here is very healthy and not something I've seen before, so I'm glad the subject has been brought to light. This is a discussion worth having.

Posted by: Stranded | Mar 29, 2012 8:47:15 PM

22. Some of you are perhaps too young or cloistered to know this, but there are totally Out gay men who stop off at rest stops and other cruise areas (like the mangroves) rather than go to the bars or play online. They like the hunt and the danger. Even in San Francisco you have men who cruise parks and alleys.

The only way to put a stop to this is community policing. Pull up, turn your headlights into the woods and call the police.

Posted by: David Hearne | Mar 29, 2012 9:46:43 PM

23. years ago, it used to be TANK all the time; now it's RICK.

(or are they one & the same?)

too bad there's *always* one asinine dummy polluting these comments pages!

Posted by: redball | Mar 29, 2012 9:58:35 PM

24. With regards to the gay blind item, I think it's Bradley Cooper and Zoe Saldana. They just ended their engagement after 3 months and there have been rumors about Bradley for awhile now.

Just my guess.